Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Salters Chemistry F335 12th June 2013 Exam revision thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a copy of the paper?

I'll even attempt the unofficial mark scheme if someone gets me it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badatgow)
    In the second line of the question I believe.
    I thought that was just the concentration, and had to manipulate it to work out moles.. but we weren't given a volume to calculate it? or was it literally the number of moles -_-

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I hope it all went as good as it could have done for all of you.
    Since I am the creator of this thread I will create a poll to see what the grade boundaries will be. Judging by your comments it seems like an average one. Should I add a numerical poll asking what the number for an A should be, or a qualitative poll? Asking how and or how good it went?

ReputationRep:
    can anyone remember what the 'suggest the equation' question was? and what they put? there might have been two actually...

ReputationRep:
    For the MMR of the compound did everyone go for the peak furthest to the right???

ReputationRep:
    I found the paper overall pretty tough, but i'm confident i've done pretty well because I managed to finish quite fast and had plenty of time (like 40 mins) thankfully to check over everything a couple of times. While I was checking the paper I felt a lot better about my chances, because in hindsight most of the questions were relatively straightforwards. While doing the questions for the first time I felt like I was struggling a lot, but that's probably due to seeing unusual thinks like isoprenes etc.

The interesting question IMO was the one about the calcium carbonate shells. My reasoning was that, increasing acidity increases [H+], so second equation equilibrium concentration shifts to the right. This increases concentration of [HCO3-]. I figured this would increase the concentration of [CO3 2-] in the first equation, so equilibrium would shift to the left to oppose the change. As a result, calcium carbonate concentration would increase and the shell thickness would increase. However, writing that down made me feel like a mug the entire time because i'm pretty sure if you pour acid on calcium carbonate it would just dissolve...but I couldn't see the chemistry to disagree with me. Oh well, only 2 marks if i'm wrong anyways.
    I totally agree! Why is that we are wrong if we did work backwards on that seashell Q?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ActaNonVerba)
    I thought that was just the concentration, and had to manipulate it to work out moles.. but we weren't given a volume to calculate it? or was it literally the number of moles -_-
    nope it was just number of moles added (an excess). Some of it was unused (obviously) so here is the titration to calculate how much was unused.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was the mass spectrum part worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stealth_writer)
    How many marks was the mass spectrum part worth?
    About five maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Oh nooo, I multiplied it by 2 I think (((

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david2457)
    About five maybe.
    What did you get as the Mr of the compound?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get as the Mr of the compound?
    32, and the compound I got it as CH3OH

ReputationRep:
    The buffer pH question that involved the proportion of acid and salt changing was as follows:

You were told enough alkali was added to react with half the acid in the previous part of the question (when salt/acid = 1/1). Therefore you essentially now have 1.5 parts salt and 0.5 parts acid, which simplifies down (1.5/0.5) to 3. Therefore to find pH you simply divided the Ka by three and found the -log.

ReputationRep:
    32, and the compound I got it as CH3OH
    Which was the peak furthest to the right??

Correct.?
    How many marks was the CH3OH part worth?

ReputationRep:

Correct.?
    Yes

ReputationRep:

Correct.?
    correct

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Where's the poll?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure if it's correct but: Since we know the colour is "titanium yellow", and we know that the colour we see is the colour reflected i put a curve with maximum at the middle (yellow) going down to 0 at the red and blue ends.
    But the question said 93% reflectance at red and 90% green and 0% blue! So surely it shouldn't drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattywooda)
    But the question said 93% reflectance at red and 90% green and 0% blue! So surely it shouldn't drop.
    i've got two peaks labelled red and green? how did you answer that question??

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was the CH3OH part worth?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.