Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    To the person that says they will grad in 2015 in teaching, you are spot on.

There are many teaching jobs up and down the country, many local authorities websites are flooded with teaching jobs.

Social work is another popular area.

And to those that say about minimum wage / part time jobs - they are fierce too - if you noticed many people in these jobs are older people, organisations prefer to take on the older generation as they tend to think the young folks will leave when they find something better - a business point of view.

@ my course and 8 unis - common sense would say the less unis doing a unique course the better it is for job prospects. Lets take Law for example, nearly all unis are doing this course with about 200-400 students in take per year (if not more) that creates thousands of law grads up and down the country - NOW that makes competition.

Prior to the economic fall, those on my course were more or less guaranteed jobs with local authorities but the economic crisis hit the localities significantly that cuts were made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flavius11)
    As much as I enjoy left-wing propaganda, I think putting the marxist theory away and focusing on what he can practically do to achieve the best he can would be more positive. Yes the economy is bad, but there are still so many opportunities out there for people. If we all adopt the siege mentality and assume 'oh I have a degree so I'm entitled to more' then we'll get nowhere whilst those around us who have a positive attitude will succeed and leave us behind. The whole sense of entitlement that many of our generation have is really quite disgusting, and reflective of a really negative shift in attitude from hard graft and aspiration to laziness and arrogance that seems to have become a British disease in the last decade or two.
    How do you say there are opportunities out there for people? When clearly large organisations are going into administration? If the big players are out of the game this creates no jobs it actually decreases jobs - the folks worked in these large companies would also now be competing with you in jobs...

From your responses seem you to be one of those living off benefits you make things sound so easy yet your comments have no common sense in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    You said "we have no experience"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is from general viewpoint - for most graduates on most courses.

I do have experience within my field, but it isn't vast amounts - not the amount a full time working person would have if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    And to those saying my course is "mickey mouse" maybe you dont keep up on the changes and legislation and targets of the developed countries...

Carbon emissions/pollution, energy, housing, waste - the list is endless its all environmental health...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni=RipOff)
    How do you say there are opportunities out there for people? When clearly large organisations are going into administration? If the big players are out of the game this creates no jobs it actually decreases jobs - the folks worked in these large companies would also now be competing with you in jobs...

From your responses seem you to be one of those living off benefits you make things sound so easy yet your comments have no common sense in them.
    I don't want to seem rude but I don't think attacking this individual is very productive.

There are opportunities out there for graduates and non-graduates. Of course there are. If there weren't, NOBODY would get one.

The problem is recognising when you have the capacity to get a certain kind if job and when you don't.

Sadly, for whatever reason (but probably through no fault of your own) you do not currently have the capacity to get the type of job you want. So shoot a bit lower and, in time, you may be able to get to where you want to be.

So move forward and get on with it or waste more time coming to the conclusion that some of us are trying to guide you towards.

It's a rubbish situation and I have every sympathy. I would probably rant in your position as well. But there is no point chopping down people who are trying to knock some direction into you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well mate, what you give is what you get. If a person thinks they can attack me then they should expect retaliation. In the OP I didnt insult any particular individual or did I?

More on topic, it can clearly be seen that HE is another messed up system. Up until 2006 the fees were around £1000, 2007 til 2012/13 or whatever it was they went upto £3-3.5k. Now they are £9k.

Sooner, rather than later, students of UK will go abroad to study especially within the EU as many unis over there apparently charge around a £1000.

Its just like the industrial revolution where there was endless jobs, despite being labour work mainly it was stil work. It helped the UK economy massively. Now all that was shipped out to India and China mainly, their economies over there are booming and our PM goes over there to "strike" a deal...

Am not blaming any particular individual but the decision makers have run down the economy.

I respect you say aim for lower jobs. However, am not aiming for £30-40k jobs am aiming for the lower end grad market yet even stil there is a LACK of availability in these jobs. Most vacancies say 2 or 3+ years experience - obviously I dont apply for these jobs - the stepping stone is quite simply missing!

ReputationRep:
    And to those saying my course is "mickey mouse" maybe you dont keep up on the changes and legislation and targets of the developed countries...

Carbon emissions/pollution, energy, housing, waste - the list is endless its all environmental health...
    The point is.. your degree has failed you. It's supposed to prepare you for a job - clearly employers don't deem that preparation as adequate experience. The longer you stay out of work, the worse your future applications will look. This means you need to do something drastic. You are at the point where you must act and turn it all around. You have to face the facts. Currently, employers do not regard your current application highly no matter how fantastic it is and you shouldn't wait for them to finally realize the error of their ways. This might go against your own plans you have made thus far but I'd recommend getting any job you can get. It's imperative you don't delay any longer.
    I know competition for even the most basic jobs is incredibly high but you have to try nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    OP...chill out man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position OP, haven't had luck even in retail/customer service and other non-related jobs as well. Most of my friends are headed back for a masters, whilst few are in supermarkets or unemployed. When you hit 9months you'll be in the work programme, and they'll make you do work experience regardless, (most likely as an admin assistant), I will be referred in April. Just know that you are not alone, there's many of us. Youth unemployment is stubbornly high set to increase in 2013, and the economy is stagflating, that's the simple truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flavius11)
    The point I was making was that the guy started there on minimum wage and is now on over £60,000 a year. Sure he works in the same place, but look how his life has been changed through working his way up.
    Ugh, 20 years to make 60k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    OP...chill out man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sticking up for oneself is arrogance - how old are you 13?!

Think many posters in this thread have not yet graduated, or not even gone to uni - they seem to be blowing bubbles.

@ TheRebel - finally someone in the same boat. What do you mean about after 9months? Which organisation is this?

Also it doesnt matter which uni you go to, lets say you went to Oxford, if you didnt pull your finger out of your backside you would fail, or come out with a 3rd - it's about what you can do not what uni you go to... Common sense like I said.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking up for oneself is arrogance - how old are you 13?!

Think many posters in this thread have not yet graduated, or not even gone to uni - they seem to be blowing bubbles.

@ TheRebel - finally someone in the same boat. What do you mean about after 9months? Which organisation is this?

Also it doesnt matter which uni you go to, lets say you went to Oxford, if you didnt pull your finger out of your backside you would fail, or come out with a 3rd - it's about what you can do not what uni you go to... Common sense like I said.
    Think everyone here has gone to uni. I've graduated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daindian)
    I disagree with your point abou universities good universities also do easier degrees eg. Leisure and management at Manchester uni
    How is that disagreeing with his point? Can you read? :eek:

This is like me saying you drive a red car and own a blue hat, to which you reply that you disagree as people with yellow hats also drive red cars. So?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    How is that disagreeing with his point? Can you read? :eek:

This is like me saying you drive a red car and own a blue hat, to which you reply that you disagree as people with yellow hats also drive red cars. So?!
    I had this thought at first.. Bit I think it was in reply to the assumption that OP must have gone to a crap uni to do this particular course (which was also labelled 'crap').

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    I had this thought at first.. Bit I think it was in reply to the assumption that OP must have gone to a crap uni to do this particular course (which was also labelled 'crap').

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps. The way I read it was that it was crap upon crap which led to a bigger pile of crap

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, time for a rant !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too!

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)
    Get a job as cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, time for a rant !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too!

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)
    Firstly, your refusing to work for minimum wage. Why? Just becuase you have a degree doesn't mean it's a pass to the better off jobs. Well maybe it is in reality but it really depends upon your degree, results and the university you've graduated from. I have a friend who graduated in Law last August and STILL doesn't have a puppilage contract. It's not hard to see the reason is that she only gained a 2:2 from University of Leicester. Now at the moment she is a waitress!

Secondly, University isn't a rip off. It's a "No Win No Fee" situation. Yes you have a lot of debt on you. Yes you owe a lot of money. But hey, if you don't earn over 21K a year you don't have to pay a penny! And even if you have to pay back, it will only be a negliable amount per calender month. Most people don't even finish payiny ALL their debt during their life because of the interest rates.

Finally, regarding your issue of experience. Why don't you look for volunteering jobs to gain relevant experience THEN apply for a job once you can prove that your skills that were developed in the previous work is fully transferable and proves you're an worthy candiate?

ReputationRep:
    i finished in june 2010 still unemployed...only been able to get temp work. Just enjoy life man. Why worry? Life goes on.
    What plans do you have for the summer, mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    What plans do you have for the summer, mate?
    job hunt, going on a 1 week holiday with some old friends, that's about it! I'm hoping i get an internship or something in the oil and gas or energy sector :eek:

ReputationRep:
    job hunt, going on a 1 week holiday with some old friends, that's about it! I'm hoping i get an internship or something in the oil and gas or energy sector :eek:
    Unfortunately I can't help you in this sector. My interests are education and tourism business. And also art metallurgy.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.