Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cli p)
    Are you still unemployed?
    Yes I am. I made another topic about it in this sub forum haven't remembered that I already made this. I had my first 2 interviews in August this year (face to face) both in one week lol! I had one with a local authority a few weeks ago it had 4 positions for the same job. Now when I got to the interview they said 3 were already taken due to redeployment of internal staff. On feedback I was annihilated as the interviewer said "we had candidates from a local authority setting with more experiece" - now I travelled 150 miles either way, cost me £100, but could they not have really identified at the application stage that due to the high number of candiates from a LA background they would be far more suited than someone who isnt??! Things like this really dont help, and I am even more down after this!! I think they just offered me the interview for equal opportunity basis to get their numbers...

ReputationRep:
    Oh and to those that ****ging me off for no trying a min wage job, gues what? I have tried them in the past 6/7 months since this topic was made and cant even get them. The demand for them is even more higher than grad jobs/subject specific jobs as everyone who is made redundant/college/school leaver/or anyone that can apply to them applies and there are countless applicants! It's a lot easier for most of you to say how "easy" it is, because you got one or are in uni full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni=RipOff)
    Go and try it and come back and tell me. Have you not read the latest stories? Some grads end working in Tescos or other small places and 7years later are in the same role due to lack of time. Doing 2-3hours a day on the computer when not working 40 hours can be very tiring, and your trying to tell me it is possible 2-3hours after a 6-9hour shift....
    well, frankly, no i have not read any stories about recent grads so paralysed by exhaustion from doing a few shifts at tesco that they have been trapped in the job for years. do please link me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariah)
    well, frankly, no i have not read any stories about recent grads so paralysed by exhaustion from doing a few shifts at tesco that they have been trapped in the job for years. do please link me up.
    I smell ignorance. Guess you got a job? Or full time student? When **** hits the fan come back and tell me how it really is.

ReputationRep:
    when i was a solicitor, which i was for nearly 17 years, i regularly did 12 hour days and 60 hour weeks. the idea that a couple of extra hours a day on a computer during a 40 hour work week at a supermarket is impossible is frankly pathetic.

tbh the more i read from you on this thread the less surprised i am that you are unemployed

ReputationRep:
    Go and try it and come back and tell me. Have you not read the latest stories? Some grads end working in Tescos or other small places and 7years later are in the same role due to lack of time. Doing 2-3hours a day on the computer when not working 40 hours can be very tiring, and your trying to tell me it is possible 2-3hours after a 6-9hour shift....
    To me, this summarizes why you've not got a proper job. Also, please don't use the lowest quality graduates to justify your laziness. If those graduates can't spare time (or can't be arsed) to apply for better jobs in the 7 years they worked in Tesco, they deserve to work there.

I personally work on average 50-60 hours a week, AND on top of that, take lessons + prepare for professional qualifications to further myself. Being 'tired' is really no excuse when it comes to bettering yourself for the future, especially for you, when it's 2-3 hours a day only.

NOTE: Despite saying all this, I'm currently on my way home after drinking with my colleagues, so my grammer might not be on par. <-- All credibility lost? lollllllll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma44)
    To me, this summarizes why you've not got a proper job. Also, please don't use the lowest quality graduates to justify your laziness. If those graduates can't spare time (or can't be arsed) to apply for better jobs in the 7 years they worked in Tesco, they deserve to work there.

I personally work on average 50-60 hours a week, AND on top of that, take lessons + prepare for professional qualifications to further myself. Being 'tired' is really no excuse when it comes to bettering yourself for the future, especially for you, when it's 2-3 hours a day only.

NOTE: Despite saying all this, I'm currently on my way home after drinking with my colleagues, so my grammer might not be on par. <-- All credibility lost? lollllllll
    2-3hours per day not from laziness but lack of jobs available or applicable to me. This wont apply to me but everyone i.e. you cant apply for an accountants job when you dont have the relevant qualifications. Lessons + quals cost money which I dont have pal. You think money grows on trees as well as the fact of endless availability of jobs....

As for your grammar it is fine. Despite your trying to "further" yourself via various means, you spell "summarises" with a "z" - and dont blame the phones "auto spell" (auto spell is for idiots). And spelling and grammar are 2 different things. Am not being personal on you but I have realised that many people on here are under the age of 16 and talk out of their backsides unfortunately thinking the world is all happy with everything easy (i.e. tons of jobs like you imply).

ReputationRep:
    No offense but Environmental Health sounds like a mickey mouse degree.

(Original post by Xarren)
    So.. Just to confirm: You went to a **** uni, studied a **** course and now you are unable to obtain a job that pays more than a **** salary?

I can't see a problem with that.
    I'm crying :rofl2::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    To the person that says they will grad in 2015 in teaching, you are spot on.

There are many teaching jobs up and down the country, many local authorities websites are flooded with teaching jobs.

Social work is another popular area.

And to those that say about minimum wage / part time jobs - they are fierce too - if you noticed many people in these jobs are older people, organisations prefer to take on the older generation as they tend to think the young folks will leave when they find something better - a business point of view.

@ my course and 8 unis - common sense would say the less unis doing a unique course the better it is for job prospects. Lets take Law for example, nearly all unis are doing this course with about 200-400 students in take per year (if not more) that creates thousands of law grads up and down the country - NOW that makes competition.

Prior to the economic fall, those on my course were more or less guaranteed jobs with local authorities but the economic crisis hit the localities significantly that cuts were made.
    Nonsense. I work part-time at McDonald's and the oldest person here who isn't one of the store managers is only 26 (he's a shift manager)

ReputationRep:
    Do grad level job recruiters look down on people who graduate 2 or 3 years ago and have been doing low paid non-related jobs in the intervening years? I can imagine they would hesitate to hire someone whose skills have eroded in that time too; it seems that if you miss the boat first time round it becomes harder and harder to land a decent job

ReputationRep:
    I'm managing roughly 25 hours a week while doing A-levels and voluntary work for uni; I imagine it wouldn't be easy but it isn't impossible.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of career can you even expect from Environmental Health? People go to uni to get a job, what job did you have in mind when you chose that course? Seems like you were one of those people who went to uni because everyone else was. Should have spent those three years volunteering/working instead imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    What kind of career can you even expect from Environmental Health? People go to uni to get a job, what job did you have in mind when you chose that course? Seems like you were one of those people who went to uni because everyone else was. Should have spent those three years volunteering/working instead imo
    Yeah thats why the other graduates "got" a job in their chosen degree paths yeah.. Another silly 14year old you must be. Here is a link to what environmental health is http://www.rehis.com/environmental-h...nmental-health Dont think you read the news on climate change/pollution/public health etc do you?

ReputationRep:
    OP sounds really lazy

ReputationRep:
    OP have you done anything that makes you stand out from every other graduate? work experience? internship? those things are valuable and most companies consider that as experience.

also minimum wage for now is not a bad idea considering you've been unemployed for a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cucurbita)
    OP sounds really lazy
    Oh and for the record, my jobs folder on my pc is 32.9mb in size consisting of 298 files! That is mainly word, pdf, and saved applications in webpage/html formats. 33mb just alone in documents is bloody large! This has accumlated since finishing uni June 2012 - its not from before June 2012 going back 10years or something. People like to stick fingers at people and call them all sorts when they dont know the full story. I am one of the 1% of 16-25year olds that is genuinely trying to get a job, not the 99% that abuses the system to claim benefits - I am not even on JSA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    OP have you done anything that makes you stand out from every other graduate? work experience? internship? those things are valuable and most companies consider that as experience.

also minimum wage for now is not a bad idea considering you've been unemployed for a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mate, am not just talking about "graduate only" jobs here. Even with all that you mentioned, another candidate with 8years experience in the field is going to get chosen. So a few months experience in some field is dogs muck compared to a candidate that has worked in the sector for "X" years! The sheer volume of applicants who are already in the sector is considerably high and this knocks us graduates far back with or without voluntary/internship experience! This is what am saying which most of you fail to understand...

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for the record, my jobs folder on my pc is 32.9mb in size consisting of 298 files! That is mainly word, pdf, and saved applications in webpage/html formats. 33mb just alone in documents is bloody large! This has accumlated since finishing uni June 2012 - its not from before June 2012 going back 10years or something. People like to stick fingers at people and call them all sorts when they dont know the full story. I am one of the 1% of 16-25year olds that is genuinely trying to get a job, not the 99% that abuses the system to claim benefits - I am not even on JSA!
    You must be doing something seriously wrong. I walked into a £6.50 an hour job even though they know I won't be staying too long. Have you tried the TSR CV helper?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats why the other graduates "got" a job in their chosen degree paths yeah.. Another silly 14year old you must be. Here is a link to what environmental health is http://www.rehis.com/environmental-h...nmental-health Dont think you read the news on climate change/pollution/public health etc do you?
    Wow, okay, let's clarify this for you. I'm a 19 year old studying economics at a top 15 university PLUS I have my own business (subtle slap in the face for your 'lack of time' from Tesco remarks) and also train minimum 5 hours on other things a week. Making a prejudgement, I'm guessing you weren't one of the intelligent ones who realised that pretty much everyone is going university and that you needed to differentiate yourself by getting experience and networking with the right people. As for environmental health, with all due respect to the course, there's a reason only 8 universities offer the programme. And nope. I haven't read the news on that, because there's minimal news on it. Because there's minimal topics on it. Because it's a minimal subject. With minimal employees in that sector.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, am not just talking about "graduate only" jobs here. Even with all that you mentioned, another candidate with 8years experience in the field is going to get chosen. So a few months experience in some field is dogs muck compared to a candidate that has worked in the sector for "X" years! The sheer volume of applicants who are already in the sector is considerably high and this knocks us graduates far back with or without voluntary/internship experience! This is what am saying which most of you fail to understand...
    I'm talking about graduate schemes but for other jobs, it's not always the quantity of experience but the quality of work done by someone. even if one has like 10 years worth of experience but another candidate comes in with less time experience wise but has done pretty amazing things during that time, the one with less experience will get the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.