Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Funny how I am being annihilated for moaning that there is a lack of jobs and high number of applicants, albeit whilst am not on benefits, self employed, and stil hunting for a job, whilst there are milions of people who refuse to work in this country cos they get more in benefits and take the easy approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni=RipOff)
    Funny how I am being annihilated for moaning that there is a lack of jobs and high number of applicants, albeit whilst am not on benefits, self employed, and stil hunting for a job, whilst there are milions of people who refuse to work in this country cos they get more in benefits and take the easy approach.
    I think you'll find that 'millions' is a little exaggerated. I think there are very few who can get a job, but deliberately don't to stay on benefits. I do sympathise with your situation however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where does moaning get you, exactly?

You're being annihilated because you seem completely closed to change or help, and you're throwing unecessary insults at people.
    Hardly endearing you to employers in the real world, if that aspect of your personality seeps through in interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh thought you wasn't going to reply? Hmm. Yes I "save job descriptions" but dont apply to them, I am retarded and sad. Simple maths and common sense, which you severely lack, would show you for each job one applies you generally save the application AND job description, so I got 300files divide that by 2 pal, that is 150 applications. But of course you sound like a benefit scrounger who is known to all staf at the local job centre for the past 10years.
    I'm quite sure my common sense is better than yours based on your posts here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2506337

If it's too challenging for you to find the link to apply for the graduate programme, once someone replies to your post, I recommend you to not bother trying - it's just going to be a waste of time for both parties.

I don't know how working 50-60 hours (as said in my first post), have spare cash to spend on lessons, and saying you're not trying hard/smart enough makes me sound like a benefit scrounger, I guess I'm not as special as you my logical thinking is not as good as yours, sorry

ReputationRep:
    OP what were you hoping to get from this thead? i think some people have raised some very valid points only for you to completely shoot them down and not even consider their point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Economics? Good luck with that. You seem to be also disillusioned by the fact the more unis offer the course the better it is. Think about it, if you got some brains you should have doing economics, law is offered at all unis in the UK - how many law graduates does that equal to EACH year? Tens of thousands if not more (same will be with economics)! Optometry is another limited course, last time I checked it was about 8-10 unis offering it, do you think there is a "reason" (negative), as you are implying, for Optom too? I hope you do know what Optometry is! Heard of climate change, pollution, emissions, the running out of resources for future generations, renewable energy? And for the record pal, it doesnt matter what Uni you go to, no employer looks at the fact "oh he went to a top 15 uni" - they dont give a monkeys about that. That was in the 70s/80s where it was all-Oxford/Cambridge thing. You seem to be lacking basic business acumen if you think going to a top 15 uni is going to help. What you looking to enhance your business by going to a top 15 uni or going to seek work elsewhere where an employer is going to be "chuffed" about your top 15 uni? If certainly the latter your business will be a flop, your pack of lies are lacking basic logic too. End of convo.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on doing an engineering degree. Please tell me that I won't end up like OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGR)
    I am planning on doing an engineering degree. Please tell me that I won't end up like OP?
    If you differentiate yourself enough, you'll unlikely end up like OP.

In a nutshell, you differentiate yourself by:

1. Getting relevant work experience.
    2. Participating/leading extra-curricular activities (ie. clubs/societies) that are related to the industry you want to enter OR demonstrate desirable skills such as leadership, problem solving, etc.
    3. Winning competitions - although it kinda related to 2.

Loads of my friends did engineering (including myself) and to my knowledge, we all either got a job in <6 months time or went to do further studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sigma44)
    If you differentiate yourself enough, you'll unlikely end up like OP.

In a nutshell, you differentiate yourself by:

1. Getting relevant work experience.
    2. Participating/leading extra-curricular activities (ie. clubs/societies) that are related to the industry you want to enter OR demonstrate desirable skills such as leadership, problem solving, etc.
    3. Winning competitions - although it kinda related to 2.

Loads of my friends did engineering (including myself) and to my knowledge, we all either got a job in <6 months time or went to do further studies.
    Cool, thanks. Did they go to fancy universities? Because I'm not going to a fancy university.

ReputationRep:
    I would rip into anyone that's a benefit utiliser, this isn't just to have a crack at you. But to be fair, you kind of did put yourself out there open for scrutiny by posting. Reading all this negativity from the people on here won't help you because you'll start to believe the labels you get given. Get rid of this thread, and make a change to your life from now. Degree's aren't everything, as many self made people have shown. Good luck dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGR)
    Cool, thanks. Did they go to fancy universities? Because I'm not going to a fancy university.
    Most of us went to russell group universities with a few who went to top 40-60 ones. Which one do you plan to go?

ReputationRep:
    I graduated this year, and can't find the job I need because of bloomin' NHS fund cuts thanks to our very own David Cameron. It's rather annoying when so many foreign workers have come into the field in the UK whilst people who are born and brought up here are in such difficulty.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against immigration. I'm just annoyed that those who are born and brought up in Britain aren't given priority for Job vacancies. Foreign workers contribute much to our field, but to make unemployment rife because of an uncontrolled influx thereof is stupid (Labour was to blame here) - and the Conservatives only made the problem much worse by stunting the careers of Britain's own graduates.

/End of rant.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, time for a rant !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too!

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)
    Lol... You know there's 12 months in a year right?

Btw are you claiming JSA? Might as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGR)
    If you try and learn some actual engineering and aren't just another graduate who only knows how to do equations then you shouldn't find it too hard... but it is certainly a possibility, which is why you've got to take your employability into your own hands and try and build up experience and knowledge as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm making 6k over November and December...importance of a good solid degree

ReputationRep:
    Hi Uni=Ripoff,

I enjoyed your post, and feel your pain. I graduated 20 years ago in a different recession. I also felt a bit cheated by the advice that set me up for a fall "Concentrate on what interests you, take lots of exams in it, then the job will look after itself". It was rubbish advice then, and it's rubbish advice now.

Can't say much to make you feel better, other than there are jobs out there, but they probably aren't where you're told to look. c. 60% of jobs within UK economy are within SME businesses. These companies don't do much "Graduate recruitment" per se, but they do employ. You just need to know what makes them "tick", and the answer is Commercial awareness. Sure, numeracy, literacy, teamwork are useful, but it's the understanding of how a company works that gives an employer the confidence to hire someone. These sorts of companies might not need a full-time Environmental Heath officer, but maybe you can set up as a consultancy, and sell services to 200 of them?

I know of many SME employers crying out for entry-level employees with the right "Can-do" attitude......... As someone who has been in your position, let me be clear, "can-do" attitude has nothing to do with writing CV and preparing for interviews. That's just the process. You need to arm yourself with something more lasting.

Hope this helps.

Hello all, time for a rant !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too!

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

ReputationRep:
    My advice based on having been there, done that and got the t-shirt

1) There is a bias against hiring the unemployed. A dead end job in retail is better as a stop gap than a gap on the CV. HR "professionals" see a gap and assume the worst.

ReputationRep:
    Meh money's money. I worked in a hotel and now I work in security. With a biomed degree that is pretty poor but the bills need to be paid somehow!

Thank flip I got a Uni offer this year- I was considering getting a huge loan for a Masters that I didn't want to do..sigh...

ReputationRep:
    degree = job mentality that still around? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Surely Environmental Health is vital for public health and food safety. Not what I would call a mickey mouse degree.

On the plus side, just get any old job you can tolerate. If that's too much just languish on the bennies an get pissed - still far too much cancer and AIDS knocking about to consider taking mortgages, pensions and dull stuff seriously.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.