Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've got this question regarding which statistical i should use :

1. Research is being done into the level of violent crime across Africa. In 2012, 34% of the population in Africa had been a victim of at least 1 violent crime in the past year.

a. It is believed that this percentage is not the same for all countries in Africa, instead it varies by region. What test in SPSS would be the most appropriate for determining (at the 5% level) whether or not there is a significant association between region and being a victim of at least 1 violent crime? To answer this, assume that the variable for crime is binary (where 0 means the respondent has not been a victim of at least 1 violent crime and 1 means they have). Briefly give a reason for the test you have chosen.

- As Region would be a categorical variable, and being a victim of violent crime could also be a categorical variable (because its split up into 0 (no crime) and 1 (experienced crime). With two categorical variables i can perform a chi square test for independence. Are there better tests to use rather than chi square .

Many Thanks

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.