Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine for economics exceptionally performed well at interview and got an unconditional for an AAA university- she had BBB at AS and A*s and As at GCSE,so it now taking her A2s lightly
    Just curious, but has this ever happen for Medicine?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    A friend of mine for economics exceptionally performed well at interview and got an unconditional for an AAA university (she had BBB) so it now taking her A2s lightly, at AS and A*s and As at GCSE.
    Just curious, but has this ever happen for Medicine?
    Not anymore, there are some examples of it happening in the past (i.e. some Oxbridge colleges) but it hasn't happened for a significant amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Not anymore, there are some examples of it happening in the past (i.e. some Oxbridge colleges) but it hasn't happened for a significant amount of time.

wow really?! Oxford too! :O I guess it depends how long ago that was, as nowadays Medicine has so many applicants that it'd be unfair or maybe those students slacked?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    wow really?! Oxford too! :O I guess it depends how long ago that was, as nowadays Medicine has so many applicants that it'd be unfair or maybe those students slacked?
    Depends, in Scotland a few of my friends got unconditionals for medicine. But that's because they already had their highers. So if you do hear of it now it may be due to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Depends, in Scotland a few of my friends got unconditionals for medicine. But that's because they already had their highers. So if you do hear of it now it may be due to that.
    haha i dont do highers
    how come in scotland, highers (one year) is acceptable and they dont need to do the 2nd year (advanced if im correct?)

ReputationRep:
    haha i dont do highers
    how come in scotland, highers (one year) is acceptable and they dont need to do the 2nd year (advanced if im correct?)
    I think they mean if you already have the grades.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    haha i dont do highers
    Not sure, I'm a law student myself. But for example my friend who went to St Andrews got in on 5As at higher. But my two friends who went to Glasgow (although having 5 As at higher) needed to get BB at Advance Higher. I think it depends on the uni. However they have to do a 6th year, even if they have an unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    haha i dont do highers
    Highers and Advanced Highers are stand alone qualifications i.e Adv Higher does not lead on from Higher like A2 does from AS. In Scotland university degree structure is different as well. Undergraduate BA and BSc courses are four years long rather than three. Advanced Higher is sort of like a preparation for first year of uni.

Highers are similar to AS in terms of their content but the assessment method is different. It is not modular like A-level it is solely based on one end of year exam. Scottish students are still expected to finish Advanced Highers, and they wouldn't get an offer if they weren't doing a full course of study in their final year, the grade requirements simply aren't as stringent.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly 3-5 years ago I've seen EE offers from Cambridge for exceptional candidates. It's given not as an excuse to slack but because the uni knows the student is perfectly capable of getting top grades and it's an incentive for the student to firm that uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Certainly 3-5 years ago I've seen EE offers from Cambridge for exceptional candidates. It's given not as an excuse to slack but because the uni knows the student is perfectly capable of getting top grades and it's an incentive for the student to firm that uni.

nice one

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.