Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

"Everyone must remove java" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzgig)
    You can download a version of the shell that is bundled with Ubuntu that runs on Windows if you want.
    Cygwin is great for running Linux/UNIX commands on Windows. Or you could just use a virtual machine to boot Linux from within Windows, if you want the whole system. Ubuntu also has a Windows installer that's an easy way to set up a dual-boot.

There's no excuse for anyone to have to put up with the condescending abomination that is Windows 8 any more, there are lots of good options out there. The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu 12.10 is the introduction of adware (i.e. the appification of the dash, which now includes product placement from Amazon et al.) -- but you can disable that in the privacy settings (for now!), or you can just remove the appropriate packages. Personally, I'd stick with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, if anyone's installing anew. Or a different distribution altogether.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many alternatives for Java. Such as the Runescape client example. I would be happy if java was removed thoroughly. Java run bys can easily get every confidential detail of your comp...

ReputationRep:
    Java isn't the problem, it's the browser plugin allowing people to use the exploit. Disable it in your browsers and never run any downloaded Java code (duh.) and you'll be fine, and you'll still be able to play Minecraft!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    There are so many alternatives for Java. Such as the Runescape client example. I would be happy if java was removed thoroughly. Java run bys can easily get every confidential detail of your comp...
    Whaa? So an online game client is a good alternative for a Virtual Machine?

There's no need to remove Java from the computer, just disable it in the browser and you're safe from any malicious websites.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can download a version of the shell that is bundled with Ubuntu that runs on Windows if you want. Agreed about Ubuntu being better for programming in general with a caveat that some IDEs for some languages are better supported on Windows. I run both.

I've heard it said that the only secure computer is unplugged and switched off.
    I agree about that security statement - as long as someone can stick a flash drive in it it's at risk...

I quite like Xcode on Mac and Codeblocks on Windows (for C) though I have tried Ch but coding in hex baffles me...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard it said that the only secure computer is unplugged and switched off.
    Only if it's encased in concrete and at the bottom of the ocean

Java as a language and platform are unlikely to go away. As a browser plug-in it's not used in many scenarios (but those that use it generally have a good reason for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    C# (Java) was made for OpenGL and therefore is better with it than C++ which OpenGL was written for
    You do realise that C# and Java are two completely different languages?

Anyway, Java is not going anywhere. It is hugely important to the web (particularly thanks to things like Tomcat and Solr), if not to individual users. There are a lot of enormous, multinational corporations who have millions of dollars invested in websites that are heavily dependent on the continued existence of Java. Where is this news that everyone "must remove" it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    wait, does this mean I won't be able to play runescape?

hey come to think of it, my java has been popping up quite frequently in the taskbar icon area telling me updates are avaliable, even though I repeatedly clicked on 'never check for updates'
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Download the runescape client and play off that. No need for java.

And not updating your java intentionally for long periods of time is silly. Lets hope you don't do anything to do with money on the internet.
    Java keeps popping up on my laptop too saying updates are available but everytime I click ok it tells me it can not download/install the updates Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    You do realise that C# and Java are two completely different languages?

Anyway, Java is not going anywhere. It is hugely important to the web (particularly thanks to things like Tomcat and Solr), if not to individual users. There are a lot of enormous, multinational corporations who have millions of dollars invested in websites that are heavily dependent on the continued existence of Java. Where is this news that everyone "must remove" it?

You forgot Android...

Android Apps are written in Java until Google shifts Android towards Go or something Java is pretty much here to stay no matter how much we all hate it... Just like Flash...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    Java keeps popping up on my laptop too saying updates are available but everytime I click ok it tells me it can not download/install the updates Any ideas?
    Are you connected to the internet?
    Are the browser plugins disabled (see add ons>plugins to check). If it's the latter then I guess that might stop them from updating.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Runescape players...

ReputationRep:
    Are you connected to the internet?
    Are the browser plugins disabled (see add ons>plugins to check). If it's the latter then I guess that might stop them from updating.
    Yea I have been connected and the plug ins enabled, however yesterday when it popped up again and I clicked ok it said I had the current version so I don't know I guess its okay for now! Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    With the likes of HTML5 and rise in AJAX, there's less and less need for plug-ins like Flash and Java, but they do still have their place currently

Use Chrome and set it to ask permission each time it needs to run.

Plugin exploits require you to allow the Java applet to run. If you don't trust the website, or didn't expect to see a Java applet needing to run, simply don't let it.

Chrome has the added benefit of running tabs in independent threads and processes, so for a script on one page to access a running Java applet in another would be incredibly difficult.

Java's useful, but convenience nearly always come as a trade-off to something else in computing, be it security, efficiency, or readability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Terminal is much better than command line though - UNIX is far superior for programming.

EDIT: On the topic of the thread - C# (Java) was made for OpenGL and therefore is better with it than C++ which OpenGL was written for. If it's such a security risk why not go the whole hog and get rid of PDF formats then to prevent viruses and malware programmed with postscript....
    Wait, did you just equate c# to Java?

ReputationRep:
    What about non oracle versions of java on linux, are they prone to the same security issues? I think it's called JDK.

Why on earth would this be negged, I'm asking for information. At least neg one of my posts on incest, feminism, veganism etc. You'll find something controversial to neg. But this is a non-issue.
    What are your views on incest, feminism and veganism? I'm so curious now.

ReputationRep:
    What about non oracle versions of java on linux, are they prone to the same security issues? I think it's called JDK.

Why on earth would this be negged, I'm asking for information. At least neg one of my posts on incest, feminism, veganism etc. You'll find something controversial to neg. But this is a non-issue.
    Rep means nothing. If someone wants to leave negative rating for no apparent reason then let them get on with it. Those with any sense know that what you wrote was not offensive, suggestive etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kk_15)
    Rep means nothing. If someone wants to leave negative rating for no apparent reason then let them get on with it. Those with any sense know that what you wrote was not offensive, suggestive etc.
    Well I ****ing beg to disagree :awesome: .

I a few people here neg a lot of my posts just if they see me, I like to encourage them to actively find a post they disagree with should they wish to show protest, rather than ad hominem attacks.
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    What are your views on incest, feminism and veganism? I'm so curious now.

ReputationRep:
    How about not hyperventilating and just carrying on as normal?

There will always be risks and vulnerabilities, get on with it and stop worrying about 'what ifs'.

ReputationRep:
    And when almost all computers ran Windows, almost all virus infections targeted flaws in that OS.
    False.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    How about not hyperventilating and just carrying on as normal?

There will always be risks and vulnerabilities, get on with it and stop worrying about 'what ifs'.
    Yes, worrying about the safety of your computer is pointless. I mean it's not like anyone does anything sensitive on their computers. You know like banking, internet shopping paypal.

No-one keeps anything confidential on their computer either.

And no-one would really care if their computer stopped working.

Thank you for your really REALLY helpful input in this thread.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.