Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    According to the website, Semester 1 starts on the 17th of September. I was asking around and people reckoned that's when lessons start, so freshers week would start on the 10th.
    Last year however, I know freshers started on the 17th.
    Anyone know when freshers week starts for the 2013/2014 academic year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lgambo)
    According to the website, Semester 1 starts on the 17th of September. I was asking around and people reckoned that's when lessons start, so freshers week would start on the 10th.
    Last year however, I know freshers started on the 17th.
    Anyone know when freshers week starts for the 2013/2014 academic year?
    For the 2013/14 academic year, the academic year starts on Mon 16th September, and runs concurrently with freshers week. You will be expected to arrive in your accommodation between Thurs 12th and Sun 15th, and the first freshers event is normally on the Sunday.

Don't worry about the academics that week though - it will be nothing more than a few lectures on how to pick your modules, what modules are available, support systems, how to see your tutor etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    ah great! thanks. will + rep when possible tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    For the 2013/14 academic year, the academic year starts on Mon 16th September, and runs concurrently with freshers week. You will be expected to arrive in your accommodation between Thurs 12th and Sun 15th, and the first freshers event is normally on the Sunday.

Don't worry about the academics that week though - it will be nothing more than a few lectures on how to pick your modules, what modules are available, support systems, how to see your tutor etc. etc.

I'll just ask you a question on here! How many days before hand do students usually go to their accommodation and is it better to go early?

ReputationRep:
    I think most people arrived on the Saturday, so the traffic was horrendous! I don't think it matters that much when you go, but it will be a bit quiet if you come on the thurs / Fri.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I think most people arrived on the Saturday, so the traffic was horrendous! I don't think it matters that much when you go, but it will be a bit quiet if you come on the thurs / Fri.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I arrived on the Thursday, the traffic was much better than for my mates who arrived on the Saturday!

Only downside was that I was the only one in my flat for a couple of days but that wasn't really a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Where do we get all the freshers stuff, the university where I come from have wristbands for the week how does everything work in Manchester? Do we get everything when we get there or do we have to get everything in advance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physicsguyy)
    Where do we get all the freshers stuff, the university where I come from have wristbands for the week how does everything work in Manchester? Do we get everything when we get there or do we have to get everything in advance?
    Freshers is organised by the halls RAs and JCRs, rather than centrally, and you buy everything when you get there. You'll probably find someone selling the tickets next to where you collect your keys, but do check what tickets your new neighbours have purchased before you part with cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.