Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Outfit Help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, on Saturday I am going to my friend's house for a few drinks for her birthday and then heading into town because a guy I know wants to take me for drinks for my birthday (it's on Sunday).

The catch is, I'm oblivious to men and I'm not sure if it's just a friend-zone drink or a 'date' drink.
    Me and him both get on very well, talk a lot and have the same interests. We are also at the same point in our lives as we are both single parents (he has a daughter and I have a son) and can relate to each other in a way many of our friends can't as they haven't been in that situation.

On any other normal circumstance I'd say it would probably gear more towards date than friend, but I'm just unsure on this one, maybe I don't want to get my hopes up? Who knows.

Either way, I want to look nice but not too overdone for just friends, and not underdressed for a date. We'll be going to a few pubs/bars and I'll have been around my friend's family earlier.

I have a few options:

This dress - http://images.esellerpro.com/2604/I/...berry_xl_2.jpg

This dress (either one like this, or slightly more lower cut and round necked) - http://www.planyourperfectwedding.co...%20perkins.jpg

Both with black tights.

Or either of these skirts with either a 3/4 length scooped neck white top or just a normal white t-shirt.

http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/pict...i_skirt_35.JPG

http://d3f6xwow3s4s9m.cloudfront.net...-look_list.jpg

http://www.glebe-fashion.com/images/...-2882_zoom.jpg (only mine doesn't have the little bow at the top and it's not as crinkled).

Depending on which it will either be mid-heeled black ankle boots or tan coloured ankle wedged heeled boots.

Sorry for being a pain!

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, I like the second dress. The stripy one! Very cute.

ReputationRep:
    I love the first dress. It's classy and sophisticated.

ReputationRep:
    Boring.
    Would it kill to go for something fitted? Not only would lit look better, but depending on what he said, you would realise if it is friendly or a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Boring.
    Would it kill to go for something fitted? Not only would lit look better, but depending on what he said, you would realise if it is friendly or a date.
    Kill what? Girls can wear things that aren't fitted, and not be 'boring' too. Besides, she's not going clubbing, nor has she shown anything fitted maybe because she doesn't like it. Not even mentioning the fact that 'fitted' is totally unacceptable or casual drinks.

I absolutely love the first dress!

ReputationRep:
    The second one! It doesn't give anything away, so your dress won't be making any judgements about his intentions
    Looks fun AND flirty though, and I'd love to wear that so yeah, that's my opinion. I'm sure you'll look beautiful in anything you wear though, as long as you don't forget to have fun!
    Good luck and happy birthday in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the first dress, its such a lovely colour. But I do love the second one as well however the oxblood one trumps it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    Kill what? Girls can wear things that aren't fitted, and not be 'boring' too. Besides, she's not going clubbing, nor has she shown anything fitted maybe because she doesn't like it. Not even mentioning the fact that 'fitted' is totally unacceptable or casual drinks.

I absolutely love the first dress!
    The only thing that is unacceptable is your knowledge of fashion. Fitted can be appropriate anywhere IF you know how to dress well. It is sad that you only think it is only for clubbing. Well every woman better bin those fitted blouses because apparently they are only for clubs :rolleyes:
    And no, maternity wear, which is what all this baggy crap is, looks dire and is boring.

ReputationRep:
    First one without a doubt

although the last skirt is gorgeous and could look nice with the right top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    The only thing that is unacceptable is your knowledge of fashion. Fitted can be appropriate anywhere IF you know how to dress well. It is sad that you only think it is only for clubbing. Well every woman better bin those fitted blouses because apparently they are only for clubs :rolleyes:
    And no, maternity wear, which is what all this baggy crap is, looks dire and is boring.
    Depends what you mean by fitted. You do not explain yourself. And rather than be rude to you (which you have been to me), I'm going to ask you to do so.

When I hear fitted from a man, I automatically think this: http://www.missguided.co.uk/catalog/.../category/552/

I am sorry if that's not what you meant. But a fitted shirt is not what comes to mind.

This, on the other hand is actually very nice, and not really for clubbing (in my opinion)

http://www.missguided.co.uk/catalog/.../category/552/

I actually have a very different style to the OP's so I also wish that you do not critisize my own fashion sense. As I actually wear rather tight fitting tops and trousers, or bodycon skirts and floaty blouses (wow, that sure makes me sound ****gy!) But we are not here to talk about OUR taste in style and what we would like everyone to wear. The OP has stated items of clothing she would like to wear and we have been asked to choose from it.

Which is what I have done.i think the first dress is absolutely gorgeous, and whilst it is not something I personally would wear, I think it would suit the occasion extremely well.

ReputationRep:
    Love both the dresses but the first is my favourite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    Depends what you mean by fitted. You do not explain yourself. And rather than be rude to you (which you have been to me), I'm going to ask you to do so.

When I hear fitted from a man, I automatically think this: http://www.missguided.co.uk/catalog/.../category/552/

I am sorry if that's not what you meant. But a fitted shirt is not what comes to mind.

This, on the other hand is actually very nice, and not really for clubbing (in my opinion)

http://www.missguided.co.uk/catalog/.../category/552/

I actually have a very different style to the OP's so I also wish that you do not critisize my own fashion sense. As I actually wear rather tight fitting tops and trousers, or bodycon skirts and floaty blouses (wow, that sure makes me sound ****gy!) But we are not here to talk about OUR taste in style and what we would like everyone to wear. The OP has stated items of clothing she would like to wear and we have been asked to choose from it.

Which is what I have done.i think the first dress is absolutely gorgeous, and whilst it is not something I personally would wear, I think it would suit the occasion extremely well.
    Fitted is a term in tailoring, not a underhanded word for slutty clothing. All it means is that it is fitted to your figure eg. not baggy, comes in at the waist, room for the bust etc and many have a bit of elastanein or similar materials in them to pull in the material to help with this. The blue dress you link is exactly that - fitted, though I would say pretty boring.
    However, many dresses nowadays are not fitted but claim to be. They might be poorly fitted at the top, and be utterly loose at bottom which is simple horse**** design.
    Go look at this. The clothes are all fitted, and sophisticated at the same time, however many high street fashion chains don't follow this style as it is a) hard to produce b) sophisticated thus tiny market

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe there's a guy here arguing with a girl over girls fashion as if a. He has experience wearing girls fitted clothes and b. he's a style icon haha. Let it go. It's boring.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone.

And to the 'fitted' advocate - I have body confidence issues. I've lost over 60lbs and I am now a size 10, however, in my head I am still not seeing myself in the body. On a night out I may wear something a bit tigheter and such, but when going somewhere like this, I much prefer floaty as it means I'm not spending all night worried about my body and can actually enjoy myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubixcyoob)
    x
    I like the first dress, go for the midi heel too.

Happy Birthday and well done on your amazing weightloss!

ReputationRep:
    First one. It's lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I like either dress or the pink skirt (:

Personally I would wear the stripey one cause I have practically no bust.

But I think the oxblood one with tights like the models (not too thin or thick) with black ankle boots and gold jewellery would be cute. Also I think hair down and curly is flirty, so maybe think about that? (I don't think it's you in the pic btw aha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh wait this was after Saturday oops

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone, I wore the red dress and I had an amazing time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubixcyoob)
    Thank you everyone, I wore the red dress and I had an amazing time!
    No doubt due to your impeccable dress choosing abilities :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.