Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Couple of cracks in windscreen, where's cheapest? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I got my first car last September through a family member for free. It came with a few minor problems, including 2 small cracks in the windscreen. As the car was free, I obviously didn't mind this but like those silly people in those adverts we all know so well, the cracks have begun to grow and I would like to sort them out as I have heard that they can lead to a failed MOT!
    Admittedly, I haven't scoured around as I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with this before and perhaps had any suggestions to where's the cheapest place to go for this problem? I only have third party fire and theft insurance and I would rather not fix this through my insurance company anyway!

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    My mum has used autoglass a few times now. I'm not sure of the price as she went through insurance but I don't think they were too bad. They came out to the house and had to completely replace the windscreen on one occasion, but it didn't take the bloke long at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfs89)
    as I have heard that they can lead to a failed MOT!
    It depends a lot on where the cracks are, if you have a google around you should be able to find the MOT guidelines and work out if your crack is will cause an MOT failure.

I had a crack in the top left hand corner on my windscreen, it wasn't an issue for MOTs despite being about 4 inches long because of where it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c3rys)
    My mum has used autoglass a few times now. I'm not sure of the price as she went through insurance but I don't think they were too bad. They came out to the house and had to completely replace the windscreen on one occasion, but it didn't take the bloke long at all.
    I agree.
    My dad had autoglass come out to my mums old car and they where pretty good. They wherent to expensive either.

ReputationRep:
    I had a chip in my windscreen covered by the insurance company but the price for filling was written on the invoice they left me and it was £79 ish I think. The insurance company sent out AA windscreens to do the work.

Be worth ringing up a couple for a quote on the work

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Autoglass is obscene. A lot of the time, the chips/cracks they say they can repair have to be tiny - smaller than a 5p piece. They can also make a big deal about insurers - saying that certain ones don't deal with them direct.

I've had Autoglass quotes for windscreen replacement for £400. I asked our mechanic for the name of an independent self-employed windscreen guy, he did the work the same day and charged £120.

No insurance involvement, no premium problems, not much more than an excess.

ReputationRep:
    For me it was cheaper to get a second hand windscreen from a scrappy, fitted all for £80. Maybe try something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCLeblanc)
    It depends a lot on where the cracks are, if you have a google around you should be able to find the MOT guidelines and work out if your crack is will cause an MOT failure.

I had a crack in the top left hand corner on my windscreen, it wasn't an issue for MOTs despite being about 4 inches long because of where it was.
    Ah I see, one's in the middle of the windscreen so I reckon I can't get away with that one!

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can find an independent repair man and get a quote from Autoglass, see which is cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    Even though you only have 3rd party you may still have windscreen cover, I know I used to. Have you checked? I recently used National Windscreens as my windscreen needed to be replaced. It was covered by my insurance but worth looking up as an alternative/comparison to Autoglass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends where they are on the screen and how big they are.
    If it's directly infront of the driver they can be up to 15mm. If it's on the rest of the screen it can be up to 50mm!

The MOT tester has a plastic sheet they lay over the screen and they use this to measure what is and what isn't acceptable.

If it were me, i'd have a measure up just before the MOT is due and see if you'd need a new screen or not.
    Your windscreen excess is only going to be about £70 anyway if you were to "accidentally" drop something heavy on it...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.