Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..
    I'm an international student and i have a very strong academic background as i graduated in the year of 2011 with 2:1 degree classification in Accounting & finance. in addition I'm CIMA part qualified as i have 2 more stages to complete it. Since i graduated i tried so hard to get a training opportunity in this sector in UK but i was unlucky to secure a position.

so i decided to leave this country and i secured a position as an audit assistant in a reputable firm in the state of Qatar. i worked there for 6 months and i was doing really enjoying it except for the weather. start of this year i came back to UK for personal reasons. Currently I'm looking to secure a job in accounting with my 6 months abroad work experience.

past 2 months im keep on applying jobs and im not lucky enough to secure a single interview. the work experience gave me a solid understanding of Auditing and Accounting. even my boss said he don't want to lose me as I'm doing an excellent job. It is so frustrating even i have very good academic and descent work experience i feel left out and my self confidence is going down everyday and I'm out of options.

can anyone give me some advice how can i change my strategy to find jobs ..im very worried that i have to quit the race to find an accounting job.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a good enough candidate, possibly the problem is with your CV? Have you had several people review and comment on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diven)
    Hi guys..
    I'm an international student and i have a very strong academic background as i graduated in the year of 2011 with 2:1 degree classification in Accounting & finance. in addition I'm CIMA part qualified as i have 2 more stages to complete it. Since i graduated i tried so hard to get a training opportunity in this sector in UK but i was unlucky to secure a position.

so i decided to leave this country and i secured a position as an audit assistant in a reputable firm in the state of Qatar. i worked there for 6 months and i was doing really enjoying it except for the weather. start of this year i came back to UK for personal reasons. Currently I'm looking to secure a job in accounting with my 6 months abroad work experience.

past 2 months im keep on applying jobs and im not lucky enough to secure a single interview. the work experience gave me a solid understanding of Auditing and Accounting. even my boss said he don't want to lose me as I'm doing an excellent job. It is so frustrating even i have very good academic and descent work experience i feel left out and my self confidence is going down everyday and I'm out of options.

can anyone give me some advice how can i change my strategy to find jobs ..im very worried that i have to quit the race to find an accounting job.
    It is apparent that you would have been qualified to get through the CV screening stage. One thing you need to clarify is whether you got the rejection directly after your application or you failed online assessments before being progressed to interview stage.

Another concern would be the late time when you made your application. Accounting firms start their in the begining of July (e.g.Big 4)/September, although there are a few ad-hoc vacancies all the year around.

However, it has been the busy period of accounting firms since January. So I presume they are prioritising to serve on the client side over recruitment at this moment. That is partly why you didnt secure an interview.

What you can do is to plan your applications in this coming Autumn and structure your preparation, while keeping an eye on any upcoming vacancies. Besides, wish yourself a good luck. Thats it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    It is apparent that you would have been qualified to get through the CV screening stage. One thing you need to clarify is whether you got the rejection directly after your application or you failed online assessments before being progressed to interview stage.

Another concern would be the late time when you made your application. Accounting firms start their in the begining of July (e.g.Big 4)/September, although there are a few ad-hoc vacancies all the year around.

However, it has been the busy period of accounting firms since January. So I presume they are prioritising to serve on the client side over recruitment at this moment. That is partly why you didnt secure an interview.

What you can do is to plan your applications in this coming Autumn and structure your preparation, while keeping an eye on any upcoming vacancies. Besides, wish yourself a good luck. Thats it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no set time for experienced hire applications (this guy is an experienced hire). Relevant vacancies can come up at any time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    There is no set time for experienced hire applications (this guy is an experienced hire). Relevant vacancies can come up at any time
    I am not sure if it is the case - that without having ACA qualified/more than 2 years practical experience, the candidate are not likely to be eligible to get hired through experienced professional recruitment.

Edit: I remembered they said candidates with 2 year experience can apply via experienced professional recruitment in their FAQ. But I am pretty sure that he cannot be considered experienced professional given he neither is qualified accountant nor has more than 2 years experience. So he needs to apply graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if it is the case - that without having ACA qualified/more than 2 years practical experience, the candidate are not likely to be eligible to get hired through experienced professional recruitment.

Edit: I remembered they said candidates with 2 year experience can apply via experienced professional recruitment in their FAQ. But I am pretty sure that he cannot be considered experienced professional given he neither is qualified accountant nor has more than 2 years experience. So he needs to apply graduate schemes.

i think you are correct i wont be able to apply for any experienced hire jobs. Do you guys think having an international experience is an advantage or disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a good enough candidate, possibly the problem is with your CV? Have you had several people review and comment on it?
    i have given my cv to couple of friends but now I'm considering to get some advice from professional websites such as fullercv. is it worthwhile??

does anyone have any experience with professional cv writers.

ReputationRep:

You are wrong. Unless specified in the vacancy that you have to be fully qualified, have X amount of experience or any combination of both, he can apply. Secretaries are "experienced hires". At my firm there several vacancies I can see right now that this guy would be eligible for. Applying for a grad scheme is a backwards step, this guy isn't on the level of someone fresh out of uni, he's nearly finished his CIMA .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diven)
    i think you are correct i wont be able to apply for any experienced hire jobs. Do you guys think having an international experience is an advantage or disadvantage.
    Why do you think it can be disadvantage...? It is a good experience.

ReputationRep:
    You are wrong. Unless specified in the vacancy that you have to be fully qualified, have X amount of experience or any combination of both, he can apply. Secretaries are "experienced hires". At my firm there several vacancies I can see right now that this guy would be eligible for. Applying for a grad scheme is a backwards step, this guy isn't on the level of someone fresh out of uni, he's nearly finished his CIMA .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I presume that OP is looking for a structured programme with the sponsorship of a prestigious qualification, e.g. ACA, rather than secretaries...It is undoubtedly that the best route for OP is via graduate schemes. Plus OP has admitted above that he thought I was correct...

ReputationRep:
    I presume that OP is looking for a structured programme with the sponsorship of a prestigious qualification, e.g. ACA, rather than secretaries...It is undoubtedly that the best route for OP is via graduate schemes. Plus OP has admitted above that he thought I was correct...
    He is 2 stages away from completing his CIMA, why do you think it makes sense to throw away all that hard work and start all over again with ACA? You do realise there are normal routes into accounting/professional service firms right? It's not like everyone who works there joined via the grad scheme.

OP doesn't know his options hence why he is asking here. He has nearly finished his CIMA, going on a grad scheme now is pointless. He needs to leverage the small amount of experience he has together with the fact he only has 2 more exams and whatever work experience requirement to be fully qualified. He will still be looking at entry-level/junior roles, but he isn't suitable for a grad scheme anymore.

ReputationRep:
    He is 2 stages away from completing his CIMA, why do you think it makes sense to throw away all that hard work and start all over again with ACA? You do realise there are normal routes into accounting/professional service firms right? It's not like everyone who works there joined via the grad scheme.

OP doesn't know his options hence why he is asking here. He has nearly finished his CIMA, going on a grad scheme now is pointless. He needs to leverage the small amount of experience he has together with the fact he only has 2 more exams and whatever work experience requirement to be fully qualified. He will still be looking at entry-level/junior roles, but he isn't suitable for a grad scheme anymore.
    It's all about his choice - it's no point to manage to convince me that OP is not suitable for graduate roles.

ACA will give OP a wider career prospect than CIMA. Plus, going to ACA is not necessarily meaning to give up CIMA.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about his choice - it's no point to manage to convince me that OP is not suitable for graduate roles.

ACA will give OP a wider career prospect than CIMA. Plus, going to ACA is not necessarily meaning to give up CIMA.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    How so?
    CIMA is focused on management accounting - which means you are more likely to serve in an internal accountant team in a company. While ACA will enable you to be an auditor in a firm serving external clients. So you will have wider industry insight, broader networking connections, and more access to other career field, e.g. corporate finance.

ReputationRep:
    CIMA is focused on management accounting - which means you are more likely to serve in an internal accountant team in a company. While ACA will enable you to be an auditor in a firm serving external clients. So you will have wider industry insight, broader networking connections, and more access to other career field, e.g. corporate finance.
    I meant the second part of your statement, sorry it was poor quoting by me. Surely he would leave CIMA unfinished if he switched to ACA?

ReputationRep:
    I meant the second part of your statement, sorry it was poor quoting by me. Surely he would leave CIMA unfinished if he switched to ACA?
    Can't he come back to finish CIMA after ACA?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but just seems a convoluted way of doing things; surely best to go for CIMA positions to get qualified.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but just seems a convoluted way of doing things; surely best to go for CIMA positions to get qualified.

hey guys thanks for your advice...btw i was considering to study towards ACA because of the recognition of the qualification in UK. im not saying CIMA is not recognized but in comparison with ACA the job opportunities are much less.

currently im researching ACA training vacancies ..and also I'm stuck between Graduate and experiences hire scheme as you guys mentioned before. i emailed couple of audit firms but no reply yet. in RSM tenon application they have mentioned "As a graduate it is assumed you will have no prior knowledge or experience of your preferred business area". I'm confused whether to apply under graduate scheme or not. I'm sure that i wont be able secure a experienced hire position as well because they recruit only positions higher than audit seniors who has more than 2 years experience. can you guys give me any advise for me.

ReputationRep:
    i forgot to mention, the firm i worked before didn't give me an experience letter as i only worked for 6 months they said its their company policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diven)
    hey guys thanks for your advice...btw i was considering to study towards ACA because of the recognition of the qualification in UK. im not saying CIMA is not recognized but in comparison with ACA the job opportunities are much less.

currently im researching ACA training vacancies ..and also I'm stuck between Graduate and experiences hire scheme as you guys mentioned before. i emailed couple of audit firms but no reply yet. in RSM tenon application they have mentioned "As a graduate it is assumed you will have no prior knowledge or experience of your preferred business area". I'm confused whether to apply under graduate scheme or not. I'm sure that i wont be able secure a experienced hire position as well because they recruit only positions higher than audit seniors who has more than 2 years experience. can you guys give me any advise for me.
    If you want to start all over again and throw away your exam progress then yes apply for ACA grad schemes. There is not much point doing both CIMA and ACA, it won't improve your employability any more than one of the individual qualifications would, you would still be an accountant. You can complete your CIMA and then join ICAEW anyway because you're in Qatar right?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.