Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Firstly, can I just say that I'm not trying to boast about my grade or anything, so please don't spam me with "at least you got an A" responses- the A* is kind of important for me to meet my conditions for a university place.)

So I was pretty happy with my English Lit result yesterday, but today my teacher told me that no matter how well I do on the coursework, I will not be able to achieve an A*, since I'm one UMS mark below the boundary. She suggested I retake the exam, which I was pretty horrified by- I have enough retakes on my plate as things are!

I don't understand how I can be under, though- they told me that you needed to average 90% across all units in the A2 year, and my UMS score (99) was over 80% on the exam- so surely if I get 100% on the coursework, I can still get an A*?

My teacher says I can't, and I just can't understand why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Too Many Commas)
    (Firstly, can I just say that I'm not trying to boast about my grade or anything, so please don't spam me with "at least you got an A" responses- the A* is kind of important for me to meet my conditions for a university place.)

So I was pretty happy with my English Lit result yesterday, but today my teacher told me that no matter how well I do on the coursework, I will not be able to achieve an A*, since I'm one UMS mark below the boundary. She suggested I retake the exam, which I was pretty horrified by- I have enough retakes on my plate as things are!

I don't understand how I can be under, though- they told me that you needed to average 90% across all units in the A2 year, and my UMS score (99) was over 80% on the exam- so surely if I get 100% on the coursework, I can still get an A*?

The modules are not weighted equally: the coursework component is 40%, and the exam is 60%.

So if you get 100% on the coursework that would be 80/80 UMS. You'd therefore need 100/120 on the exam for an A* to satisfy the 180/200 over the two modules. As it stands, with your 99 UMS, you'd have 179/200 over the two modules - an A grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Too Many Commas)

You need 180/200 on the A2 units for an A*. A as you have already dropped 21 marks on LITB3 it is a mathematical impossibility for you to get an A* without re-sitting and improving your LITB3 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, right- I completely forgot that the exam's weighted more than the coursework, can't believe I was so airheaded.

Thanks, you two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.