Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

If you're on roughly £50 a week to live off, do you manage to afford a social life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious as to how people manage their money

Currently deciding between SOAS (London) or University of Sheffield. I get an ensuite room for £138 a week in London, but the contract is for 4 weeks less than Sheffield, so London accommodation only ends up costing me an extra £500 or so for the year, despite being entitled to an extra £2000 than if I went to Sheffield.

In Sheffield, I'd only have £28 a week with ensuite, so it'd be shared bathrooms at Sheffield, leaving me with £50 a week.

I've seen people on here saying they're worried about being able to cope on £100 a week :mad:

I'd consider myself sociable, but not bothered about going to clubs several times in the week, or even every single week.

Just wondered what most people are like in terms of affording a good social life at uni? Worried that friends I make will be out all the time, and I'll be stuck indoors.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have you factored in costs for things like books, etc?

It is doable and some people do manage on a lot less.

ReputationRep:
    At uni you'll need £1000 a year or so more than you think you'd need as there will be costs you wouldn't have factored in like books or laptop chargers/batteries/random expensive nights out/joining societies

ReputationRep:
    I have a job right now which I'll have to give up when I go to university, so plan on saving for things like books from that. The only thing I've considered that would come out every single week is food bills and travel (but travel would be linked to the social life, as at either uni, I'd be within walking distance).

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't include bills, then yes it's doable.
    I can spend about £25 a week in the supermarket and that includes food that I don't even need and alcohol. (I used to spend £10 a week on food in first year).
    I spend about £10 on a night out.
    If you want to do other things like days out, get on the train to somewhere, buy something for yourself you may struggle a little bit.
    But that's fine for the basics.

ReputationRep:
    £15 a week on food (it's doable if you use Lidl or Aldi), £5-10 on alcohol, from £3 up to £7 on each night out (mostly cover charge). Random expenditure on other things tends to push it up towards the £40 mark but if I spend £50 then it's an expensive week.

I don't see why people pay £10 per week or more on accommodation with en-suite bathrooms; you'll most likely have to give them up once you move into 'real flats' anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I barely managed to go out twice a month with £600/month last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harve)
    £15 a week on food (it's doable if you use Lidl or Aldi)
    This ^. Buy lots of noodles.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't be going out at all, should be working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watami)
    I barely managed to go out twice a month with £600/month last year.
    £600 before of after rent? If after, then what did you spend your money on? You must have spent a lot of money!

Thanks for the replies everyone, any more posts would also be helpful!

ReputationRep:
    When I was a student, I used to live on £20 a week only on food, £5 max on drinks. You don't really need £100 a week to survive.

If you are taking a student loan, you'll realise that it is a wise decision not to spend that much while you are at uni. You will have to pay it all off plus interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm earning now, but I live really cheaply still because I got used to having to and I hate wasting money. I'd say £50 a week is definitely doable, but in the beginning, spend to save!
    Buy in bulk, things such as washing powder, non-perishable food items and other consumables. if you can't cook, learn and if you can, cook everything from scratch. Buy cheap food items (for example, lentils are very cheap and you can use them to make curries, dips, soup...Just an example though many other foods fit the bill as well..If you're out during the day (at uni or in library or town or whatever), take some drinks and snacks with you so you don't find yourself paying over the odds for vending machines and fast food. Avoid brands. Avoid spending money on travel-incorporate exercise into your daily routine by walking everywhere. If you go out at night only try to choose the cheapest places or places with offers on drinks and/or free entry......Beauty of saving money is, it's addictive and the more you save, the safer you are for £ when it comes to actually needing to spend money on stuff (if something breaks or you NEED money for something unexpected).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt9210)
    £600 before of after rent? If after, then what did you spend your money on? You must have spent a lot of money!

Thanks for the replies everyone, any more posts would also be helpful!
    Food, supplements, gym, boxing, household items, they all add up to about 500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    Shouldn't be going out at all, should be working.
    This made me giggle.

ReputationRep:
    My budget for Uni is £50 a week disposable income. As the rest will be for running my house and paying for the train tickets to go to Uni and back. The one plus side of going to Uni is that you do not have to pay Council Tax, which is an absolute nightmare. One thing I will suggest to anyone on here, if you smoke, do you're very best to quit. Also, before a night out at the pub, have a few drinks at home before you ( A bottle of wine for yourself at around £5 ), so you can spend less in the pub. It is amazing how much you can save in the long run if you do that. As said previously on this thread, also try and buy your ambient food in bulk, as this will save money and try and buy as little fresh food as possible. Bread, beans and noodles are good cheap foods. Of course, give yourself one night a week, when you have a decent meal, maybe a piece of steak with chips. I just hope that you all like Beans and Toast, as this will be a big staple for youse whilst you are at Uni. One last piece of advice, don't be a snob, if you see Tesco Value food, buy it! At the end of the day it is edible ( even if there might be Horse in it ).

ReputationRep:
    £50 is definitely doable. I spend about £10-12 a week on food shopping & I shop at Sainsbury's (there isn't an Aldi or Lidl in where I live). Like being said above, buy supermarket own brand food! (Waitrose is posh but their own brand cereals are cheaper than Kellogg's!) Sainsbury's Basics are amazing - fresh food wise they may look less appealing to you but they taste the same! It's just that they come in funny shapes and sizes they ended up in the basics packs. Their basics range cover a lot of student life basics so you do live well for less. I recommend buying lots of cheap pasta (39p/500g) and rice for main meals. Cooking your own food is definitely money-saving, ready meals look good but they all add up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyjelly)
    Sainsbury's Basics are amazing - fresh food wise they may look less appealing to you but they taste the same! It's just that they come in funny shapes and sizes they ended up in the basics packs.
    I used a lot of Sainsburys basics when I was at uni and have to say, some of it was quite nice. In fact, I preferred some of their basics range to some of the more expensive stuff.

One thing I would never buy in any value range is washing up liquid. Yes, it may only be 30p; but Fairy washing up liquid lasts so much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt9210)
    I'm just curious as to how people manage their money

Currently deciding between SOAS (London) or University of Sheffield. I get an ensuite room for £138 a week in London, but the contract is for 4 weeks less than Sheffield, so London accommodation only ends up costing me an extra £500 or so for the year, despite being entitled to an extra £2000 than if I went to Sheffield.

In Sheffield, I'd only have £28 a week with ensuite, so it'd be shared bathrooms at Sheffield, leaving me with £50 a week.

I've seen people on here saying they're worried about being able to cope on £100 a week :mad:

I'd consider myself sociable, but not bothered about going to clubs several times in the week, or even every single week.

Just wondered what most people are like in terms of affording a good social life at uni? Worried that friends I make will be out all the time, and I'll be stuck indoors.

Cheers
    I manage 40 or 50 € a week in Dublin,and can go out about once a week, it's not too difficult if you work out food so it's only about £15 a week and predrink before going anywhere. As you'll be a student there's plenty of discounts and free things to take advantage of. And as someone mentioned previously, Aldi+Lidl noodles are great! Living on a tight budget means I have to think twice about going for a meal or soething, but it also means if i live really frugally one week I can splash out the next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I used a lot of Sainsburys basics when I was at uni and have to say, some of it was quite nice. In fact, I preferred some of their basics range to some of the more expensive stuff.

One thing I would never buy in any value range is washing up liquid. Yes, it may only be 30p; but Fairy washing up liquid lasts so much longer.
    Yes absolute no-no for washing up liquid. Never bought the basics version myself but was given one from friends. One can easily find Fairy liquid for £1 in Pound shops so that's one way to save
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyjelly)
    Yes absolute no-no for washing up liquid. Never bought the basics version myself but was given one from friends. One can easily find Fairy liquid for £1 in Pound shops so that's one way to save
    I've never used the Basics version; but my parents said that you use so much of it. So it's just cheaper to spend more and it to last longer.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.