The Student Room Group

Help with my choices

Hi,

I was hoping I could get you guys opinions on what I should do regarding my choices. I have 2 university offers for Physics with Astrophysics

Manchester Uni - A*AB (A*A in Maths and Physics, either order), B in Computing

Leeds Uni - AAB (B can be in any of my 3 subjects)

Manchester will be my firm and Leeds my insurance.

My grades after the January exams stand as this -

Maths -
C1 - 93/100
C2 - 80/100
C3 - 70/100
M1 - 87/100

Total - 330/400, meaning I need 150 out of the remaining 200 away from an A. However I can't get an A* without resitting C3. My last two exams are C4 and D1.

Physics -
G481 Mechanics - 63/90
G482 Electrons, Waves & Photons - 133/150
G483 Practical Skills 1 - 58/60
G484 Newtonian World - 61/90

Total - 315/390, meaning I need 165 out of the remaining 210 to get an A and 209/210 to get an A* without resits. I have Practical Skills 2(/60) and Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics(/150) left.

Computing (No Jan Exam) -

CG1 - 122/130
CG2 - 54/70

Total - 176/200, both coursework(/70) and exam(/130) left to do this year

I'm almost certain that even with resits an A* in physics will be impossible for me so my only option is to try and get one in Maths (which I do well in class, but generally mess up the exam). I basically see myself having 3 options -

1 - Resit nothing. Focus on getting 3 A's and possibly an A* in computing and hope Manchester let me in with 3 A's or A*AA with the A* in Computing. At this point I should point out my offer for Manchester is already lower than it should be since I was on the MAP program their standard offer is A*A*A - A*AA.

2- Resit C3, resit nothing from Physics. This only adds one extra exam in the summer but if I don't get an A in physics it's irrelevant if I get an A* as I still miss the Manchester offer, that is of course assuming they won't let me in if I get a B in physics.

3- Resit C3 and resit Mechanics from Physics. This does the same as above in terms of the A* but allows me to try and get a few extra marks in Physics in the easiest unit, as I said I think an A* in Physics is impossible for me to achieve so I might as well resit the easier AS module as it is only 2 UMS higher than the Newtonian World.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, so what do you think? 1, 2 or 3.
What do you see as being the downsides to option 3 which would be your best bet to meet your offer conditions?
Reply 2
The only downside I see to option 3 is it's an extra exam in the summer even though it is an AS module. The only thing I'm worried about is by having 6 exams in the summer instead of 4 is I could end up missing both offers by not having enough time to revise everything properly. I think it'll be between option 1 or 3 even though option 1 is basically resigning myself to the fact I'll be going Leeds, which I'd be happy with it's not like I really really prefer Manchester however as I said I'd slightly prefer Manchester.

I'll be having a chat with my Maths and Physics teachers this week as well so hopefully they can give me some guidance as well.

I also just realised I've binned all my Mechanics notes in the summer thinking I wasn't going to resit it, what a idiot I am LOL.
I'd say plan for option 3 - if the revision gets too much you can always revert to 1 at a later date but there's no harm in giving it a try.

Also check out what the situation is around accommodation at leeds for insurance students - it looks like you'd be guaranteed a room (http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/14/applying_for_accommodation ) as long as you apply by 1st July (but you'd be amazed how many people don't apply or look into accommodation for their insurance choices and so miss the deadlines!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending