Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

im in my last year of school, set to go to uni next year for history
    the problem with my parents is that they only seem to care about my grades, after results yesterday, despite getting all a's and b's (which is enough for me to go to the uni i want) my parents come home shouting all me saying my results are rubbish because im predicted a's and a*s and 1 b(which they shouted at me because a b isnt good enough for them) and that i should retake my exams. i told them no and then they had a massive rant at me, which led to me telling them how much i despised them.
    the problem with my parents is that theyve always been condescing, ordered me about, trying to control my life. They wanted me to not do history because it wasnt a proper degree, calling me an idiot for 2 years until finally they accepted thats what i wanted to do.
    I never ever talk to my parents only if they ask me stuff (which is only about school anyway) with yes no replies. I dont know how longer i can cope, im just looking forward to day i leave home. I look back at my life and i have no happy/good memories of me and my parents together, just bad ones. As a kid my parents used to shout at me for nothing, to the point where they would hit me for getting a question wrong in my homework, everything i do they put me down.
    I dont know if anyone else has been in a situation like me?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you should be getting in contact with a counsellor! Your parents should care about whether you are happy or not.

Please don't be offended, but is there any chance that they want you to do better so that you can earn good money for the family? Could there be any other relatives that you are in 'competition' with? Do you have siblings that are treated in the same way, or is it just you?

I really think you should get into contact with someone who deals with this sort of thing, as it sounds quite serious (such as the hitting you when you didn't do so well) as it sounds to me that you are being abused. Have you spoken to any counsellors at your school/college/uni?

Just some ideas, but I think you might be keeping too much to yourself, which really won't help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.