Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, hoping someone who is doing this degree can help me out, Im looking at doing a degree in the design area, leaning towards a graphic artist style of design -

The OU pathway for this appears to be preset in a multitude of art/art history modules, leaving me to think it is a very general art degree, is this right or can I specialize in design in a technological sense, such as graphic design or web/multimedia design?

And also, does a design and innovation degree from OU have promising potential for employment?

Im thinking a brilliant portfolio and a first would be very strong to becoming employed but am just unsure of how general the design degree is?

Any help greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I can probably help with this one - I actually already have an art degree, and I'm currently an OU student doing an Open Degree made up of the Design parts of the Design and Innovation degree, mashed up with Creative Writing (Design and Innovation: Creative Writing pathway, if you will).

If you were to do the Design and Innovation degree, then the design bits would be the same whichever pathway you picked. The Arts pathway would combine it with art history/liberal arts type modules (lots of essays); the engineering pathway with engineering modules (lots of maths), and so on. Whichever pathway you picked, the other modules that you'd do would be things that formed part of other pathways on other degrees (e.g. you'd study those alongside engineers or history of art students or whatever, and people like me doing mix-and-match Open Degrees...)

The flipside of that is that people studying the Design modules will also be coming at them from a range of different perspectives, so the modules are deliberately designed to be quite broad (as they need to work for engineers, people with an interest in sustainability, and so on, as well as being 'about' design). So, there are some chances to do graphic design type things, but you'd also be looking at products, systems, and so on. They have a whole online setup where you upload your work and get comments from fellow students (and comment on their work) to help you get feedback and develop your ideas - it does a fair job of allowing you to experience a 'studio' environment without actually being in one.

Because they're so broad, none of the pathways is going to be that much like a creative arts degree. Any of them will potentially help enhance your employability, in different ways depending on what pathway you go with; and any of them will teach you lots of useful and interesting things; but if what you're really wanting is a degree where you get to spend the majority of your time producing creative work then you might want to check out the Open College of the Arts - they're a bit like the OU in the sense of offering distance learning degrees, but they focus purely on creative subjects and a degree from them is a lot more like art school. (Maybe check out their 'visual communications' stuff...)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it - Going to research open college of arts now thanks for the advice

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.