Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct place, but I'm new here so here goes!

I'm in Year 12 and currently taking three AS Levels - English Lit & Lang, History and DT. I'm predicted three A's in these subjects and I'm currently on target in lessons and with my exam results.

However, I'm starting to panic that because I've only took three AS's - and only two of these being 'strong' subjects - I'm at a disadvantage at appyling to Russel Group universities to study English because I've only took the three.

I'm not sure whether to pick up another AS next year or will this be pointless? If so, any particular suggestions? My school haven't really given me much information on the subject so I'm sorry if I'm acting like an idiot - I just really want to do well. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisyKate)
    I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct place, but I'm new here so here goes!

I'm in Year 12 and currently taking three AS Levels - English Lit & Lang, History and DT. I'm predicted three A's in these subjects and I'm currently on target in lessons and with my exam results.

However, I'm starting to panic that because I've only took three AS's - and only two of these being 'strong' subjects - I'm at a disadvantage at appyling to Russel Group universities to study English because I've only took the three.

I'm not sure whether to pick up another AS next year or will this be pointless? If so, any particular suggestions? My school haven't really given me much information on the subject so I'm sorry if I'm acting like an idiot - I just really want to do well. Thanks in advance!
    Where exactly are you thinking of applying to? Several places e.g.. Warwick, Bristol and Exeter accept the Extended project in place of an AS level Warwick from Memory is the only one that specifically asks for a 4th AS though... It shouldn't be too much of an issue, but an EPQ certainly would help -does your school offer this?

ReputationRep:
    Generally, picking up an extra AS in your second year is a waste of time. Most people seem to recommend taking 4 ASs in the first year and 3 A2s in the second because AS levels are easier and so you can afford to take more of them.

I doubt the lack of a fourth AS subject will significantly hinder your prospects of an offer if your grades are up to scratch however, when compared against an equally able applicant for a space it will probably go against you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackkkkk)
    Where exactly are you thinking of applying to? Several places e.g.. Warwick, Bristol and Exeter accept the Extended project in place of an AS level Warwick from Memory is the only one that specifically asks for a 4th AS though... It shouldn't be too much of an issue, but an EPQ certainly would help -does your school offer this?
    I've been looking at places such as Birmingham, Exeter, Warwick (like you mentioned, but without the 4th AS perhaps not!). My school hasn't mentioned the EPQ at all so I doubt they run it (it's not the best place!) but from a quick Google search it does seem to be really interesting and something I'd consider instead of a 4th AS. Do you know if it would be possible for me to apply for the EPQ although my school doesn't run it? Or would it be something I'd have to miss out on, or go to another school for?

Thanks for your reply though! It really helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    Generally, picking up an extra AS in your second year is a waste of time. Most people seem to recommend taking 4 ASs in the first year and 3 A2s in the second because AS levels are easier and so you can afford to take more of them.

I doubt the lack of a fourth AS subject will significantly hinder your prospects of an offer if your grades are up to scratch however, when compared against an equally able applicant for a space it will probably go against you.
    Thanks for your reply, you've put things into perspective in regards to the first and second year AS Level choices - I didn't even consider that fourth AS's were mainly dropped in the second year due to the complexity, how silly! I'll aim to continue with my grade progress and try to nail my Personal Statement to ensure that I can be the best I can, especially as you say similar students with an extra AS will probably get the place.

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisyKate)
    I've been looking at places such as Birmingham, Exeter, Warwick (like you mentioned, but without the 4th AS perhaps not!). My school hasn't mentioned the EPQ at all so I doubt they run it (it's not the best place!) but from a quick Google search it does seem to be really interesting and something I'd consider instead of a 4th AS. Do you know if it would be possible for me to apply for the EPQ although my school doesn't run it? Or would it be something I'd have to miss out on, or go to another school for?

Thanks for your reply though! It really helped!
    Just had a quick look and Warwick is just AAA for English Lit and doesnt mention another AS - although I do know a friend who didnt get in and was predicted very highly - worth a shot though

I think you would be okay with exeter and b;ham, personally I think exeter is lovely

The EPQ doesnt require much contact time, so if your school doesnt do it you might be able to find another local school/college that does? You can't really do it on your own as you need a supervisor

best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackkkkk)
    Just had a quick look and Warwick is just AAA for English Lit and doesnt mention another AS - although I do know a friend who didnt get in and was predicted very highly - worth a shot though

I think you would be okay with exeter and b;ham, personally I think exeter is lovely

The EPQ doesnt require much contact time, so if your school doesnt do it you might be able to find another local school/college that does? You can't really do it on your own as you need a supervisor

best of luck
    Thank you so much, I've been worrying about this all day you really have helped! Exeter looks amazing, and if I do get grades then like you say, Warwick is worth a shot! I'll enquire about it at my school on Monday and if it does turn out that they don't offer it, I'll take your advice and ask around other schools in the area

Thanks again!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.