Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should advertising be more heavily restricted? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just looking for your views on this matter

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think its broken so it don't need fixing....what does need fixing and more restrictions is the British press

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion yes it should.

But to be honest advertising is a great way of getting a lot of things for the consumer as well. Yes it's annoying but for example it's the reason we have streaming services or free games etc... The ads help subsidise the service cost and thus the end user gets what they want for free/minimal cost but with a few ads every now and then to help pay for the service.

I do think advertising has become more and more intrusive though and i don't think that'll stop any time soon as it's now being used by pretty much every company to increase revenue. But i think there should be limits on ads in terms of the content and time it should be shown on tv/radio/online. There are already these types of limits in place but they should be enforced much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    In my personal opinion yes it should.

But to be honest advertising is a great way of getting a lot of things for the consumer as well. Yes it's annoying but for example it's the reason we have streaming services or free games etc... The ads help subsidise the service cost and thus the end user gets what they want for free/minimal cost but with a few ads every now and then to help pay for the service.

I do think advertising has become more and more intrusive though and i don't think that'll stop any time soon as it's now being used by pretty much every company to increase revenue. But i think there should be limits on ads in terms of the content and time it should be shown on tv/radio. There are already these types of limits in place but they should be enforced much better.
    I'm not trying to catch you out but can you give an example of ads becoming more "intrusive"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I'm not trying to catch you out but can you give an example of ads becoming more "intrusive"
    Yeh sure, on some websites for example you get the ones that pop out at you and you physically have to click the small X button in the corner to close it down.

Another example is on a forum i visit daily there are ads literally every other post, at the side of the page, at the top of the page etc...

Obviously i use adblock on most sites so it doesn't affect me that much but i know of a lot of people who have been complaining about the more intrusive ads appearing.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

Depends what kind of adverts.

'I mean you could argue that everyone is a walking advert for branded clothing.

ReputationRep:
    The public should be allowed to blacklist certain companies (all the way up and sister companies) from advertising if they make too many annoying adverts.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.