Original post by beckie.stuart
Any predictions for the questions tomorrow? :smile:

Hopefully a nice big NMR question since there wasn't one in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2382
Original post by MasterYi
The paper and question would help. :smile:

sure :smile:

its a legacy the Jan 2009, the methods of analysis and detection?

question 5)a)ii)
please, dont know to upload it
Original post by otrivine
well I thought that always like the more hydrocarbon chain the less the solubility, but why is benzene less soluble than hepatonic acid when it has 1 less carbon atom?

is it because the benzene is unreactive because of pi electrons that are delocalised/

That's what I thought. That aliphatic would be more soluble compared to aromatic because of the resistance to react due to delocalised electrons and high stability. Btw, I made this question up so I don't know myself which way it goes. That's why I'm asking you lol. :colondollar:
Original post by D4rth
Hopefully a nice big NMR question since there wasn't one in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so too :smile: like the one in june 2012
Original post by MasterYi
Good. Just going through reaction conditions and student-foruming. How is yours?

Student-foruming at present. Might take a break to do a spot of reaction condition-ing some time soon. Anything hard/tricky you've come across so far?
If your looking at what is adjacent and it is a COOH, then do you include the H in the COOH or not? :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:S:s-smilie:
Reply 2387
Don't you guys love it when you look at a question and without reading it you get scared but when you actually try you can solve it out! Fk yes!
Original post by Kat12395
Thin Layer:
A thin layer (funny that) of plastic / glass is coated by something like SiO2. The mobile phase- a solvent - passes over it. The dissolved substances, well... Dissolve, different amounts in the solvent, so adsorb to the thin layer at different points; thus separating the solution out.
NOTE: Solvents need to dissolve substances enough that ALL substances dissolve, but not too but that they don't adsorb at all.
Rf values: (Retention values) measure how much a substance has moved in comparison to the whole solvent, so:
Amount moved by substance / Amount substance has moved
Disadvantages: Doesn't really help identify substances as similar substances have similar Rf values.
Rf values can be compared a table of results to identify compounds.
Gas:
Substance / mixture is turned into a gas. It's mixed with a carrier gas which, uh, carries it, once injected into a tube lined with a thin layer of liquid or solid. Then either:
If lined with a liquid: Gases dissolve different amounts in a liquid, so they remain in the the tube for different amounts of time.
If lined with a solid: Gases adsorb to the surface of the solid different amounts so that they remain in the tubing for different lengths of time.
The amount of time it takes for one substance to pass through the tube and reach the end (where it is recorded and a time is taken) is called theretention time.
Different retention times indicate different molecules, so the values can be compared with already taken results that are in a table.
NOTE:
Stationary phase: The part of the chromatography that doesn't move.
-The plate lined with SiO2 in TLC
-The liquid or solid coating in the tube of GC
Mobile phase: The part of chromatography that does move.
-The solvent in TLC
-The carrier gas in GC

(It doesn't get simpler! Sorry!)

Thank you so much (I know it wasn't me who asked but I needed this too LOL)
Just wondered if in GC it's liquid on solid support, is that separated by adsorption aswell? Or is there a name for it cause I saw 'Partition' somewhere but got confused...
Reply 2389
Original post by _HabibaH_
That's what I thought. That aliphatic would be more soluble compared to aromatic because of the resistance to react due to delocalised electrons and high stability. Btw, I made this question up so I don't know myself which way it goes. That's why I'm asking you lol. :colondollar:

can you give me the question again, ill post it in the chem forum for a genius to answer and will let you know ASAP :smile:
Original post by AFC_123456789
If your looking at what is adjacent and it is a COOH, then do you include the H in the COOH or not? :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:S:s-smilie:

No because the carbon is bound to the oxygen and then that oxygen is bound to the hydrogen. The hydrogen has to be directly bonded to the carbon for it to be included in the splitting pattern :smile:
Original post by Jodie_668
No because the carbon is bound to the oxygen and then that oxygen is bound to the hydrogen. The hydrogen has to be directly bonded to the carbon for it to be included in the splitting pattern :smile:

ahh makes sense, thank you. So if you have ch3ch2cho what is the splitting pattern there? Thanks so much
Do you think there're any key definitions for this exam? Compared to F325 there doesn't seem to be that much at all.
I think maybe:
- Retention Time
- Amino acid
- Isoelectric Point
- Zwitterion
- Polypeptide
- Condensation/Addition polymerisation
- Stereoisomerism
- Chiral Carbon

err literally Idk anymore?
can you give me the question again, ill post it in the chem forum for a genius to answer and will let you know ASAP :smile:

Thank youuuu!

Q) State and explain the trend in solubility of C6H5COOH, C7H15COOH and C2H5COOH.
Reply 2394
sure :smile:

its a legacy the Jan 2009, the methods of analysis and detection?

question 5)a)ii)
please, dont know to upload it

Dam, I can't find the paper. :frown: Are you sure it is what you said it is.
Original post by Sarangtaec
Thank you so much (I know it wasn't me who asked but I needed this too LOL)
Just wondered if in GC it's liquid on solid support, is that separated by adsorption aswell? Or is there a name for it cause I saw 'Partition' somewhere but got confused...

No problemo, I'm glad it helped! &Yep, yep! It's definitely adsorption - exactly the same as TLC but in gaseous form! If you're worried about it in the exam, just use the liquid version if you can!:-)
Original post by Sarangtaec
Do you think there're any key definitions for this exam? Compared to F325 there doesn't seem to be that much at all.
I think maybe:
- Retention Time
- Amino acid
- Isoelectric Point
- Zwitterion
- Polypeptide
- Condensation/Addition polymerisation
- Stereoisomerism
- Chiral Carbon

err literally Idk anymore?

Couldn't you have electrophilic substitution and what am electrophile? also the HDL and LDL and saturated hydrocarbon and such? Also there will be mobile phase and stationary phase and chemical shift?
Reply 2397
Original post by _HabibaH_
Student-foruming at present. Might take a break to do a spot of reaction condition-ing some time soon. Anything hard/tricky you've come across so far?

No I haven't. Theres not really a lot in this unit so everything is very straight forward. (not in an easy way) How about you?
Reply 2398
Any predictions as to what might come up tomorrow?
Has anybody come across any questions to do with deuterium oxide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending