The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Good luck and I hope this exam is easy and everyone smashes it.:crossedf::gthumb:
Reply 2741
Original post by _HabibaH_
Yep. Because if the NO2 group is at 1 as we're putting it at nitrobenzene therefore 1-nitrobenzene, then the methyl would be three carbons AFTER sorry. Mix up.

And if it was 2-methylnitrobenzene then it would be the carbon after the NO2 group.

So if it was 3-methylnitrobenzene it would be...

C(NO2)CHC(CH3)CHCHCH

Thanks.
What if they don't tell us the name?
Reply 2742
Original post by Janjua
read the question properly lol I always get done for that but will do so now:smile:

thanks u ready?
Original post by Varsh05
Thanks.
What if they don't tell us the name?

Then they'd tell us the benzene derivative before the reaction and tell us to nitrate it, for instance, then we can place the NO2 group wherever we please. But usually they'll show us an azodye and tell us to work backwards from that.
HELP!! - FINAL LAST MINUTE CONFIRMATION Dx

The difference between hydrolysis of esters and hydrolysis of polypeptides:
Esters/Acid: Dilute acid catalyst + H2O under reflux
Esters/Alkali: Aqueous NaOH under reflux (No catalyst????)
(Poly)peptides/Acid: Aqueous acid catalyst + H2O reflux
(Poly)peptides/Alkali: Aqueous NaOH just above 100 degrees
Reply 2745
remember to take pencil and rubbers with you!!!
can somebody tell me if there are lots of NH3 group on a amino acid will this increase or lower the isoelectric point ?
Original post by Joey952
can somebody tell me if there are lots of NH3 group on a amino acid will this increase or lower the isoelectric point ?

If there are a lot of NH2 groups, it will increase because NH2 is a basic group. If there were too many COOH groups then that would decrease as it is an acidic group.
Reply 2748
Original post by Joey952

you mean loads of NH2. which would increase the pH OF ISOELETRIC POINTS....ie more alkaline.
Good luck everyone! Let's go smash it :biggrin:
Reply 2750
Any last minute tips/things to consider?

Posted from TSR Mobile
does any one know what came in nmr in jan 2013, i trying to learn it but theres too much to leanr, should i go over spin spin coupling
Reply 2752
Good luck everyone! See you on the other side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2753
Sorry about the thumb down Mus1995 (mistake) :smile:
I want you to remember one thing..... only put conc. before the acid if it is actually needed... examiners will penalise you otherwise.... GOOD LUCK!!!
good luck people!

may the grade bounderies be with us all :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!

Good luck to everyone with whatever your off to do in life :smile: never have to do chem again!
was surprised that we got a good paper, as Jan was also easy. Hopefully no crazy grade boundaries.
Reply 2757
Original post by otrivine
please help

Bet you're glad I helped. :biggrin:
Reply 2758
That paper was so nice and I made so many stupid mistakes! I feel like crying
I forgot my ruler at home :/

Latest