Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me out here........ For the question 'Name the type of reaction taking place in reaction 2. (1 Mark)' where the answer is 'Reduction', the product of reaction 1 was reduced (the ketone group turned back into an alcohol) by using NaBH4. I accidentally wrote Nucleophilic addition reaction as the answer. (which it is since H- is being added to the compound) I know nucleophilic addition is the MECHANISM, and I thought they were asking for the mechanism, but the correct answer is reduction/redox (which is the type of reaction). Do you think I would still get the marks?? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please answer the above question^, appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mus1995)
    I did 0.27/0.47. 0.57444 which is around 0.58.

0.53-0.55 is way off. I don't think it would be correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I got 0.57 or 0.58.
    Can't remember which one I put down but either one should be correct,right??
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waheed786)
    Can someone please help me out here........ For the question 'Name the type of reaction taking place in reaction 2. (1 Mark)' where the answer is 'Reduction', the product of reaction 1 was reduced (the ketone group turned back into an alcohol) by using NaBH4. I accidentally wrote Nucleophilic addition reaction as the answer. (which it is since H- is being added to the compound) I know nucleophilic addition is the MECHANISM, and I thought they were asking for the mechanism, but the correct answer is reduction/redox (which is the type of reaction). Do you think I would still get the marks?? thanks!
    I'd say you wouldn't get the single mark as what you've written isn't the type of reaction which is taking place, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiny94)
    Apparently the link doesn't work anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again??
    I don't know what's wrong with it..
    Need to ask the guy who made the doc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varsh05)
    Again??
    I don't know what's wrong with it..
    Need to ask the guy who made the doc.
    Assuming it was a guy is a bit sexist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I'd say you wouldn't get the single mark as what you've written isn't the type of reaction which is taking place, sorry
    ok thanks mate! what does everyone else think?? thanks, appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothepreacher)
    Assuming it was a guy is a bit sexist
    No I know who made it,and there was the male sign next to his name.
    Otherwise I would've never said 'the guy'

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go to page 179,post 3578 of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Would 3,5-dibromo-4-aminophenol be right? Or does it have to be in alphabetical order, so 4-amino-3,5-dibromophenol? x

ReputationRep:
    hey guys u know the diazonium question on this paper why does the markscheme have HCL as one of the reagents because the question only stated the diazonium ion not diazonium chloride salt. Could someone please clarify? thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuku2013)
    thanks u ready?
    sorry for not replying last time but I was quite ready, but still absolutely dreading it. After the exam I was quite surprised the paper I think was okay but I don't know everyone had different opinions about it hopefully it went okay even though I am sure I made a few silly mistakes but oh well what is done is done. How about you? How did it go?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Consider it a blessing in disguise...could save you a heap loads of stress

ReputationRep:
    I think I got 44/45. What grade do you reckon that would be? If not for a few silly mistakes I could have pulled to at least a 50. Gutted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waheed786)
    You are correct in realizing that its the name of a mechanism. Unless you have done many things wrong, you shouldn't worry about losing one mark here. Enjoy your summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey101)
    Would 3,5-dibromo-4-aminophenol be right? Or does it have to be in alphabetical order, so 4-amino-3,5-dibromophenol? x
    It was 2,5 dibromo-4-aminophenol.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It was 2,5 dibromo-4-aminophenol.
    It's actually 3,5 but its all about alphabetical order when naming so the amino part has to be first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    It's actually 3,5 but its all about alphabetical order when naming so the amino part has to be first.
    I had checked this twice on the diagram in Q, one bromine group was next to the oh group and one was next to the nitro group, So the numbering would be 2,5 you are right about alphabetical order point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janjua)
    hey guys u know the diazonium question on this paper why does the markscheme have HCL as one of the reagents because the question only stated the diazonium ion not diazonium chloride salt. Could someone please clarify? thnx
    You need to initially generate HNO2 in-situ (although apparently some mark schemes accept HNO2 as a reagent), and for that you need a stronger acid. Most commonly HCl is used, but you may get the mark for H2SO4. I'm not sure though.

ReputationRep:
    I had checked this twice on the diagram in Q, one bromine group was next to the oh group and one was next to the nitro group, So the numbering would be 2,5 you are right about alphabetical order point.
    It's definitely 3,5. The molecule you are describing would be asymmetric, which effectively never happens in these kinds of reaction.

In case you still doubt it, try googling 2 5 dibromoaminophenol. All the search results are for 3 5 regardless.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.