The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by MathsNerd1
Okay, it's a cyclic hydrocarbon with 6 carbon and hydrogen atoms arranged in a planar hexagonal ring and they are bonded to two other carbon atoms and there is ring of electron density above and below the hexagonal ring because of the overlap of the pi bonds which creates a delocalised ring of electrons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good, 3/4, mention 120 around each carbon atom
my turn
Original post by otrivine
Good, 3/4, mention 120 around each carbon atom
my turn

Oh okay, thanks. Explain the products made an ester is hydrolysed with an acid and also the products of alkaline hydrolysis for the ester butyl propanoate. (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 802
Oh okay, thanks. Explain the products made an ester is hydrolysed with an acid and also the products of alkaline hydrolysis for the ester butyl propanoate. (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

products of acid

CH3CH2COOH + HO-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3

products of alkaline with aq NaOH

CH3CH2COO-Na+ + Na+O- - CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3
products of acid

CH3CH2COOH + HO-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3

products of alkaline with aq NaOH

CH3CH2COO-Na+ + Na+O- - CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3

That's all correct except for your alkaline hydrolysis as it still produces the alcohol again with the sodium salt of the carboxylic acid. Good try though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 804
That's all correct except for your alkaline hydrolysis as it still produces the alcohol again with the sodium salt of the carboxylic acid. Good try though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

why is it the COOH reacts but not the alcohol, do you know?
why is it the COOH reacts but not the alcohol, do you know?

I'm not really too sure why, I just remember that's what happens when doing the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 806
I'm not really too sure why, I just remember that's what happens when doing the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks :smile:

Give 2 properties of Phenol and why is phenol slightly soluble in water (3)
ok thanks :smile:

Give 2 properties of Phenol and why is phenol slightly soluble in water (3)

It's a solid at RTP and undergoes electrophilic substitution like benzene but doesn't require a halogen carrier. It is slightly soluble in water because the OH group forms hydrogen bonds with water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 808
It's a solid at RTP and undergoes electrophilic substitution like benzene but doesn't require a halogen carrier. It is slightly soluble in water because the OH group forms hydrogen bonds with water.

Posted from TSR Mobile

will lose a mark, should say pink solid!

but good!

my turn
will lose a mark, should say pink solid!

but good!

my turn

I see, my bad.

Okay, if you wanted get from an alkene to a primary alcohol then what reagents and conditions are required? (2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
I see, my bad.

Okay, if you wanted get from an alkene to a primary alcohol then what reagents and conditions are required? (2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

no worries!

is it aq NaBH4 and heat is applied
no worries!

is it aq NaBH4 and heat is applied

Nope, it's steam, 300 degrees and a phosphoric acid catalyst, this was just testing what you could remember from last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
Nope, it's steam, 300 degrees and a phosphoric acid catalyst, this was just testing what you could remember from last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yes, better recap on F322!!

Define:chrial
oh no thats wrong it should be 150 with a Ni catalyst

No that's going from a alkene to an alkene, I asked from an alkene to a primary alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh yes, better recap on F322!!

Define:chrial

It's fine as I doubt they'll ask us something to do with that. And chiral is a molecule that has 4 different groups attached to it (normally a carbon centre) that creates a non super imposable mirror image of each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 815
It's fine as I doubt they'll ask us something to do with that. And chiral is a molecule that has 4 different groups attached to it (normally a carbon centre) that creates a non super imposable mirror image of each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes correct, but in case !
yes correct, but in case !

That's true.

Explain spin spin coupling in proton NMR. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 817
That's true.

Explain spin spin coupling in proton NMR. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the examiner tip, we will not be assessed on this, only when we need to interpret from the spectrum we should know about the triplet and quartet
On the examiner tip, we will not be assessed on this, only when we need to interpret from the spectrum we should know about the triplet and quartet

I can't see the one that says that :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 819
I can't see the one that says that :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

on page 84

do you want me to describe spin as to how many hydrogens are found adjacent to carbon ato,m

Latest

Trending

Trending