Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    on page 84

do you want me to describe spin as to how many hydrogens are found adjacent to carbon ato,m
    Yeah that's what I was hinting at when I said in proton NMR, sorry if it wasn't too clear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Yeah that's what I was hinting at when I said in proton NMR, sorry if it wasn't too clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh ok sorry

so spin-spin gives the indication of the number of hydrogen atoms adjacent to carbon atoms and there are peaks in which could vary and represent the number of H , examples are singlet,doublet,triplet , quartet or multiplet

singlet=no H adjacent to carbon
    doublet= 1 H adjacent to carbon
    triplet= 2 H adjacent to Carbon
    quartet= 3 H adjacent on carbon
    multiplet= 4+ H adjacet to carbon
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    oh ok sorry

so spin-spin gives the indication of the number of hydrogen atoms adjacent to carbon atoms and there are peaks in which could vary and represent the number of H , examples are singlet,doublet,triplet , quartet or multiplet

singlet=no H adjacent to carbon
    doublet= 1 H adjacent to carbon
    triplet= 2 H adjacent to Carbon
    quartet= 3 H adjacent on carbon
    multiplet= 4+ H adjacet to carbon
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why is there different chemcal shift values (1)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Why is there different chemcal shift values (1)
    To show that there are different chemical environments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To show that there are different chemical environments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    because of different electronegativty between atoms

my turn
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    because of different electronegativty between atoms

my turn
    Oh I see and this will be the last from me, need to do a Maths paper under times conditions

Ethyl Methanoate is one of the compounds responsible for the smell of raspberries. Outline, with reaction conditions, how it could be synthesised in the lab from Methanol. (7)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see and this will be the last from me, need to do a Maths paper under times conditions

Ethyl Methanoate is one of the compounds responsible for the smell of raspberries. Outline, with reaction conditions, how it could be synthesised in the lab from Methanol. (7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, methanol is a primary alcohol and is therefore, oxidised to a carboxylic acid via heating under relux, with acidified potassium dichromate and concentrated H2SO4 and forms methaoic acid, the methanoic acid then has to react with an alochol and a catalyst would be needed in this concentratied H2SO4 (H+(aq)) and should be heated in a water bath. Methanoic acid reacts with ethanol and undergoes a condensation reaction in which a molecule of water is removed and water would be formed as product. This causes them to join together and forms an ester which is Ethyl Methanoate and this gives rise to the smell of rasberries.

N.B when potassium dichromate is acifiied oxidised colour changes from organe to green
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, methanol is a primary alcohol and is therefore, oxidised to a carboxylic acid via heating under relux, with acidified potassium dichromate and concentrated H2SO4 and forms methaoic acid, the methanoic acid then has to react with an alochol and a catalyst would be needed in this concentratied H2SO4 (H+(aq)) and should be heated in a water bath. Methanoic acid reacts with ethanol and undergoes a condensation reaction in which a molecule of water is removed and water would be formed as product. This causes them to join together and forms an ester which is Ethyl Methanoate and this gives rise to the smell of rasberries.

N.B when potassium dichromate is acifiied oxidised colour changes from organe to green
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you breaking up with me

I thought we were good buddies
    Ha. No! You probably just didn't see my question.

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok

Define: esterification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterYi)
    Ha. No! You probably just didn't see my question.
    oh ok

ReputationRep:
    oh ok
    1) explain why triglycerides are soluble in non polar solvents and not in water [3]

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I posted this in the F325 thread, if anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Could someone please help me in regards to the rate-determining step?
    Does it always have to be the first step in the mechanism of the reaction?

eg. for 2NO2 + O2 = 2NO2
    rate = k[NO]2

For the mechanism I put:
    O2 + N2 = N2O2
    N2O2 + 2NO = 2NO2 + N2

But the answer is:
    2NO = N2O2
    N2O2 + O2 = NO2

So does the slow step mechanism always happen first and is followed by the fast steps? I thought it didn't matter, so please someone tell me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zzzyax)
    1) explain why triglycerides are soluble in non polar solvents and not in water [3]
    Triglycerides are long chain carbon bonds and atoms and contains no OH group for it to dissolve in water as hydrogen bonds are not formed

ReputationRep:
    Triglycerides are long chain carbon bonds and atoms and contains no OH group for it to dissolve in water as hydrogen bonds are not formed

• do not form good hydrogen bonds,

• due to lack of oxygen atoms in hydrocarbon chain

• form van der waals forces between trigylcerides
    • and non polar solvent

• long hydrocarbon chains do not hydrogen
      bond/would interfere with hydrogen bonding in water
      AW

ReputationRep:
    I just did my first F324 past paper, i got 45/60, ran out time abit, you have to do this exam so fast, its like a ****ing speed test, how fast can you write, in this exam you cannot afford to waste a single moment daydreaming or whatever, you must be almost relentless in the speed you write, and be absolutely focused all the time, cause youll need every second in this exam , yes they have given an extra 15 mins, (but as shown in jan F325), they have made the papers harder or increased the grade boundaries, (think about it there are not just going to given extra time and thats it because its unfair of people in previous years), anyway over the next month im going to do the rest of the papers and perhaps post what i get here.

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, Im wondering if anyone has got a big compilation of questions? Especially those on the old spec which are still relevant. If people dont mind posing one it could be very useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIG Y)
    Hey people, Im wondering if anyone has got a big compilation of questions? Especially those on the old spec which are still relevant. If people dont mind posing one it could be very useful?
    Master Yi posted a link before http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post42165206

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    Master Yi posted a link before http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post42165206
    cheers man!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.