Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    So you would rather cheat than accept your honest grade because you aren't as strong as other students? That's just shameful and not all stude get help from their students as I had to also sit mine under exam conditions and did perfectly fine in them, just revise the topics that you might think will appear in it, also take your time and make sure to read the question through properly. If you then don't do so well then you clearly should've taken a different subject.

The truth hurts sometimes, love.
    Touché

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm please, do we have to memorize everything on how to produce a Chromatogram ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak_bang)
    Errrrr well UMS grade boundaries are already fairly high due to the fact that 90% of students recieve help from their teachers. Do you expect students like me, who have to do the practicals under exam conditions, to sit here while everyone else seems to have an unfair advantage? I don't think so love
    My current Teacher is annoying.

He doesn't help at all. My previous teacher would practically tell us the answers.

To get an A*, you have to be scoring at least 36/40 on the Practical and I'm on 30/40 which is a D Grade.

I have two more chances at this to get like 4-5 marks otherwise I will have to get like 95% Raw Marks on Chem 4 and Chem 5. From the work I've done so far, I think its possible for Chem 5, but it will take quite a bit to do of daily rehearsing to do it on Chem 4

ReputationRep:
    So you would rather cheat than accept your honest grade because you aren't as strong as other students? That's just shameful and not all stude get help from their students as I had to also sit mine under exam conditions and did perfectly fine in them, just revise the topics that you might think will appear in it, also take your time and make sure to read the question through properly. If you then don't do so well then you clearly should've taken a different subject.

The truth hurts sometimes, love.
    MathsNerd as much as I agree and love you on the C3 and C4 Forums you are wrong in this regard.

Cheating is wrong 1000% yes, but I used to go to a very good school, the Practical Marks for even the "lesser" students were all A's, because the Teachers told us exactly what to do, and what to learn.

Practicals aren't the same as Exams, where if you do all the questions from 10 years and assuming you never make the same mistake twice you will get an A grade. In practicals you have nothing to prepare with, as past papers aren't avaliable hence the Students with Better Teachers/Tutors will do well.

It's unfortunate but that's just the nature of the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    MathsNerd as much as I agree and love you on the C3 and C4 Forums you are wrong in this regard.

Cheating is wrong 1000% yes, but I used to go to a very good school, the Practical Marks for even the "lesser" students were all A's, because the Teachers told us exactly what to do, and what to learn.

Practicals aren't the same as Exams, where if you do all the questions from 10 years and assuming you never make the same mistake twice you will get an A grade. In practicals you have nothing to prepare with, as past papers aren't avaliable hence the Students with Better Teachers/Tutors will do well.

Totally agree..this is why I was asking for some hints. It's unfair that students who don't put any effort in whatsoever get better grades in practicals than students who actually study for them. Preparing for practical exams is really difficult especially if you go to a college like mine, where teachers give you hardly any resources and you have to literally prepare yourself. With the practical titles being as unambiguous as they are, it's hard to predict what sort of things will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak_bang)
    Totally agree..this is why I was asking for some hints. It's unfair that students who don't put any effort in whatsoever get better grades in practicals than students who actually study for them. Preparing for practical exams is really difficult especially if you go to a college like mine, where teachers give you hardly any resources and you have to literally prepare yourself. With the practical titles being as unambiguous as they are, it's hard to predict what sort of things will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi want to revise chromatography

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up for revision, please quote me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

If the teacher was telling you what to do and such then they were breaking the rules as its meant to be under exam conditions so can't really communicate with eachother, plus the teachers shouldn't be helping you out.

That is how the fair grades would come from but I completely understand that hardly any teachers can keep their integrity because they'd rather let their students cheat instead of them getting what they are capable of.

Also the teachers will be able to see what each assessment will contain, so they could teach you the information just before doing the practical or do a practice one that's similar.

ReputationRep:
    hey there does anyone now how to improve the experiment of a water of crystallisation method such as titration or thermal deconposition? Thankyouuu

ReputationRep:
    If the teacher was telling you what to do and such then they were breaking the rules as its meant to be under exam conditions so can't really communicate with eachother, plus the teachers shouldn't be helping you out.

That is how the fair grades would come from but I completely understand that hardly any teachers can keep their integrity because they'd rather let their students cheat instead of them getting what they are capable of.

Also the teachers will be able to see what each assessment will contain, so they could teach you the information just before doing the practical or do a practice one that's similar.
    The Boundaries aren't 36/40 for an A for no reason.

But anyway how far are you coming with Revision mate? I'm still Re-capping Mod1 and 2 then I'm gonna do all the legacy papers for Mod 1 and 2 together. Then move onto Mod 3 + Q's.

This Phys 5 stuff is taking me more time than it should to finish though.

Really looking forward to getting all my questions done for my subjects.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The Boundaries aren't 36/40 for an A for no reason.

But anyway how far are you coming with Revision mate? I'm still Re-capping Mod1 and 2 then I'm gonna do all the legacy papers for Mod 1 and 2 together. Then move onto Mod 3 + Q's.

This Phys 5 stuff is taking me more time than it should to finish though.

Really looking forward to getting all my questions done for my subjects.
    I know, but still it's just as bad if people are asking for tips because they're basically cheating like the others.

I'm quite confident about the first 2 chapters and its only the horrible chromatography to go really, I'll be doing some mocks for each unit at the end of next week, or maybe in 2 weeks time

Hope it's all going well you for too, just need to ace this exam now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know, but still it's just as bad if people are asking for tips because they're basically cheating like the others.

I'm quite confident about the first 2 chapters and its only the horrible chromatography to go really, I'll be doing some mocks for each unit at the end of next week, or maybe in 2 weeks time

Hope it's all going well you for too, just need to ace this exam now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We are the opposite, in terms of how much material I have to learn, Chem 4 Mod 1 and Mod 2 are the most out of all my exams. Even though it is a retake so many equations you just have to be comfortable with otherwise you'll get all Organic Chem Questions wrong.

I find it quite straight forward to remember all the Physics and Maths stuff, and hence Chem 5 so far (Haven't done Mod 3 yet)

How do you learn/Recap Mod 1 and Mod 2 any help in that regard would be great.

What I'm doing atm which I did not do last time is creating little Question Documents, i.e. What is Esterification? Give Reactions and Conditions, but would like to know what your doing if you find them easier than me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    Anyone up for revision, please quote me
    When you're on buddy, quote me and give me a question please! I had to go and churn some butter, so I was idle earlier.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    We are the opposite, in terms of how much material I have to learn, Chem 4 Mod 1 and Mod 2 are the most out of all my exams. Even though it is a retake so many equations you just have to be comfortable with otherwise you'll get all Organic Chem Questions wrong.

I find it quite straight forward to remember all the Physics and Maths stuff, and hence Chem 5 so far (Haven't done Mod 3 yet)

How do you learn/Recap Mod 1 and Mod 2 any help in that regard would be great.

What I'm doing atm which I did not do last time is creating little Question Documents, i.e. What is Esterification? Give Reactions and Conditions, but would like to know what your doing if you find them easier than me?
    I see, I just read the information and do mind maps without the book to see what I can remember, then go into finer details for each topic and such, like benzene, it's reactions, conditions and reagents, the stability of it and why bromine needs a halogen carrier to react with it.

Once this is done for each then I go onto the past papers, doing them under exam conditions to keep my time management up to scratch and harshly mark myself afterwards.

That's it really

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I sat this very exam last year and got an A* in chem overall. Anyone stuck on something or need advice give me a shout. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I see, I just read the information and do mind maps without the book to see what I can remember, then go into finer details for each topic and such, like benzene, it's reactions, conditions and reagents, the stability of it and why bromine needs a halogen carrier to react with it.

Once this is done for each then I go onto the past papers, doing them under exam conditions to keep my time management up to scratch and harshly mark myself afterwards.

That's it really

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah boom cheers bro, yeah perfect that's the BIG element I was missing in ALL my revision.

Testing myself without the book. I had some dumbass thinking that just reading was enough to demonstrate to myself I knew the stuff.

I need to continually test myself without the book. Surprised I even got like 49/50 Raw Marks then being such a retard.

Really really looking forward to doing these questions. First time in a looong time I've actually enjoyed the process of working. I actually feel like I am making some good ground.

Such poor technique before. Thank god for Studentroom <3
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Hey guys I sat this very exam last year and got an A* in chem overall. Anyone stuck on something or need advice give me a shout. Cheers
    What did you do to get that grade? Any tips will be extremely helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah boom cheers bro, yeah perfect that's the BIG element I was missing in ALL my revision.

Testing myself without the book. I had some dumbass thinking that just reading was enough to demonstrate to myself I knew the stuff.

I need to continually test myself without the book. Surprised I even got like 49/50 Raw Marks then being such a retard.

Really really looking forward to doing these questions. First time in a looong time I've actually enjoyed the process of working. I actually feel like I am making some good ground.

Such poor technique before. Thank god for Studentroom <3
    It's alright, I was just as naive last year aswell, I just the read the book over about 50 times as I thought I would definitely remember it all when it came to the exam, however instead I got the stuff mixed up all the time so I only got a C last year.

This year will be my year and I'll get this bloody A! Had another teacher give me the 'talk about my future', it's quite ridiculous that no one is believing that I'll be able to get an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you do to get that grade? Any tips will be extremely helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey mate, well I found chem easiest of my a levels compared to bio and physics. Maybe due to its high mathematical content and logical essay questions involved. My advice to you would be go through the whole text book, if your using the same one I used- which is coloured teal blueish in areas. Answer all the exam questions after each chapter and try get a good grasp of topics. The answers should be on the cd included. Another rhing I did was pretty much work on every past f324 paper, and even some of the older ones as the conteny is pretty similar. Other than that try to do a lot of private study-I found revising with mates in library really didnt help me, in fact it was a bit of a distraction. The key to an A* is the isa grade, you really need a bigh mark ie 38/40 which will give you some leg room in this final exam. What grade are you working on at the moment may I ask?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Hey mate, well I found chem easiest of my a levels compared to bio and physics. Maybe due to its high mathematical content and logical essay questions involved. My advice to you would be go through the whole text book, if your using the same one I used- which is coloured teal blueish in areas. Answer all the exam questions after each chapter and try get a good grasp of topics. The answers should be on the cd included. Another rhing I did was pretty much work on every past f324 paper, and even some of the older ones as the conteny is pretty similar. Other than that try to do a lot of private study-I found revising with mates in library really didnt help me, in fact it was a bit of a distraction. The key to an A* is the isa grade, you really need a bigh mark ie 38/40 which will give you some leg room in this final exam. What grade are you working on at the moment may I ask?
    I see well I find it the hardest, not because of the content but actually trying to remember it all as its nothing compared to my Maths and Further Maths.

I've got 37/40 in my practicals, if I remember correctly but my teacher doesn't want me to try anymore as its just time wasted which could be used on recapping the content, so I've stopped there and I've currently only got a C from last year but I'm resitting all bar the 2nd unit so I'm determined to improve dramatically!

Thanks for all these tips and advice, it'll really help and I'll keep it in mind when going through past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.