The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by MathsNerd1
I was thinking because its got 12 hydrogens in the same environment making it the most stable, therefore putting it as the standard. But what you said was correct too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, good point!

Describe why phenol reacts more readily with chlorine as compared to benzene (3 marks and 1 mark for QWC)
Original post by otrivine
yes, good point!

Describe why phenol reacts more readily with chlorine as compared to benzene (3 marks and 1 mark for QWC)

Okay well in the phenol the non bonded pair of electrons in the oxygen from the phenol I'd fed into the delocalised ring of electrons, which increases the electron density of the compound making it have a greater attraction towards bromine therefore it doesn't need a halogen carrier like it does with benzene.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 962
Okay well in the phenol the non bonded pair of electrons in the oxygen from the phenol I'd fed into the delocalised ring of electrons, which increases the electron density of the compound making it have a greater attraction towards bromine therefore it doesn't need a halogen carrier like it does with benzene.

Posted from TSR Mobile

4/4 good

my turn
4/4 good

my turn

Thanks, explain why the structure of benzene has had to be adapted through time. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 964
yes column chromatogrppahy is to do with Gas chromatography

please tell me what is HPC thingy:confused: worried now

Are you going for an A* Otrivine?

Some of your answers are so detailed. :/ :/ Not sure the book definitions are even as detailed.

Scared and confused. I need to up my game.
Reply 965
Thanks, explain why the structure of benzene has had to be adapted through time. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because there was a kekule structure that was proposed as the benzene strucutre. As the year progressed , using x-ray crystallography they found that in benzene the c-c bond lengths are the same. The enthalpy change of hydrogenation of benzene is slightly less exothermic than Kekule and the extra energy is used to break the pi bond known as resosance energy. Therefore, benzene is more stable than kekule. Also, in Benzene it has lower electron density and therefore cannot polarise halogen molecules such as bromine.
Reply 966
Original post by Better

Some of your answers are so detailed. :/ :/ Not sure the book definitions are even as detailed.

Dont worry :smile:

Have you started doing papers?
Original post by Better

This is our competition and I can tell you I'm no where near this good! I'm quite desperate to get this A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because there was a kekule structure that was proposed as the benzene strucutre. As the year progressed , using x-ray crystallography they found that in benzene the c-c bond lengths are the same. The enthalpy change of hydrogenation of benzene is slightly less exothermic than Kekule and the extra energy is used to break the pi bond known as resosance energy. Therefore, benzene is more stable than kekule. Also, in Benzene it has lower electron density and therefore cannot polarise halogen molecules such as bromine.

Correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 969

Describe electrophilic substiution (4)
Reply 970
This is our competition and I can tell you I'm no where near this good! I'm quite desperate to get this A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah your right man. You've made me nervous. But in a good way. I really want an A*. 55+/60 Chem 4 and 90+/100 Chem 5.

Come at us Otrivine. I am going to start Recapping Chemistry EVERYDAY!
Original post by Better
Yeah your right man. You've made me nervous. But in a good way. I really want an A*. 55+/60 Chem 4 and 90+/100 Chem 5.

Come at us Otrivine. I am going to start Recapping Chemistry EVERYDAY!

I tend to do 3 hours a day now because of all this! But I've got 3 units to tackle and sometimes the length of time will vary really, yeah we'll do better than him now! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Describe electrophilic substiution (4)

Is that the one used in nitration of benzene? And halogenation too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 973

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are very good :smile:
Reply 974
Is that the one used in nitration of benzene? And halogenation too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but describe the mechanism in words
You are very good :smile:

I'm seriously not, quite poor really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes but describe the mechanism in words

Oh, I can't do that, I'd just draw the mechanism as surely that's also correct too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 977
I'm seriously not, quite poor really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you are good!! `

I am so happy we have F325 first, I enjoy unit 5 more than unit 4
Reply 978
Oh, I can't do that, I'd just draw the mechanism as surely that's also correct too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is correct too!OK

ill give you different one

CH3COCHO is called methylglyxal , state any reagents, conditions,observations , one for oxidation and one for reduction (4)
No you are good!! `

I am so happy we have F325 first, I enjoy unit 5 more than unit 4

Not really and I've barely looked at the last unit :-/

This A/A* will be quite a challenge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending