Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    Reagent C reacts only with paracetamol and not aspirin?

what is the reagent? why is it Br2 when there is no alkene ?
    Maybe one has a Phenol while the other doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    genuinely believe we will get a question on TMS, and the use of D20 as well as maybe a question on triglycerides and the formation of biodiesel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mus1995)
    Read the question again, it asks for Aspirin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not aspirin and paracetmol have a alkene. Its clearly in the past paper diagram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    Not aspirin and paracetmol have a alkene. Its clearly in the past paper diagram
    Apologies I was looking at the wrong paper. Right it asks for paracetamol as you said.

What you need to for this question is look at the functional groups you identified and identify what will react with one etc as I'm sure you've done.

Looking at paracetamol for a reagent C that reacts only with it:

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371227244.013319.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  57.8 KB

It has a hydroxyl group attached to the benzene ring (phenol). The oxygen atom in the phenol has a lone pair of electrons that delocalises into the ring increasing its electron density and effectively activating it.

Reagent is Bromine. As it will react with this activated benzene ring and not the one in aspirin. You are right there are no alkene groups in either so you don't have to worry about that.

Taking phenol as Carbon 1. The Bromine atoms will go on Carbon 2 and 6, as Carbon 4 is already bonded to Nitrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies I was looking at the wrong paper. Right it asks for paracetamol as you said.

What you need to for this question is look at the functional groups you identified and identify what will react with one etc as I'm sure you've done.

Looking at paracetamol for a reagent C that reacts only with it:

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371227244.013319.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  57.8 KB

It has a hydroxyl group attached to the benzene ring (phenol). The oxygen atom in the phenol has a lone pair of electrons that delocalises into the ring increasing its electron density and effectively activating it.

Reagent is Bromine. As it will react with this activated benzene ring and not the one in aspirin. You are right there are no alkene groups in either so you don't have to worry about that.

Taking phenol as Carbon 1. The Bromine atoms will go on Carbon 2 and 6, as Carbon 4 is already bonded to Nitrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh yes, of course, thank you got it now

ReputationRep:
    hi for the last question the june 2012 u have to identify what the ester there are 4 peaks on the graph however the ester in the mark scheme has more than 4 enviroments can someone tell.me what im doing wrong

ReputationRep:
    This exam needs to hurry up and come already, the stress is going to kill me if I wait any longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    This exam needs to hurry up and come already, the stress is going to kill me if I wait any longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha these late exams are taking ages to turn up. What kind of revision are you doing now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakaas)
    hi for the last question the june 2012 u have to identify what the ester there are 4 peaks on the graph however the ester in the mark scheme has more than 4 enviroments can someone tell.me what im doing wrong
    At 7.3 ppm its ArH (aromatic) - peak area of 5, therefore, five protons on the benzene ring so C6H5.

At 4.3 ppm its C-O - peak area of 2, therefore, 2 protons in this environment so H2C-O

At 2.9 ppm its C=O - peak area of 2, therefore, 2 protons in this environment so H2C=O

A 2.1 ppm its RCH - peak are of 3, therefore, its 3 protons in this environment so CH3

The full structure is CH3COOCH2CH2C6H5

CH3 is not split (singlet) because it is next to the bond C=O and so has no H on the neighbouring environment.

ReputationRep:
    Haha these late exams are taking ages to turn up. What kind of revision are you doing now?
    For chemistry just doing past papers and going through the old spec questions. I know pretty much all the reactions, I just need to focus on not screwing up in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Would really appreciate if someone could help me
    Attached are part of my notes for polyesters.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235354.590487.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  143.8 KB

For the second type it doesn't say how many water molecules would be formed.
    Looks to me like it will be the same as the first equation (2n-1)h2o but I wanted to check?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is the reagents for base and acid hydrolysis correct?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235962.495700.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  140.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryingtolearn95)
    Hey

Looks to me like it will be the same as the first equation (2n-1)h2o but I wanted to check?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For every ester/amide bond being formed, a water molecule is eliminated. Simply this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would form two from the two ester bonds formed. The way condensation polymerisation works is that for EVERY amide/ester linkage/bond formed you also form a small molecule such as H2O. However looking a the ends they have left the bonds open (for more ester linkages) so there would be more small molecules formed for those bonds to be opened. It's confusing so just ignore that example it's just there to show you how to draw repeat units.

Is the reagents for base and acid hydrolysis correct?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235962.495700.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  140.3 KB
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, here is what you should say in the exam:

For alkaline hydrolysis: NaOH (aq) heated under reflux

For acid hydrolysis: HCl (aq) heated under reflux

Heat and aqueous is required as they say in the book for obvious reasons (collisions etc). Reflux is there because you are dealing with volatile compounds such as esters which will evaporate, so you need to hydrolyze under reflux so they are returned to the reaction mixture and all of the ester is hydrolyzed.

ReputationRep:
    How much of NMR in medicine is everyone learning/do you need to learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomingblossoms)
    I didn't learn the uses of NMR in detail, as the questions I've come across only ask what it's used for.

Space probes, security (airports), forensics and medical applications? Oh and environmental analysis.

ReputationRep:
    None of it, I was told and the specification just tells us to know uses for NMR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't learn the uses of NMR in detail, as the questions I've come across only ask what it's used for.

Space probes, security (airports), forensics and medical applications? Oh and environmental analysis.
    I think you're getting confused with chromatography, those uses are for chromatography, NMR is MRI machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Barely anything. The page in the book is a load of waffle.

All I'm learning is the uses: Cancer treatment and sport injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    I think you're getting confused with chromatography, those uses are for chromatography, NMR is MRI machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damnit brain!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.