Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    is it that there should be restricted rotation of (around) the carbon -carbon double bond and that each carbon atom must be attached to four different atoms or groups of atom, also a double bond must be present. Also, there are two types of stereoisomers , E-Z (cis/trans).

I dont think it should be hard, but you have to work hard. This is all subject to difficulty of paper.
    Yep correct. It is E/Z only if the 2 substituent groups on each carbon are the same

And yeah hopefully the paper wont be too hard :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    is it that there should be restricted rotation of (around) the carbon -carbon double bond and that each carbon atom must be attached to four different atoms or groups of atom, also a double bond must be present. Also, there are two types of stereoisomers , E-Z (cis/trans).

I dont think it should be hard, but you have to work hard. This is all subject to difficulty of paper.
    Isn't it only 2 different atoms/groups of atom that it has to be attached to? So long as they're on different sides of the molecule...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulzar)
    Yep correct. It is E/Z only if the 2 substituent groups on each carbon are the same

And yeah hopefully the paper wont be too hard :rolleyes:
    yes !

I need to brush up on F322 as well, I will also try and learn the mechanisms again from unit 2 in case they ask us again as an application type question.

Suggest how you would distinguish between a addition and condensation reactions/polymerisation (4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod77)
    Isn't it only 2 different atoms/groups of atom that it has to be attached to? So long as they're on different sides of the molecule...
    Oh yes that is a good point dude. Sorry I missed that in your answer Otrivine

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry it is 2.

you seem to want to revise with us

Define:carbon neutral (2)

ReputationRep:
    yes !

I need to brush up on F322 as well, I will also try and learn the mechanisms again from unit 2 in case they ask us again as an application type question.

Suggest how you would distinguish between a addition and condensation reactions/polymerisation (4)
    I dont know how to distinguish using a test of some sort???
    But I know the differences...
    Addition polymerisation monomers are alkenes. There is no emilination of water at all. The polymer is built from many addition reactions.

Condenstation polymerisation does release water when the 2 monomers join. This is repeated elimination reactions. The monomers can be a diol and dicarboxylic acid OR a diamino molecule and a dicarboxylic acid...depending whether u want to create a polyester OR a polypeptide

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how to distinguish using a test of some sort???
    But I know the differences...
    Addition polymerisation monomers are alkenes. There is no emilination of water at all. The polymer is built from many addition reactions.

Condenstation polymerisation does release water when the 2 monomers join. This is repeated elimination reactions. The monomers can be a diol and dicarboxylic acid OR a diamino molecule and a dicarboxylic acid...depending whether u want to create a polyester OR a polypeptide
    exactly, right and could mention that if two compounds or one compound displays one or more functional groups then the type of polymerisation is condensation

my turn

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry it is 2.

you seem to want to revise with us

Define:carbon neutral (2)
    Sorry, I was just reading through because I do need to start my revision too! I've only learnt modules 1 and 3 so far though...

Carbon neutral... Not much good at definitions if I'm honest and I can't find it in the book, but is it just something that uses up as much Carbon Dioxide as it gives out?

ReputationRep:
    exactly, right and could mention that if two compounds or one compound displays one or more functional groups then the type of polymerisation is condensation

my turn
    I have never revised like this...its great

Synthesis question. I have a molecule...propanone ...I want to create propanal. State the reagents, reactants and conditions required for this route.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I was just reading through because I do need to start my revision too! I've only learnt modules 1 and 3 so far though...

Carbon neutral... Not much good at definitions if I'm honest and I can't find it in the book, but is it just something that uses up as much Carbon Dioxide as it gives out?
    The defintion of carbon neutral was on module 1 , its in the green boxes, but yes you are correct, its where the crop absorbs co2 as is released (same) amount of co2 when fuel is combusted.

want to do module 1 from carboxylic acid until the amine bit at the end.

ReputationRep:
    I have never revised like this...its great

Synthesis question. I have a molecule...propanone ...I want to create propanal. State the reagents, reactants and conditions required for this route.
    Yes, it makes revision less boring!

Not covered it, I only did from carboxylic acid upto polymerisation bits? Unless, I missed out a page?so from page 32 upto 60/

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it makes revision less boring!

Not covered it, I only did from carboxylic acid upto polymerisation bits? Unless, I missed out a page?
    Oh sorry

If an amino acid is placed in a pH above its isoelectric point...what will happen?

ReputationRep:
    The defintion of carbon neutral was on module 1 , its in the green boxes, but yes you are correct, its where the crop absorbs co2 as is released (same) amount of co2 when fuel is combusted.

want to do module 1 from carboxylic acid until the amine bit at the end.
    Sure

How is a triglyceride formed?

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry

If an amino acid is placed in a pH above its isoelectric point...what will happen?
    No worries, tomorrow I will get chapter 1 done , so we can revise everything fully. cause once I finished those two chapters everything by tomorrow , I only then have proton NMR and carbon environments to study

Your question is not correctly phrased, it should be if the amino acid is either more acidic or alkaline e.t.c ? you have to state if the amino acid is more acidic or higher PH than isoelectric point.

ReputationRep:
    Sure

Is formed when a glycerol (propane-1,2,3-triol) reacts with 3 fatty acids to form triglyceride and underoges condesation reaction so water molecule is removed to form triglyceride and reaction is reversible.

ReputationRep:
    Sure

Esterification of three fatty acids joining onto the alcohol groups of glycerol.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, tomorrow I will get chapter 1 done , so we can revise everything fully. cause once I finished those two chapters everything by tomorrow , I only then have proton NMR and carbon environments to study

Your question is not correctly phrased, it should be if the amino acid is either more acidic or alkaline e.t.c ? you have to state if the amino acid is more acidic or higher PH than isoelectric point.
    Oh ok...if it is placed in a pH more acidic than the isolectric point...what will be the result then?

ReputationRep:

Is formed when a glycerol (propane-1,2,3-triol) reacts with 3 fatty acids to form triglyceride and underoges condesation reaction so water molecule is removed to form triglyceride and reaction is reversible.
    Can you call it condensation?

Edit: Yes

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok...if it is placed in a pH more acidic than the isolectric point...what will be the result then?
    yes, do you get why I said that

The overall charge would become positive because the amino acid acts as a base and accepts a proton from the carboxyl group and so will form NH3+ and COO-

ReputationRep:

Yep! Perfect answer

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.