Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    I dont think chemical tests will be asked, as it was quite heavy in the Jan paper! sadly

Describe transesterification
    Hm.. true, but OCR do whatever they like. I guess we just don't know, It's hard to predict for this paper, because there isn't alot of content.

exchanging the organic group of an ester with the organic group R of an alcohol.

What is required required to convert bromoethane into methylamine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevloui)
    Hm.. true, but OCR do whatever they like. I guess we just don't know, It's hard to predict for this paper, because there isn't alot of content.

exchanging the organic group of an ester with the organic group R of an alcohol.

What is required required to convert bromoethane into methylamine?

True

I thought transesterfication is the process of reacting triglycerides with either methanol or ethanol as they are renewable under the presence of NaOH or KOH catalyst to give biodiesel and glycerol ?

To convert bromoethane to methylamine, the reagents are excess NH3 and ethanol as solvent and condition heat under reflux

ReputationRep:
    I thought transesterfication is the process of reacting triglycerides with either methanol or ethanol as they are renewable under the presence of NaOH or KOH catalyst to give biodiesel and glycerol ?
    It is. He over simplified it. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mus1995)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see!

you with these draw impure structures,

is it any structure you can draw and get a mark

ReputationRep:
    True

To convert bromoethane to methylamine, the reagents are excess NH3 and ethanol as solvent and condition heat under reflux
    Is that the definition in the book? I just said the definition I once heard.

And yess perfect, my turn

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Simplicity is fun.. Except in OCR exams

ReputationRep:
    Is that the definition in the book? I just said the definition I once heard.

And yess perfect, my turn
    I see Good!!

State the features of Proton NMR that allows you to identify the structure

ReputationRep:
    I see Good!!

State the features of Proton NMR that allows you to identify the structure
    Multiplicity:- N+1 with number of H+ on adjacent carbon
    Integration:- Number of H+ on corresponding carbon
    Chemical shift:- Identification of the chemical environment

Explain what you will see on a benzene HNMR

ReputationRep:
    Why??? You guys have been on here doin loads of stuff, I've just been waiting for this exam to come and go.
    Same. Just waiting. Not particularly confident, just want it over with so I can focus on the holidays before unay

ReputationRep:
    Multiplicity:- N+1 with number of H+ on adjacent carbon
    Integration:- Number of H+ on corresponding carbon
    Chemical shift:- Identification of the chemical environment

Explain what you will see on a benzene HNMR
    correct

In benzene proton NMR, you would expect, there to be a chemical shift 6.5-8ppm and 1 peak which shows a doublet, , so 1 hydrogen atom adjacent to carbon atom.

ReputationRep:
    I see!

you with these draw impure structures,

is it any structure you can draw and get a mark
    I don't understand. Elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OKay in 2 past papers I saw , they ask you to draw an impure structure, how would we know if we did it correctly or not? Is it any structure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _HabibaH_)
    Same. Just waiting. Not particularly confident, just want it over with so I can focus on the holidays before unay
    Ahh man I can't wait!

correct

In benzene proton NMR, you would expect, there to be a chemical shift 6.5-8ppm and 1 peak which shows a doublet, , so 1 hydrogen atom adjacent to carbon atom.
    Nice onneee!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh man I can't wait!

Nice onneee!
    Give the roles of TMS,CDCL3,D2O

ReputationRep:
    OKay in 2 past papers I saw , they ask you to draw an impure structure, how would we know if we did it correctly or not? Is it any structure
    Oh. We'll look at what I posted for both of them. You just further substitute on the amine group.

You know how if you have RCl + 2NH3 -----> (ethanol solvent) RNH2 + NH4(+)Cl(-)

This is the product you usually form in the first part of the question. The next part asks you for the impurity.

All do you is take the RNH2 and substitute a H for another R by the same reaction above. You can do this until no Hydrogen atoms remain. You label the amine like this:

NH3 - ammonia

NH2 - primary amine

NH - secondary amine

N - Tertiary amine

Where H's are replaced with different/the same R groups. Like RNH2 and 2RNH etc

To check your impurity is right just look at the molecular formula they provide and compare it to your structure.

One second ill post the Chem guide page

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh. We'll look at what I posted for both of them. You just further substitute on the amine group.

You know how if you have RCl + 2NH3 -----> (ethanol solvent) RNH2 + NH4(+)Cl(-)

This is the product you usually form in the first part of the question. The next part asks you for the impurity.

All do you is take the RNH2 and substitute a H for another R by the same reaction above. You can do this until no Hydrogen atoms remain. You label the amine like this:

NH3 - ammonia

NH2 - primary amine

NH - secondary amine

N - Tertiary amine

Where H's are replaced with different/the same R groups. Like RNH2 and 2RNH etc

To check your impurity is right just look at the molecular formula they provide and compare it to your structure.

One second ill post the Chem guide page

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks but the book shows the product as HCL??

ReputationRep:
    thanks but the book shows the product as HCL??
    Read this http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...ation.html#top

Ah you'd think. And as I have shown/you can see HCl (aq) is formed from the H and Cl.

However. You need EXCESS ammonia for this reaction. So the ion NH4(+)Cl(-) ion will form. It is very unlikely you will be left with HCl!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me, I've just done a past paper from June 2010 and there's a question that tells me to write an equation on hydroxyethanal HOCH2CHO with an oxidising agent [O] and the mark scheme gives HOCH2CHO + 3[O] > HOOCCH2COOH + H2O the oxygen atoms balance out but the hydrogens don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mus1995)
    Attachment 227220

here you go. Ask if you don't understand/can't read anything.

posted from tsr mobile
    thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Bit messy. It's another further substitution. Attachment 227223

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This helps so much thankyou!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.