Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    how many carbon environments in 1,2-dimethylbenzene, 1,3-dimethylbenzene and ethylbenzene??? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    quick question

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65129-q...d-analysis.pdf

why is it only aspirin reacts with the Na2CO3 cause both compounds consist of carbonyl groups/?
    It's because the COOH reacts with it to make a salt, CO2 and H2O. Phenol is too weak of an acid to actually react with NaCO3. This is actually a test to tell them apart because the one with COOH will fizz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wl1)
    Great, thanks. So -NH and -OH protons will have singlet splitting patterns even if they are adjacent to a carbon with a proton?

Yes unless if they state in the question using d20 by proton exchange these peaks will no give of a peak once d20 is added

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry x3)
    It's because the COOH reacts with it to make a salt, CO2 and H2O. Phenol is too weak of an acid to actually react with NaCO3. This is actually a test to tell them apart because the one with COOH will fizz
    I see if they ask us why this can react with Na2co3 and that cant, what should we say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meado123)
    Hey can someone please help me out on Q3 C on the June 2010 paper?

Paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59707-q...d-analysis.pdf

Mark scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59704-m...lysis-june.pdf
    This question doesn't give information on the whole spectrum but since they said there is doublet at chemical shift 0.9 of area 6, the aldehyde has two methyl groups bonded to CH the only aldehyde with the given molecular formula and that sequence is(CH3)2CHCH2CHO

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AFC_123456789)
    how many carbon environments in 1,2-dimethylbenzene, 1,3-dimethylbenzene and ethylbenzene??? thanks
    4/4/6 I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clard254)
    This question doesn't give information on the whole spectrum but since they said there is doublet at chemical shift 0.9 of area 6, the aldehyde has two methyl groups bonded to CH the only aldehyde with the given molecular formula and that sequence is(CH3)2CHCH2CHO

hope that helps
    Thankyou, yes i understand now

ReputationRep:
    Just say that COOH is strong enough to react with NaCO3 while phenol isn't I think.

ReputationRep:
    can someone please tell me all the reagents and conditions we are expected to know for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmccarl)
    can someone please tell me all the reagents and conditions we are expected to know for the exam?
    Its been posted, check the previous recent post for a massive list.

They are in the textbook too summarised if you looked at the synthesis topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (CH3CO)2O + C6H5OH is a nice ester formation question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AFC_123456789)
    I make it 4, 5, 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raj Kang)
    2,4 dinitophenylhydrazine + methanol + sulpuhric acid = bradys
    i think 2,4-dnp is ok

ReputationRep:
    quick question

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65129-q...d-analysis.pdf

why is it only aspirin reacts with the Na2CO3 cause both compounds consist of carbonyl groups/?
    its not about the carbonyl C=O, that part does not react with the carbonate.

rememeber that it is acid +carbonate that reacts to from salt and water

in reactions of phenols, phenol is a very weak acid , phenol cannot react with carbonates.

remember that :

phenol +carbonate --->no reaction

phenol + metal e.g. Na --> reaction

edit :i think that right, correct me if im wrong

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59704-m...lysis-june.pdf

question 2)c)i

why do they not put on both sides O-Na+

is because it can form no charge overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zzzyax)
    its not about the carbonyl C=O, that part does not react with the carbonate.

rememeber that it is acid +carbonate that reacts to from salt and water

in reactions of phenols, phenol is a very weak acid , phenol cannot react with carbonates.

remember that :

phenol +carbonate --->no reaction

phenol + metal e.g. Na --> reaction

thank you

but please describe why

ReputationRep:
    5 days revision,need a B atleast

ReputationRep:
    thank you

but please describe why
    like i said phenol is such a weak acid it cannot react with carbonates, just remember that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    Its been posted, check the previous recent post for a massive list.

They are in the textbook too summarised if you looked at the synthesis topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    cheers.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else feeling depressed after that C4 maths exam?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.