Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My friends consider me The Stupid One Watch

ReputationRep:
    and it is pissing me off greatly.

Admittedly, I am a bit ditzy - can be very clumsy, lose and forget things, get confused easily, say stupid things - and I can laugh at myself for the majority of the time. I don't mind light teasing from my friends, but recently its been getting a bit much for me. Now my friends consider me such a bimbo that they'll dismiss practically any opinion of my own and laugh at it, when I'm usually being pretty serious about it. They'll laugh at something I've done for ages afterward, way after I stopped finding it funny. I'm constantly being the butt of jokes, like they'll lie to me and then be like "god you're so gullible!!!" when I believe them, or play tricks on me such as putting things in the hood of my coat and not telling me. They keep making fun of photos of me, particularly one I posed for as a joke and therefore look awful in, and do things like use it as their profile pictures and send it/show it to other people, when I constantly tell them I don't like it. Sometimes it feels they're being incredibly patrionizing towards me too, like I am actually far stupider than I really am. There's particularly one friend who seems to think I can't do anything myself, and basically tries to look after me when I don't need it, which pisses me off as I'm quite independant and don't really like being "helped". Because I don't want to lose my temper, I try to just laugh it all off, but I feel like I'm being walked over. When I've tried to stand up for myself and lost my temper, they just laughed harder and barely apologised to me, instead claiming I was being overdramatic. I do like my friends and don't want to lose them, but I'm sick of being treated like this and I don't know how else to stop them from acting like this.

It will take a long time to change their opinions of you. Just try to change their minds slowly. Don't do stupid things. I'm not really sure what else to tell you really.

ReputationRep:
    Every group has one person who is the most 'prominent' if you will, whoever it is in your group have a talk with him one to one about it, i guarantee on his own he wont be laughing.

ReputationRep:
    You're the 'Neil' of the group.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.