Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am all sorted having accepted my unconditional offer to Birmingham to do psychology. Just wondered what anyone thought i should do about bank accounts etc... should i open a student account now or wait until nearer the time? I am just itching to go to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I am all sorted having accepted my unconditional offer to Birmingham to do psychology. Just wondered what anyone thought i should do about bank accounts etc... should i open a student account now or wait until nearer the time? I am just itching to go to uni
    Depends who you want to banking with. To open an HSBC student account last year, I needed to take my AS12 with me (the form you get confirming your final choice from UCAS - you get it after you've confirmed two places (or one place in your situation) and declined the others). Probably best to wait nearer the time before opening an account, but don't leave it until you get here because you may need the overdraft to pay off your rent until the student loan comes through (not trying to scare you, just being practical )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Depends who you want to banking with. To open an HSBC student account last year, I needed to take my AS12 with me (the form you get confirming your final choice from UCAS - you get it after you've confirmed two places (or one place in your situation) and declined the others). Probably best to wait nearer the time before opening an account, but don't leave it until you get here because you may need the overdraft to pay off your rent until the student loan comes through (not trying to scare you, just being practical )
    thanks,

i have already got my AS12... i'll maybe do it over the summer...definately want to get it sorted before i start..

is it better to have a bank account with your local bank or one on campus??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    thanks,

i have already got my AS12... i'll maybe do it over the summer...definately want to get it sorted before i start..

is it better to have a bank account with your local bank or one on campus??
    Forgot to say congrats on your offer by the way

My account's based at home, but I only live an hour away so it didn't matter too much. I set it up before I came to uni, so it was just easier that way. To be honest, it doesn't seem to matter with HSBC where your local branch is. I pay off my credit card here and put that my local bank is back home - it doesn't seem to matter as long as you know where it is! (This is as far as I know...)

I have, however, had my statements sent to my uni address so that I have something to prove my term time address with. (and so that my parents don't see how much money I'm spending...) If you decide to do this, make sure you remember to get them sent back home over summer and then to your second year address (if you move out of halls) in the following semester.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just opened an HSBC account today as they are pretty widely used across the country...but you cant open a student account there until May/June time when they do the deals etc. But i did it so that I could give the student loans people an HSBC account number - which will stay the same when it changes to a student account anyway.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.