Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Best home workouts to lose weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll try and make this as short as possible. I went gym couple years ago, and built a lot of muscle that has turned to fat. I'm not overweight or at least I don't appear to be, but I definitely to get in better shape. I started dieting and exercising a few weeks ago. I've lost about 5lbs so far I believe, aiming to lose at least 10-15 more.

My main aim right now is to lose fat on bum/thigh/legs as that where most of it seems to be atm. And perhaps a bit on the belly, and tone up the abs.

Can you guys suggest best home exercises to do? Asides from jogging - as I do that at least every two days now.
    Also foods to avoid and so on.

Useful info:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Weight: 185
    Waist: 32 inches
    Height: 5'9.5
    Current excercises: Jogging every two days - Squats - Sometimes Push/Sit ups done too.

ReputationRep:
    You will find the best results from some form of cardio and a healthy diet. Complement it with some form of resistance and you will maintain/gain muscle, ie "tone".

I would suggest planning a twice weeks circuit session. Do a set of 8 tabata exercises; that is, 20 seconds on 10 seconds off, repeated 8 times, for 8 different exercise. You need to go as hard as you can for each 20 second session to get the most out of it and it should really hurt!

Exercises:
    Burpee (+variation; Burpee squat, toxic Burpee...)
    Squats (+squat jumps etc)
    Plank get-ups
    Round the world
    Toxic jump
    Side plank crunches
    Turkish get up
    Plank, crunch, sit up...
    High knee jumps (over a bar as high as is safe)

For extra workout, you can do a 1k run in between the exercises-it kills!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    You will find the best results from some form of cardio and a healthy diet. Complement it with some form of resistance and you will maintain/gain muscle, ie "tone".

I would suggest planning a twice weeks circuit session. Do a set of 8 tabata exercises; that is, 20 seconds on 10 seconds off, repeated 8 times, for 8 different exercise. You need to go as hard as you can for each 20 second session to get the most out of it and it should really hurt!

Exercises:
    Burpee (+variation; Burpee squat, toxic Burpee...)
    Squats (+squat jumps etc)
    Plank get-ups
    Round the world
    Toxic jump
    Side plank crunches
    Turkish get up
    Plank, crunch, sit up...
    High knee jumps (over a bar as high as is safe)

For extra workout, you can do a 1k run in between the exercises-it kills!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

And yes, it's gonna seriously burn!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Can you guys suggest best home exercises to do? Asides from jogging - as I do that at least every two days now.
    Fat loss is simple - you need to eat less energy than you burn. There are not really any foods that you should avoid per se - you should aim to get a balanced diet but just make sure that the total amount of energy from the food you eat is slightly less than you need.

With exercise, for the best results body wise, you want to do at least some stuff that encourages your body to keep some muscle so at least some exercise that is of moderate to high intensity whether it be weight training, circuit training, hitting a punch bag, skipping rounds etc.

This could be as simple as doing some circuits of burpees/squats/press ups/chin ups/dips etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to suggest you simple push ups and cycling to lose weight and developing muscles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I'll try and make this as short as possible. I went gym couple years ago, and built a lot of muscle that has turned to fat. I'm not overweight or at least I don't appear to be, but I definitely to get in better shape. I started dieting and exercising a few weeks ago. I've lost about 5lbs so far I believe, aiming to lose at least 10-15 more.

My main aim right now is to lose fat on bum/thigh/legs as that where most of it seems to be atm. And perhaps a bit on the belly, and tone up the abs.

Useful info:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Weight: 185
    Waist: 32 inches
    Height: 5'9.5
    Current excercises: Jogging every two days - Squats - Sometimes Push/Sit ups done too.
    First of all muscle cannot turn into fat.

If you want to lose weight: you need a caloric deficit and you need to do cardio.

Buy yourself a skipping rope, this is one of the greatest pieces of exercising equipment and its cheap, IMO its better than a running machine.

Do an hour of intense skipping, count your calories and reduce them.

Oh and you cant choose where to lose fat unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    How would you know how many calories you've ? Is going on a diet bad for someone still growing up ? By this I mean eating less rubbish process food. Ar there any decent tutorials you guys watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    How would you know how many calories you've ? Is going on a diet bad for someone still growing up ? By this I mean eating less rubbish process food. Ar there any decent tutorials you guys watch
    How could eating less proccessed and junk food be bad? I would imagine swapping it for more whole foods - fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, whole grains etc - would be especially beneficial for someone still maturing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isotala)
    How could eating less proccessyeah sorry about thated and junk food be bad? I would imagine swapping it for more whole foods - fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, whole grains etc - would be especially beneficial for someone still maturing.

Yeah sorry about that, what I meant was if your still growing (say 16years old) would going on a diet be beneficial to lose bit of tummy fat ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about restricting calories but I imagine if you do a bit more exercise and simply swap some unhealthy food choices for healthier ones you would see a result without any adverse effects. Just be sure you aren't losing out on any important nutrients, especially things like calcium for growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    Yeah sorry about that, what I meant was if your still growing (say 16years old) would going on a diet be beneficial to lose bit of tummy fat ?
    As a sixteen year old male, unless you are significantly overweight (say more than 2 stone) - you really shouldn't need to think about restricting your food that much. It is an important stage of life to get all of your nutrients in for growth and if you just have a bit of puppy fat, then the best thing is to get into a sport, lead an active lifestyle and eat good foods without being too neurotic about it. You will lean out as you grow and your energy needs go through the roof.

TBH, even a lot of the kids who were genuinely fat at my school seemed to shed blubber at that age as they grew. The only ones who remained fat were the ones who really took the piss with eating and didn't move around much.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you never reach malnutrition and restrict your calories it's good for you. Say if you take in 2000 calories a day restrict that to 1500 (including your nutrition) and you'll be fine. That increases your bodies resistance to stress. Key thing to take in...don't hit malnutrition. Anything else you do is fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.