Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    want to do med but lots of unis want A*'s for bio or chem, just did AS exams and was wondering if someone could tell me roughly how many UMS marks i can afford to lose at AS to still be able to get A*, like, do i need to get 90+%? or somethin like tht at AS, or can i get lower?

I just did

AQA biology-Unit 1
    AQA chemistry-Unit 1
    OCR physics-Unit 1
    OCR maths- Core 1
    AQA citizenship-unit 1

so, what kinda ums do i need, in these exams, to still be able to get a star?

Also, say you wanted to go ucl or sumthn lik that, if the university doesnt look at retakes, likie they reaaallly dont like retakes, should i still retake? will it look bad? will they get a bad impression on me or will they just look at my original grades?

Thanks a bunch guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yep)
    want to do med but lots of unis want A*'s for bio or chem, just did AS exams and was wondering if someone could tell me roughly how many UMS marks i can afford to lose at AS to still be able to get A*, like, do i need to get 90+%? or somethin like tht at AS, or can i get lower?

I just did

AQA biology-Unit 1
    AQA chemistry-Unit 1
    OCR physics-Unit 1
    OCR maths- Core 1
    AQA citizenship-unit 1

so, what kinda ums do i need, in these exams, to still be able to get a star?

Also, say you wanted to go ucl or sumthn lik that, if the university doesnt look at retakes, likie they reaaallly dont like retakes, should i still retake? will it look bad? will they get a bad impression on me or will they just look at my original grades?

Thanks a bunch guys
    You need an A overall at A level (80%) and 90% average over A2 units (it's different for maths I think but I don't know about it).
    So technically you can get 70% at AS and still get an A* (90% minimum) however that is a bit risky.

ReputationRep:
    If you got 80% or above in those exams there's no need to retake. You need to get 90% in the A2 modules so having an average of 80% at AS already removes one of the requirements which you'd have to catch up on.

If you're below 80%, think about how far below you are. Remember you do have the summer exams to make up any marks you might have lost.

ReputationRep:
    Basically what other people have said, but: if you have an A grade, then you're possibly on track for an A*.

However, you might want to talk to your subject teachers about how they decide who to predict A*s to next year - a lot of teachers will only predict A* if you're at 90% or over at AS. If this is the case, then you might want to consider re-taking to get over 90% UMS if you want to be predicted A*s, since it's your predicted grades that determine whether universities consider you for an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gummibaerchen)
    You need an A overall at A level (80%) and 90% average over A2 units (it's different for maths I think but I don't know about it).
    So technically you can get 70% at AS and still get an A* (90% minimum) however that is a bit risky.
    Ahh thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpsilonSigma)
    If you got 80% or above in those exams there's no need to retake. You need to get 90% in the A2 modules so having an average of 80% at AS already removes one of the requirements which you'd have to catch up on.

If you're below 80%, think about how far below you are. Remember you do have the summer exams to make up any marks you might have lost.
    okay, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    Basically what other people have said, but: if you have an A grade, then you're possibly on track for an A*.

However, you might want to talk to your subject teachers about how they decide who to predict A*s to next year - a lot of teachers will only predict A* if you're at 90% or over at AS. If this is the case, then you might want to consider re-taking to get over 90% UMS if you want to be predicted A*s, since it's your predicted grades that determine whether universities consider you for an offer.
    okay, but, if i do want to apply to some top unis i heard they rly dislike retakes, so is it worth retaking just to get above 90% if the universities dont like it? ill ask my teacher how they predict a2, i dnt think they jus use AS results by themself though, and do unis rly take into account predicted grades? :/

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm right in saying (?) that universities don't know if you re-take if you re-take a January exam in June. They only know the year in which you completed your AS level, so if the re-take is in the same year, they won't know.

Predicted grades is pretty much the most important thing for universities, since that's what they base their offer on. Of course, as long as you are meet the entry requirements (e.g. AAA), then one extra A* or something won't really make a difference, so it's only really relevant if the course/university you're applying to will potentially ask for an A*. Definitely worth talking to your teacher/researching potential universities beforehand so you don't end up re-taking for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have a similar question. I'm split into two minds atm. Worse thing is I've to make my decision by tomorrow. I want to apply to Cambridge for engineering.

Basically, for C1 I got 99ums, C2 I got 89 ums, G481 (Physics) - 81/90 ums, and Chemistry unit 1 I achieved 87 ums. I felt I could have done better especially in my C2 exam so I was wondering whether I should retake this module in the summer or not. I feel that high 90s possibly even a 100 ums is within my grasp (without being too boastful :P, but I have to aim high!)

So yeah I wanted to know if I only resit one module will that affect my chances with universities? Would I be looked down upon if I retook C2 and by the end achieved a high UMS average potentially between 95-100?

Is there anyone who know of anyone who's at Cambridge studying Engineering when they've retaken a module?

Thanks guys
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Hey,

I have a similar question. I'm split into two minds atm. Worse thing is I've to make my decision by tomorrow. I want to apply to Cambridge for engineering.

Basically, for C1 I got 99ums, C2 I got 89 ums, G481 (Physics) - 81/90 ums, and Chemistry unit 1 I achieved 87 ums. I felt I could have done better especially in my C2 exam so I was wondering whether I should retake this module in the summer or not. I feel that high 90s possibly even a 100 ums is within my grasp (without being too boastful :P, but I have to aim high!)

So yeah I wanted to know if I only resit one module will that affect my chances with universities? Would I be looked down upon if I retook C2 and by the end achieved a high UMS average potentially between 95-100?

Is there anyone who know of anyone who's at Cambridge studying Engineering when they've retaken a module?

Thanks guys
    I wouldn't say it was particularly worth retaking C2 if you have lots of other exams in the summer. If you don't have that many, then perhaps you may as well resit... Are you going to be studying and core maths (e.g. C3/4) before the summer exams, or are you just concentrating on the applied unit? If you won't be studying much core maths, you will have to do a lot of extra revision to keep C2 fresh in your mind.
    Cambridge will expect a significant improvement between you january C2 exam and the retake. If you don't think 95%+ is possible, perhaps don't retake - 89% is still an acceptable score.
    Cambridge can a cut off point for Auto-pooling at ~93% (I think it may vary slightly from year to year though), so if your UMS average after the summer exams (and you can get a good idea of your likely scores based on you jan exams) is 90%+ then you're application should still be ok. 89% isn't too bad...
    Other unis won't know if you retake this summer, as you will have the new grade before you apply.
    Here's a useful doc about Cambridge's view on UMS/ retakes etc. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...quirements.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I wouldn't say it was particularly worth retaking C2 if you have lots of other exams in the summer. If you don't have that many, then perhaps you may as well resit... Are you going to be studying and core maths (e.g. C3/4) before the summer exams, or are you just concentrating on the applied unit? If you won't be studying much core maths, you will have to do a lot of extra revision to keep C2 fresh in your mind.
    Cambridge will expect a significant improvement between you january C2 exam and the retake. If you don't think 95%+ is possible, perhaps don't retake - 89% is still an acceptable score.
    Cambridge can a cut off point for Auto-pooling at ~93% (I think it may vary slightly from year to year though), so if your UMS average after the summer exams (and you can get a good idea of your likely scores based on you jan exams) is 90%+ then you're application should still be ok. 89% isn't too bad...
    Other unis won't know if you retake this summer, as you will have the new grade before you apply.
    Here's a useful doc about Cambridge's view on UMS/ retakes etc. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...quirements.pdf
    Hey thanks. I have C3, C4, S1, M1 (meaning I'd have done AS and A2 maths in one year) in this summer with one physics module and another chemistry module. So essentially I'd have quite a lot of results to put through UCAS.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks. I have C3, C4, S1, M1 (meaning I'd have done AS and A2 maths in one year) in this summer with one physics module and another chemistry module. So essentially I'd have quite a lot of results to put through UCAS.
    As you don't have too many exams, you could consider retaking...
    tbh, you're probably better off just working hard on your other exams - 89% is still an A, so if you chose to put your module grades on UCAS unis will just see it as an A. Cambridge will see that you didn't do quite as well as you hoped, but people do get into Cambridge with lower scores (ever lower average scores).
    Personally, I wouldn't retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    As you don't have too many exams, you could consider retaking...
    tbh, you're probably better off just working hard on your other exams - 89% is still an A, so if you chose to put your module grades on UCAS unis will just see it as an A. Cambridge will see that you didn't do quite as well as you hoped, but people do get into Cambridge with lower scores (ever lower average scores).
    Personally, I wouldn't retake.
    Hey thanks.. I've opted not to retake it I'll just work harder and hopefully do better in the Summer exams

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks.. I've opted not to retake it I'll just work harder and hopefully do better in the Summer exams
    Erm.. wow. You are so similar to me, I had to read your username again just to make sure it wasn't me...

I am also intending to apply for Cambridge Engineering, and I also got 99 UMS in C1! Difference is that I unfortunately got 77 UMS for C2, soI will be retaking that in Summer. However I would definitely agree with your decision and others' advice, in your circumstance, you shouldn't retake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pomtoon)
    Erm.. wow. You are so similar to me, I had to read your username again just to make sure it wasn't me...

I am also intending to apply for Cambridge Engineering, and I also got 99 UMS in C1! Difference is that I unfortunately got 77 UMS for C2, soI will be retaking that in Summer. However I would definitely agree with your decision and others' advice, in your circumstance, you shouldn't retake
    O.o that's weird :O

Yeah I think with 77 you should retake it especially as with the 99 in C1, you clearly have the potential to do much better than that

ReputationRep:
    O.o that's weird :O

Yeah I think with 77 you should retake it especially as with the 99 in C1, you clearly have the potential to do much better than that
    Yeah originally most of my teachers advised against it, so I nearly didn't hand in the form before the deadline. Fortunately I applied thinking "It's only £15 so it doesn't matter". So glad I did that now, otherwise I would be regretting it :P

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.