The Student Room Group

M2 Centre of Mass

Where is the centre of mass found on a uniform sphere of hemisphere of radius r, and on a (uniformly filled) semi-circle of radius r? What about on a circular-shaped lamina? And what about a uniformly filled triangle?

Sorry for so many questions but I really have no idea.

I seem to be choosing values that give me the wrong final centre of mass for my combined shape.
The formulas you need are in your formula book.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
The formulas you need are in your formula book.

I'm with OCR - there aren't any formulae for centre of mass anywhere in the answer book.

This is more the sort of thing I'd like to understand than get a straight-out answer to.
Original post by Big-Daddy
I'm with OCR - there aren't any formulae for centre of mass anywhere in the answer book.

This is more the sort of thing I'd like to understand than get a straight-out answer to.

Seven of them on page 6.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Seven of them on page 6.

Thank you for this. I will try and understand them more later.

I know that, if the line downwards from the centre of mass reaches the ground at a point not directly below the object, the object will no longer be in equilibrium and will fall.

However, in this question: http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/63182-question-paper-unit-4729-mechanics-2.pdf (June 2008, Mechanics 2, Q5 part ii) I am not sure what to look for. Can you have a look?
The formulas come from integration. This topic is in M3 for OCR. If you would like an introduction, try this link.
Original post by Big-Daddy
Thank you for this. I will try and understand them more later.

I know that, if the line downwards from the centre of mass reaches the ground at a point not directly below the object, the object will no longer be in equilibrium and will fall.

However, in this question: http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/63182-question-paper-unit-4729-mechanics-2.pdf (June 2008, Mechanics 2, Q5 part ii) I am not sure what to look for. Can you have a look?

The critical point is where the vertical line from the centre of mass passes through the point on the hemisphere that is in contact with the ground.

Quick Reply

Latest