Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luketg8)
    It wasn't too bad of a paper, but surely the boundaries will be lower than last year?! What do people think they will be?
    I think it depends on how the majority of people dealt with those nasty 8 mark and 7 mark questions! The 7 marker certainly threw people off and the 8 marker.. well we hadn't covered LANs connecting to the internet in that much depth, and the text book wasn't too helpful either

the grade boundaries will probably lower by about 5 marks or so, maybe more if we're lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielnkwocha)
    Refusing to check any of these posts cos they'll likely depress me, but well done peeps! This was my last exam so I am now a free man :woo:
    !!!!!! NOOO That was my first exam . Have fun dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixelfrag)
    dan for the algorithm question I wrote in pseudo code....-_-
    I wrote in pseudocode too dude. I spent so long on that! About 20 mins on the final one. I wrote the static one first -_-

ReputationRep:
    My 8 mark question went something like this:

-LAN - Linked computers in close proximity.
    -Router - A device that receives packets from routers/hosts and uses the packet's destination IP address to forward them on to another host or router.
    -Gateway - A device that connects networks using different protocols.

- The computer transmits the data to the switch over the wifi network using a network adapter. This converts the data from the format stored on the computer to the format to be transmitted.
    - The packets have a source/destination IP Address.
    - At each intermediate location, the MAC Address changes so the packets can be sent on to the next link.
    - The switch uses the packets destination IP Address and sends them on to Router 2.
    - The Router 2 uses the packets destination IP Address and sends them on to the Gateway.
    - The LAN uses different protocol to the one used by the internet, a WAN.
    - Therefore the gateway translates each LAN frame into an equivalent WAN frame.
    - The packets are transmitted to the web server via lots of different routers who use the packet's destination IP Address to forward them on to the next router.

Anyone have anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JASApplications)

-Router - A device that receives packets from routers/hosts and uses the packet's destination IP address to forward them on to another host or router.

- The computer transmits the data to the switch over the wifi network using a network adapter. This converts the data from the format stored on the computer to the format to be transmitted.
    - At each intermediate location, the MAC Address changes so the packets can be sent on to the next link.
    - The switch uses the packets destination IP Address and sends them on to Router 2.
    - The Router 2 uses the packets destination IP Address and sends them on to the Gateway.
    - The packets are transmitted to the web server via lots of different routers who use the packet's destination IP Address to forward them on to the next router.

Sounds better than what I put:
    I put definitions of WAN, LAN, router, and then went on about the packets 'hopping' between different routers before entering through port 80 on the web servers router and that the web server might have a firewall. I also put some stuff about bus and star networks and that the users LAN was segregated to reduce congestion.

Hopefully I picked up at least 3 marks for that, I would have much preferred the normal two 6/4 mark questions though

ReputationRep:
    Two questions:

What did x, y do for the Turing Machine?
    What did you put for the Recursive part of the first question?

ReputationRep:
    Two questions:

I put x indicate where to put a 1 on the tape and a y indicate where to put a 0 on the tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackykkkan)
    I put x indicate where to put a 1 on the tape and a y indicate where to put a 0 on the tape.
    I put that they send the read/write head back in the other direction but I doubt that's correct!

ReputationRep:
    I put that they send the read/write head back in the other direction but I doubt that's correct!
    I'm just guessing as well, and u might be right!

i'm only putting that because the question before for the Turing machine i got:

01#01

ReputationRep:
    For the parity bit question, the parity bit had to be a 1 because it was odd parity, but then I wasn't sure for the start bit and stop bit. I ended up putting 0 for the stop bit and 1 for the start bit. Not sure though!
    That should be fine for the start/stop bits, they can either be 0 1 or 1 0 - as long as they're different.

ReputationRep:
    I put, "x shows the location of a 0 wich has been copied over"

ReputationRep:

Wouldn't router one just send the packet directly to the gateway? I'd have thought it would know whether or not router two can deal with it (since it has a table of known IP addresses) so just passes it straight to the gateway which reforms it so its compatible with the Internet?

Two questions:

I put x and y are used to indicate when a number is currently being copied. For a 0, x is used and for a 1, y is used.
    And its defined in terms of itself, i.e. you can have more than one parameter in a parameter list.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't enjoy that paper a great deal. Got a similar answer for the linked list algorithm, also written in pseudocode (with a few extra explanations at the bottom - anyone else feel that question was too vague and poorly worded?)

For the question on relative error, I used (X-x)/x which is the relative error, but it appears what they wanted was the absolute relative error, which they didn't ask for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzbizz)
    Wouldn't router one just send the packet directly to the gateway? I'd have thought it would know whether or not router two can deal with it (since it has a table of known IP addresses) so just passes it straight to the gateway which reforms it so its compatible with the Internet?

I put x and y are used to indicate when a number is currently being copied. For a 0, x is used and for a 1, y is used.
    And its defined in terms of itself, i.e. you can have more than one parameter in a parameter list.
    Damn!
    I was so close with the x and y explanation - I just didn't point out which one corresponded to which bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silgen)
    Didn't enjoy that paper a great deal. Got a similar answer for the linked list algorithm, also written in pseudocode (with a few extra explanations at the bottom - anyone else feel that question was too vague and poorly worded?)

For the question on relative error, I used (X-x)/x which is the relative error, but it appears what they wanted was the absolute relative error, which they didn't ask for.
    Pretty mutual here. God knows what I put for the Pseudocode of the algorithm,so badly worded indeed!

Relative error was 6.9 - 6.875 = 0.025

Absolute error was 0.025/6.9 = 0.00362 ( i did this as a % is this still correct,I think it would be harsh to mark that wrong?)

For the SQL statement there was a substancial problem which was there wasn't a primary key in the Furniture table relating to the Customer table,however there was an OrderID which could be used to join it to the other table

Now im just guessing,but I believe there was more to it than you guys have thought of.

I.E

SELECT CustomerName,Address,TelephoneNu mber

FROM Furniture,Customer,CustomerOrder ,CustomerOrderItem

WHERE Product ID = 08703 (Whatever it was)
    AND
    Furniture.ProductID = CustomerOrder.ProductID
    AND
    Customer.CustomerID = CustomerOrderItem.CustomerID

(Then these had to be related finally using )

AND
    CustomerOrder.OrderID = CustomerOrderItem.OrderID
    OrderBy CustomerName ASC

Im not sure if this is the case,but the relations seemed more complex than first impressions would indicate?

Recognised it from a past paper as a more complex version of the SQL,why it was 6 marks possibly? Im really not sure though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KING2011BOB)
    Pretty mutual here. God knows what I put for the Pseudocode of the algorithm,so badly worded indeed!

Relative error was 6.9 - 6.875 = 0.025

Absolute error was 0.025/6.9 = 0.00362 ( i did this as a % is this still correct,I think it would be harsh to mark that wrong?)

For the SQL statement there was a substancial problem which was there wasn't a primary key in the Furniture table relating to the Customer table,however there was an OrderID which could be used to join it to the other table

Now im just guessing,but I believe there was more to it than you guys have thought of.

I.E

SELECT CustomerName,Address,TelephoneNu mber

FROM Furniture,Customer,CustomerOrder ,CustomerOrderItem

WHERE Product ID = 08703 (Whatever it was)
    AND
    Furniture.ProductID = CustomerOrder.ProductID
    AND
    Customer.CustomerID = CustomerOrderItem.CustomerID

(Then these had to be related finally using )

AND
    CustomerOrder.OrderID = CustomerOrderItem.OrderID
    OrderBy CustomerName ASC

Im not sure if this is the case,but the relations seemed more complex than first impressions would indicate?

Recognised it from a past paper as a more complex version of the SQL,why it was 6 marks possibly? Im really not sure though
    I didn't relate the furniture table - instead I used CustomerOrderLine.FurnitureID = 08703. I didn't think you needed the furniture table to obtain the list of customers.

I also, mistakenly, put DESC. The shame...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slash2k0)
    Our whole class got let out an hour early because everyone had finished!

I definitely messed up the recursive tree algorithm though, for some reason I just put that it returned the numbers in the leaf nodes, I didn't see how it could have returned the * and +? :/ Hopefully I'll still save some marks as I think I traced the first part ok though...
    Haha. Pissed myself when the invigilator said put down your pens and stop writing at around 4 oclock and then my mate next to me says 'already??' frantically trying to finish the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowersbros)
    Two things, not sure whether they'd pick up on it though:

The number shouldn't be within quotes.

ALPHABETICAL should be ASC.
    I noticed in the past papers they say about ignoring quotes around certain parts or absent quotes, and I think quotes around numbers didn't really matter. If you quote everything which can be quoted e.g. selecting something where it wants a name or and ID, you can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I put:
    - Routable can be used to locate a host on the internet but Non-Routable can't.
    - Routable used for internet, Non-Routable used for private network.

Not sure if that's correct though!
    I said the one about locating the host with a routable but not with a non-routable. I also done, something along the lines of routable is used in businesses more where non-routable is used at home?

I had really no idea! Probably wrong! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silgen)
    I didn't relate the furniture table - instead I used CustomerOrderLine.FurnitureID = 08703. I didn't think you needed the furniture table to obtain the list of customers.

I also, mistakenly, put DESC. The shame...
    I think that makes a lot more sense! I needed the furniture table to get the FurnitureID of my rather more complex query

But you are right,your way is a lot more simple indeed!

Ahhh well pal that will only be worth dropping 1 mark so its not that bad

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.