Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I just spent a while going through all 24 old spec CPT4 and CPT5 past papers and compiling all of the relevant questions into one document. I haven't really got time to make a mark scheme but the questions are listed under the paper headings so you can look them up - the mark schemes are on freeexampapers and xtremepapers. Some of the questions were so similar that I didn't include them twice, and there'll be the occasional Comp 2 question in there where it was bundled as part of a longer question, but I hops it's still of use to you guys.

TL;DR - 99 past paper questions here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    So I just spent a while going through all 24 old spec CPT4 and CPT5 past papers and compiling all of the relevant questions into one document. I haven't really got time to make a mark scheme but the questions are listed under the paper headings so you can look them up - the mark schemes are on freeexampapers and xtremepapers. Some of the questions were so similar that I didn't include them twice, and there'll be the occasional Comp 2 question in there where it was bundled as part of a longer question, but I hops it's still of use to you guys.

You are amazing!! More practice questions to do :bhangra:

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystogan.)
    You are amazing!! More practice questions to do :bhangra:

Thanks a lot!
    You're welcome. I'm giving myself the night off and starting them tomorrow haha.

ReputationRep:

Brilliant! Thanks very much mate!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Wow thank you so very much.

There's only three current spec past papers, so all of us need all the practice we can get

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone with the Nelson Thornes textbook explain what the TM on page 43, question 2b does please?

ReputationRep:
    The whole of section 3.2 confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for questions that are likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Wise Ninja)
    Any predictions for questions that are likely to come up?
    Yeah... There hasn't been many papers but what hasn't actually come up yet?

ReputationRep:
    Everybody, this site is amazing.

http://www.starteractivity.com/ictle...omp3index.html

Tonnes of questions.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for what might come up?

Network Adapter, Internetworking, Server Based and Web Services haven't come up from the Comms and Networks section so they could be a possibility?

I don't think Digital Signatures/Encryption will come up as there was quite a large question on it in June 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Question 9G of June 2012 - I've not come across any 'hashing' methods to do with databases?! The only hashing I know of is producing a message digest used to produce a digital signature..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzbizz)
    Question 9G of June 2012 - I've not come across any 'hashing' methods to do with databases?! The only hashing I know of is producing a message digest used to produce a digital signature..
    It's where you use a hashing function (e.g. giving each character in the data a value, and adding all the values) which will create a number that can be used as an address for the database. It makes it really quick to find where something is stored; as you just put it into the function to find the location.

Sometimes you'll get clashes where two things may result in the same location. To deal with it, you can either store in the next free space, or create a pointer that goes to a linked list. You can then just do a search in the list to find the right item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Box)
    It's where you use a hashing function (e.g. giving each character in the data a value, and adding all the values) which will create a number that can be used as an address for the database. It makes it really quick to find where something is stored; as you just put it into the function to find the location.

Sometimes you'll get clashes where two things may result in the same location. To deal with it, you can either store in the next free space, or create a pointer that goes to a linked list. You can then just do a search in the list to find the right item.
    Why is this no where in the text book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone understand what the busy beaver function is and what a subnet mask is? :/ 2 concepts that confuse me

(Original post by fizzbizz)
    Why is this no where in the text book?
    Because the author chose not to include it for some bizarre reason. There's a document on hashing on the AQA website and it's in the revision guide posted earlier on this thread

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone understand what the busy beaver function is and what a subnet mask is? :/ 2 concepts that confuse me
    Busy Beaver

The function B(n) is defined as calculating the largest number of ones an n-state Turing Machine can write on an initially empty tape and still stop. B(n) is non-computable which means no algorithm can be produced to solve it for n. Solutions can be found for small values of n, but the number of ones that are output grows extremely quickly. No solution can be found for n>=7.

Subnet Mask

The subnet mask is the computer's way of defining how many bits of an IP address represent the network portion. 255.255.255.0 (11111111.11111111.11111111.0) means that the first three octets are the network. So 192.168.1.X using that subnet mask means the X can be anything ranging from 1-255 and it will be used to represent individual devices. In the past papers the only time they have asked for a subnet mask it's always been 255.255.255.0, but here are some the the ones they'll probably ask if they pick something else:

192.168.1.0 .... 255.255.255.0 (/24)
    172.16.0.0 .... 255.255.0.0 (/16)
    10.0.0.0 .... 255.0.0.0 (/8)

I hope that clears some of it up, I can try and explain again if it didn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    http://quizlet.com/23920723/comp3-flash-cards/

You may find this useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Box)
    Busy Beaver

The function B(n) is defined as calculating the largest number of ones an n-state Turing Machine can write on an initially empty tape and still stop. B(n) is non-computable which means no algorithm can be produced to solve it for n. Solutions can be found for small values of n, but the number of ones that are output grows extremely quickly. No solution can be found for n>=7.Subnet Mask

The subnet mask is the computer's way of defining how many bits of an IP address represent the network portion. 255.255.255.0 (11111111.11111111.11111111.0) means that the first three octets are the network. So 192.168.1.X using that subnet mask means the X can be anything ranging from 1-255 and it will be used to represent individual devices. In the past papers the only time they have asked for a subnet mask it's always been 255.255.255.0, but here are some the the ones they'll probably ask if they pick something else:

192.168.1.0 .... 255.255.255.0 (/24)
    172.16.0.0 .... 255.255.0.0 (/16)
    10.0.0.0 .... 255.0.0.0 (/8)

I hope that clears some of it up, I can try and explain again if it didn't make sense.
    So in terms of the subnet mask is it basically a way of splitting up network traffic as you can define the size of different parts of the network? i.e. a subnet mask of 255.255.255.100 allowing a 99 computers in that part of the network, so a host range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99. (I thought you weren't allowed to use 0 and the upper bound in the host part of the IP address).

I've memorised the definition of the busy beaver function but have no idea how it works (even after looking on the internet)

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    So in terms of the subnet mask is it basically a way of splitting up network traffic as you can define the size of different parts of the network? i.e. a subnet mask of 255.255.255.100 allowing a 99 computers in that part of the network, so a host range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99. (I thought you weren't allowed to use 0 and the upper bound in the host part of the IP address).

I've memorised the definition of the busy beaver function but have no idea how it works (even after looking on the internet)

Thanks a lot
    Yeah, that's basically right, but for the sake of the exam I wouldn't bother going into subnets such as 255.255.255.100 (that would theoretically leave a range of 155 available addresses, though 100 cannot be one of the octets - see below). I did a networking course which involved a load of subnetting where you are given about three different networks and have to work out crazy masks for them without wasting any - it's incredibly confusing!

If you split 255.255.255.192 into the individual bits then it's 11111111.11111111.11111111.11000 000 - after the last 1 is where the hosts are identified. So if you had 255.255.255.100 that wouldn't work because the last octet would be x.x.x.01100100 which messes up the order. Valid masks are below:

.252 (.11111100)
    .248 (.11111000)
    .240 (.11110000)
    .224 (.11100000)
    .192 (.11000000)
    .128 (.10000000)
    .0 (.00000000)

Don't worry though, that's way more detail than you need to know for the exam. It sounds like you understand the principles behind it, which is all they'll ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Box)
    Yeah, that's basically right, but for the sake of the exam I wouldn't bother going into subnets such as 255.255.255.100 (that would theoretically leave a range of 155 available addresses, though 100 cannot be one of the octets - see below). I did a networking course which involved a load of subnetting where you are given about three different networks and have to work out crazy masks for them without wasting any - it's incredibly confusing!

If you split 255.255.255.192 into the individual bits then it's 11111111.11111111.11111111.11000 000 - after the last 1 is where the hosts are identified. So if you had 255.255.255.100 that wouldn't work because the last octet would be x.x.x.01100100 which messes up the order. Valid masks are below:

.252 (.11111100)
    .248 (.11111000)
    .240 (.11110000)
    .224 (.11100000)
    .192 (.11000000)
    .128 (.10000000)
    .0 (.00000000)

Don't worry though, that's way more detail than you need to know for the exam. It sounds like you understand the principles behind it, which is all they'll ask.
    Thanks a lot Starting to feel a bit more confident about this exam. Just gotta work on all the operating systems stuff.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.