Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, after results yesterday I've been trying to work out what I need in the summer for two A*s, but I'm slightly confused about what is needed for an A* and which combinations I can use!

So far, the odules I've taken and scores (UMS) are (OCR):

C1 100
    C2 99
    C3 95
    C4 88

FP1 95

S1 95
    S2 99
    M1 100
    M2 91

Taking in the summer: FP2, FP3 and D1

So I have an A* in maths A level with C3 and C4 averaging over 90, but for further maths A level, if I've got this right, it's the average of the 3 best A2 modules? So would it be possible for me to include S2 and M2 in Further Maths, and therefore only have to use one of FP2 and FP3 to get the A*? (Making it much easier as I'll only need low 80s in one of them)

Thank you in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    From what I remember, with Edexcel, the *1 modules can't count towards the A* in Further Maths. So S2 and M2 can count towards it, so you'll need to get at least 82 UMS in one of FP2 or FP3 to get an A* in Further Maths (of course assuming you get 480/600 in total in both Maths and Further).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluey569)
    Hi, after results yesterday I've been trying to work out what I need in the summer for two A*s, but I'm slightly confused about what is needed for an A* and which combinations I can use!

So far, the modules I've taken and scores (UMS) are (OCR):

C1 96
    C2 98
    C3 100
    C4 88

FP1 89

S1 100
    S2 97
    M1 100
    M2 91

Taking in the summer: FP2, FP3 and D1

So I have an A* in maths A level with C3 and C4 averaging over 90, but for further maths A level, if I've got this right, it's the average of the 3 best A2 modules? So would it be possible for me to include S2 and M2 in Further Maths, and therefore only have to use one of FP2 and FP3 to get the A*? (Making it much easier as I'll only need low 80s in one of them)

Thank you in advance for your help!
    To the part in bold, yes. As you already have 188/200, and you need 270/300, you will need at least 82 UMS in either FP2 or FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    From what I remember, with Edexcel, the *1 modules can't count towards the A* in Further Maths. So S2 and M2 can count towards it, so you'll need to get at least 82 UMS in one of FP2 or FP3 to get an A* in Further Maths (of course assuming you get 480/600 in total in both Maths and Further).
    (Original post by NJam)
    To the part in bold, yes. As you already have 188/200, and you need 270/300, you will need at least 82 UMS in either FP2 or FP3.
    Thank you both, I've struggled to find out so this was a great help!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by NJam)
    Don't you need 6 modules in maths though? My teacher suggested you could do this today, but wouldn't that mean
    C1:99 C2:98 C3:93 C4:93 S1:97 (totalling 480, but only 5 modules, 180 in C3/4)
    FP1 98 D1:95 M1: 95 S2: 100 M2 96 FP2 74 (over 480, 6 modules 270 in A2)

Would NOT be allowed because you dot have 6 modules in maths and you can't pot FP3 in maths?

Hoping im wrong!
    Another teacher also said you couldn't have a second module in FM if you don't have the first, so you couldn't have S2 in FM without S1 :confused:
    Again, really hope im wrong because m2 doesn't look that hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)

Another teacher also said you couldn't have a second module in FM if you don't have the first, so you couldn't have S2 in FM without S1 :confused:
    Again, really hope im wrong because m2 doesn't look that hard!
    This is only in A level maths

You can put what you want in FM

So the OP can put C1-4 in Maths, together with whichever 2 she wants from S1, M1, D1

Then the others in FM

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, when my maths was cached in it has M1 while my Further Maths had M2, M3, M4 and M5.

Also, I think you lost count somewhere. In his Maths A-Level he'd have C1-C4 and two of S1,S2,M1,M2,D1 (probably two out of S1,D1 and M1) while his Further Maths A-Level will have FP1-FP3 and the remaining 3 modules

ReputationRep:
    yes u have got an A* for everything....

wow ur grades are amaxing? how did u get them, i am also doing maths and further maths...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    This is only in A level maths

You can put what you want in FM

So the OP can put C1-4 in Maths, together with whichever 2 she wants from S1, M1, D1

Then the others in FM

Yes you can, when my maths was cached in it has M1 while my Further Maths had M2, M3, M4 and M5.

Also, I think you lost count somewhere. In his Maths A-Level he'd have C1-C4 and two of S1,S2,M1,M2,D1 (probably two out of S1,D1 and M1) while his Further Maths A-Level will have FP1-FP3 and the remaining 3 modules
    Ohhhh, I thought the point was that they only wanted to use one of FP3/2
    So, of S2, M2, FP2 and 3 my best three will count towards my A* in FM?

If so that's brilliant :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    yes u have got an A* for everything....

wow ur grades are amaxing? how did u get them, i am also doing maths and further maths...........
    Thanks, with a lot of hard work and practice papers!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I thought the point was that they only wanted to use one of FP3/2
    So, of S2, M2, FP2 and 3 my best three will count towards my A* in FM?

If so that's brilliant :grin:
    Best three ending in 2 or more :yes:

FP2-3
    S2-4
    M2-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Best three ending in 2 or more :yes:

FP2-3
    S2-4
    M2-5
    :gasp: I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know, I was genuinely preparing to get just the 6 UMS in M2 :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :gasp: I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know, I was genuinely preparing to get just the 6 UMS in M2 :rofl:
    6 UMS? :lolwut:

What are your further maths modules so far?

From what I remember of your A2 F.Maths modules, you need 85 in FP2 and FP3 to secure an A* (obviously you have to get 480/600 first) but if your M2 is 85 and something drastic happens with a FP module. It can be used for the A*!

ReputationRep:
    6 UMS? :lolwut:

What are your further maths modules so far?

From what I remember of your A2 F.Maths modules, you need 85 in FP2 and FP3 to secure an A* (obviously you have to get 480/600 first) but if your M2 is 85 and something drastic happens with a FP module. It can be used for the A*!
    I was assuming I'd use S2 in FM
    And then for maths I only need 480 with 180 in C3 and C4. From AS I have 294, given I met the C3&4 requirement for an A* I'd only need an extra 6 UMS from M2, of course if I get 186 in C3&4 I wouldn't need M2 at all
    Yeah that said, because I thought I only needed 6 UMS, I've done the BARE minimum so far, so I'll have to pull my socks up and learn the content.

ReputationRep:
    I was assuming I'd use S2 in FM
    And then for maths I only need 480 with 180 in C3 and C4. From AS I have 294, given I met the C3&4 requirement for an A* I'd only need an extra 6 UMS from M2, of course if I get 186 in C3&4 I wouldn't need M2 at all
    Yeah that said, because I thought I only needed 6 UMS, I've done the BARE minimum so far, so I'll have to pull my socks up and learn the content.
    So your maths is:

C1-4 M1+M2

Further Maths:
    FP1-3 S1+2 D1?

Why don't you ask them to cash it all in like this:

C1-4 S1 and M1
    FP1-3 M2, S2 and D1.

That was you increase your chances at an A* in F.Maths without hindering anything else, although this should automatically happen.

ReputationRep:
    So your maths is:

C1-4 M1+M2

Further Maths:
    FP1-3 S1+2 D1?

Why don't you ask them to cash it all in like this:

C1-4 S1 and M1
    FP1-3 M2, S2 and D1.

That was you increase your chances at an A* in F.Maths without hindering anything else, although this should automatically happen.
    It looks like that's what I'll be doing , until yesterday I didn't realise you could have a '2' without its '1' ie M2 in FM and M1 in M
    How do you ask for it to be cashed in like that? My teachers says she's seen 'them' (or the computer) make mistakes before

ReputationRep:
    It looks like that's what I'll be doing , until yesterday I didn't realise you could have a '2' without its '1' ie M2 in FM and M1 in M
    How do you ask for it to be cashed in like that? My teachers says she's seen 'them' (or the computer) make mistakes before
    Good! :nah: but you couldn't have D2 for example. As there isn't a D1 anywhere. As long as it's in any of the qualifications. And you couldn't have a 2 module in maths, and the matching 1 module in F.maths.

As far as I know, you can ask for a specific module arrangement with Edexcel.

So ask your exams officer to ask them to specifically allocate:

Mathematics A Level:
    C1-4 M1 S1

F.Mathematics A Level:
    FP1-3 M2 S2 D1

Then they'll do it for you, although in all fairness it should be done without the need for you to say. And worst case scenario is you miss the A* without automatic allocation and you contact them on results day saying to switch them and they should.

Thats unlikely though

ReputationRep:
    Good! :nah: but you couldn't have D2 for example. As there isn't a D1 anywhere. As long as it's in any of the qualifications. And you couldn't have a 2 module in maths, and the matching 1 module in F.maths.

As far as I know, you can ask for a specific module arrangement with Edexcel.

So ask your exams officer to ask them to specifically allocate:

Mathematics A Level:
    C1-4 M1 S1

F.Mathematics A Level:
    FP1-3 M2 S2 D1

Then they'll do it for you, although in all fairness it should be done without the need for you to say. And worst case scenario is you miss the A* without automatic allocation and you contact them on results day saying to switch them and they should.

Thats unlikely though
    Ahh, ok, good to know, thanks :grin:
    The annoying things is, our school doesn't tell us our UMS in June :lolwut: so if the board made a mistake it wouldn't be easy to tell :/

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, ok, good to know, thanks :grin:
    The annoying things is, our school doesn't tell us our UMS in June :lolwut: so if the board made a mistake it wouldn't be easy to tell :/
    What?! They have to give UMS!!!

Either way you'll probably get an A* in both regardless of the combination.

ReputationRep:
    What?! They have to give UMS!!!

Either way you'll probably get an A* in both regardless of the combination.
    I *think* it's evade they don't want people remarking anything and missing their university offer. So, if someone has missed their offer then the school can let you know your UMS on the day otherwise you find out in like January :rolleyes:
    They didn't give us our UMS breakdown last year just our overall score and because I was pissed about French, I demanded to know (I sound so high maintenance :lol:) everyone else found out sometime in the first term, maths people found out near te start of te year because our teachers told is.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.