Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

AS Results - Should i retake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I received my AS results and got 2 D's in Biology and Chemistry, i am really disappointed as I was hoping to get at least B's, does anybody know if it is still possible for me to get a B overall without retaking or if i should retake these two exams? However, if i retake i will have 7 exams in total in May and June.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth retaking. Doing well at AS makes life so much easier at A2, and it's defo possible to do 7 exams in June - that's what I did last year

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I would retake, to get a D the knowledge is obviously there you just need to build on it. I am retaking sociology, psychology and biology in may/June as well as all my other exams! We're just going to have to work twice as hard!
    I'm not sure if you can still get a B if you didn't retake sorry, I don't know the grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plaha123)
    I received my AS results and got 2 D's in Biology and Chemistry, i am really disappointed as I was hoping to get at least B's, does anybody know if it is still possible for me to get a B overall without retaking or if i should retake these two exams? However, if i retake i will have 7 exams in total in May and June.
    If you don't retake then you will have to try really hard in your other exams if you want to get a B. it is possible, but involves alot of work.

What exam board are you on?
    I did biology and chemistry both with OCR. A2 of chemistry I really enjoyed (I got a C overall in AS, but retook one exam to get it up to a B) and managed to get a B over all.
    Biology, I got a B in AS and retook the coursework to get it up to an A (I got A's in both if the exams) and then got a B in the overall A level. I found A2 was harder than AS in biology.
    The first lot of exams you do, for me, were the easier ones. It's just getting your head around how they want you to answer the questions.
    Go through ALL of the past papers, and you will figure out what words score marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth retaking. Doing well at AS makes life so much easier at A2, and it's defo possible to do 7 exams in June - that's what I did last year

Thanks for the advice, I have thought about retaking both of the exams but my teacher told me that the system has changed and that they now but the most recent mark forward. So if i do worse and get an E or U i am kind of stuffed.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]What exam board are you on?
    I did biology and chemistry both with OCR. A2 of chemistry I really enjoyed (I got a C overall in AS, but retook one exam to get it up to a B) and managed to get a B over all.
    Biology, I got a B in AS and retook the coursework to get it up to an A (I got A's in both if the exams) and then got a B in the overall A level. I found A2 was harder than AS in biology.
    The first lot of exams you do, for me, were the easier ones. It's just getting your head around how they want you to answer the questions.
    Go through ALL of the past papers, and you will figure out what words score marks.[QUOTE]

They were both on OCR, i know the content well it is just that i am not too good at applying my knowledge to the question, but i think now that i understand what the exam is like i should do better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronHarding123)
    I would retake, to get a D the knowledge is obviously there you just need to build on it. I am retaking sociology, psychology and biology in may/June as well as all my other exams! We're just going to have to work twice as hard!
    I'm not sure if you can still get a B if you didn't retake sorry, I don't know the grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am just worried that the work load will be too much for me, but i reckon if i work hard i will be able to get good grades. I got 52 UMS and i needed 54 UMS for a C

ReputationRep:
    I am just worried that the work load will be too much for me, but i reckon if i work hard i will be able to get good grades. I got 52 UMS and i needed 54 UMS for a C
    If you start revising now the work load will be fine, just don't leave it until the last second. I barely revised for my January exams and regret it so I've started now for the summer one's! In my sociology I was 2 UMS points off a C as well! I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get some extra work from teachers maybe, that's what I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep I would retake, 7 may sound like a lot but it will be easier than trying to lift your grade with fewer papers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely retake, I had 8 exams in my AS year because I chose to retake! It's definitely worth it now, I am on track on getting the final grades that I want with only 5 exams this year... May sound like a lot but it probably would've been a lot more if I didn't resit until this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you start revising now the work load will be fine, just don't leave it until the last second. I barely revised for my January exams and regret it so I've started now for the summer one's! In my sociology I was 2 UMS points off a C as well! I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get some extra work from teachers maybe, that's what I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah i am planning to start revising now, thanks for the advice i will retake my exams then and i will talk to my teachers. Good luck for your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadpan)
    Yep I would retake, 7 may sound like a lot but it will be easier than trying to lift your grade with fewer papers
    Okay thanks for the advice, I reckon I could do it if I start working hard now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettFierce)
    Definitely retake, I had 8 exams in my AS year because I chose to retake! It's definitely worth it now, I am on track on getting the final grades that I want with only 5 exams this year... May sound like a lot but it probably would've been a lot more if I didn't resit until this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for advice, I should be able to do a lot better if I put in the work, and good luck for your next exams

ReputationRep:
    Another problem though is that I was told by my Chemistry teacher that the system for retakes has changed and that now the most recent grade goes forward. So, if i retake my two exams and get E's and U's that counts and I will not be aloud to continue onto A2

ReputationRep:
    Definitely retake!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Another problem though is that I was told by my Chemistry teacher that the system for retakes has changed and that now the most recent grade goes forward. So, if i retake my two exams and get E's and U's that counts and I will not be aloud to continue onto A2
    I don't think this is true... look of the exam board website for more reliable information on this. I'm pretty sure they pick your best result for that exam.

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking to my head of sixth form just yesterday about this and they take your best grade. So even if you retake and completely fail they'll take your original grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking to my head of sixth form just yesterday about this and they take your best grade. So even if you retake and completely fail they'll take your original grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, that better then because when I was told that I was so worried. Thanks again for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I don't think this is true... look of the exam board website for more reliable information on this. I'm pretty sure they pick your best result for that exam.
    Okay I will check now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can't find any information about the retakes on the OCR website

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.