Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, so I think it's about time for me to confirm my choices on UCAS but I have no clue which to put as my insurance
    My A level targets are ABB and what I got at AS was CCC.
    LJMU is my firm for pharmacy which requires ABB (320 points), UClan requires ABB for pharmacy too but for Nottingham, I need either ABC or BBB for Food Science.
    So back to the question, should I pick UClan as insurance or Nottingham?? And are there high career prospects if I have a degree in Food Science do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiel8281)
    Hey all, so I think it's about time for me to confirm my choices on UCAS but I have no clue which to put as my insurance
    LJMU is my firm for pharmacy which requires ABB (320 points), UClan requires ABB for pharmacy too but for Nottingham, I need either ABC or BBB for Food Science.
    So back to the question, should I pick UClan as insurance or Nottingham?? And are there high career prospects if I have a degree in Food Science do you think?
    You still have 2 months to decide which uni's to pick as firm and insurance - you should visit al the ones you're interested in, and do more research on all of them before deciding as once you've made the decision, you can't go back on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    You still have 2 months to decide which uni's to pick as firm and insurance - you should visit al the ones you're interested in, and do more research on all of them before deciding as once you've made the decision, you can't go back on it.
    Okay I won't decide now, I've been the Jmu and UClan but not Nottingham so yeah that is a good idea to go to Nottingham.
    Its UClan's grade boundaries that worry me too- if I chose jmu and uclan and not get ABB then I won't be able to go to either will I?

ReputationRep:
    There's not much point in putting the same offer down as your firm and your insurance - if you put ABB for both and get ABB you'll end up at your firm, if you get ABC or BBB you'll end up at neither. There's no way to go to your insurance (unless their entry requirements are slightly less strict, but that's barely worth taking into account, and certainly not worth counting on).

So I'd suggest that, if you like Nottingham, you put Nottingham down as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I won't decide now, I've been the Jmu and UClan but not Nottingham so yeah that is a good idea to go to Nottingham.
    Its UClan's grade boundaries that worry me too- if I chose jmu and uclan and not get ABB then I won't be able to go to either will I?
    It depends on how many people meet the requirements for their places on that particular course. If you miss it by one grade, you still might get in. But you may not get in either, there is no definitive answer I'm afraid.

Usually you would put a higher one as your firm, and a lower offer as your insurance. However, both of the courses seem quite different from each other, so you need to think about which one you really want - look at the modules they offer and what kind of careers you can do with them

ReputationRep:
    You need to think whether you would be happy doing Food Science if you didn't get the grades for Pharmacy. Or would you rather take a year out and try again?
    Basically, would you enjoy doing Food Science for 3 years? If yes, then put it as your insurance.

Even if there aren't open days around now then you can contact the uni and ask them if you could come in for a campus tour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    There's not much point in putting the same offer down as your firm and your insurance - if you put ABB for both and get ABB you'll end up at your firm, if you get ABC or BBB you'll end up at neither. There's no way to go to your insurance (unless their entry requirements are slightly less strict, but that's barely worth taking into account, and certainly not worth counting on).

So I'd suggest that, if you like Nottingham, you put Nottingham down as your insurance.
    That's what I thought at first since they are both ABB, so That's the risk I don't know if I should take-either get in or get into none
    I haven't actually been to Nottingham yet but thanks I'll take it into account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    It depends on how many people meet the requirements for their places on that particular course. If you miss it by one grade, you still might get in. But you may not get in either, there is no definitive answer I'm afraid.

Usually you would put a higher one as your firm, and a lower offer as your insurance. However, both of the courses seem quite different from each other, so you need to think about which one you really want - look at the modules they offer and what kind of careers you can do with them
    Yeah that's the thing I worry about-take the risk or not
    True, very different aspects in science so I shall do my research soon! Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You need to think whether you would be happy doing Food Science if you didn't get the grades for Pharmacy. Or would you rather take a year out and try again?
    Basically, would you enjoy doing Food Science for 3 years? If yes, then put it as your insurance.

Even if there aren't open days around now then you can contact the uni and ask them if you could come in for a campus tour.
    I don't think I've done enough research then since I don't know much about the career prospects for food science, and wouldn't it be harder to get into Uni again if I resat another year?
    Being honest, I don't really know much about The food science course at Nottingham But I'm going on a self guided tour soon which should help me I guess?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've done enough research then since I don't know much about the career prospects for food science, and wouldn't it be harder to get into Uni again if I resat another year?
    Being honest, I don't really know much about The food science course at Nottingham But I'm going on a self guided tour soon which should help me I guess?
    Don't put something as your insurance that you know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely a good idea to research the subject before you commit to it. A self-guided tour is useful to get a feel for the university and the campus (Nottingham has a very beautiful campus), but it doesn't really tell you very much about the course.

If you can get onto a department visit day, that would be ideal, but at least contact the department and ask if there's any chance they could have somebody speak to you or show you around the department on the day of your self-guided tour. You'll be surprised how helpful and accommodating they can be.

If you do decide to do an extra year, it won't affect your application as badly as people like to tell you. As a reapplicant myself, I've found myself getting offers identical to (or one grade higher than) the offers I received last year. All the universities I contacted before applying (which included Nottingham) said that being a reapplicant wouldn't affect my application.

Of course, it's far from an ideal situation, but if you think it's the best way to get onto the course you're passionate about, then by all means go for it. It's really not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Don't put something as your insurance that you know nothing about.
    Okay yep I'm definitely not gonna decide now on UCAS and definitely means I need to do research

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    It's definitely a good idea to research the subject before you commit to it. A self-guided tour is useful to get a feel for the university and the campus (Nottingham has a very beautiful campus), but it doesn't really tell you very much about the course.

If you can get onto a department visit day, that would be ideal, but at least contact the department and ask if there's any chance they could have somebody speak to you or show you around the department on the day of your self-guided tour. You'll be surprised how helpful and accommodating they can be.

If you do decide to do an extra year, it won't affect your application as badly as people like to tell you. As a reapplicant myself, I've found myself getting offers identical to (or one grade higher than) the offers I received last year. All the universities I contacted before applying (which included Nottingham) said that being a reapplicant wouldn't affect my application.

Of course, it's far from an ideal situation, but if you think it's the best way to get onto the course you're passionate about, then by all means go for it. It's really not that bad.
    This is great thanks! I really do need to rethink the future!
    I have recently emailed them about seeing the department on my tour so I'm waiting on that reply.
    Oh right I had no idea, I guess it's not end of the world if I don't get in.
    I do really want to study pharmacy it was just that when I applied for pharmacy for Nottingham, instead of pharmacy they offered me an alternative course which was the food science which I didn't really know what it consisted of at the time

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.