Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Physics at Imperial, Manchester and Royal Holloway Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    I applied for a Physics course at Imperial College, Manchester and Royal Holloway, and was accepted in the three of them.
    I don't know what to choose:
    • Royal Holloway is the most beautiful, looks quiet, very familiar, but it doens't have a reputation as the other two. The department being small is a god or bad thing?
    • Imperial is the most known, at least outside the Uk. It is the best from the 3 of them in all the rankings when it comes to physics. On the other hand, London is more expensive than Manchester. And I heard that London can be a bit tiring. And I heard there are not many female physics students here. Do you consider this a problem (for me, a girl)?
    • Manchester has the biggest Physics department in the Uk, and it has quite a lot of Nobel prizes. It looks like it is the best when it comes to the university facilities. And it is cheaper.
    What should I take into account to make the right decision? In terms of teaching and research which university is the best one? And what about the life there? Is it good to live in London as a student at Imperial? Is Manchester a good city to live in? And how is life at Royal Holloway like? How are the students in each of these universities? Are they very competitiv?...

Can anyone give me a piece of advice? I know It's a lot to answer, butyou know: I want to make the best decision!
    Thanks! I really need help to decide...

ReputationRep:
    Go to Imperial

You probably wont be the happiest there; but that's not the idea

Go to where will look best on your CV

ReputationRep:
    Where would you think I'd be the happiest?
    Why not at Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to disagree with madfish here. I think it's actually very important to be happy where you go. This isn't a one year course you're doing. This will be 3/4 years of your life. 3/4 years will most people will often quote as the best years of their life.

If you do end up going somewhere you don't think you'll be happy (whether it be Imperial or otherwise) then that will eventually reflect in your grades. A 2:1 or a 1st from a not very well known university is always going to look better than a 2:2 or a 3rd from a very well known university. In this case both Manchester and Royal Holloway are fairly well known in themselves anyway.

But indeed Imperial may be the one you find yourself happiest at of the three. I assume you've gone to all the open days and you've seen the inside of the departments. Each course is going to be slightly different, each department will have its own support structure, and ways they deal with placements if that is something you're interested in. Everybody has different things that are most important to them which is what you have to focus on looking for. Imperial you may love because it is in London, you may hate it because it is in London. Manchester will definitely be cheaper if you are surviving on loans and not much else. Also you have to consider what you want to do once you graduate. If like most Physicists you want to go into research you may want to stay in the department you did your undergraduate at because you like the research they do the most.

Unfortunately I've only spent a couple of days at those unis so I can't help you much with the specifics of them. I did my undergraduate degree at Surrey. It's not as well known as some of the other universities I was accepted to but it's definitely the one that I think suited me the most and now I've graduated I'm so happy I did choose to go to Surrey, I feel I managed to get a high grade in my degree and have a bloody blast while doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varios)
    Hey there!
    I applied for a Physics course at Imperial College, Manchester and Royal Holloway, and was accepted in the three of them.
    I don't know what to choose:
    • Royal Holloway is the most beautiful, looks quiet, very familiar, but it doens't have a reputation as the other two. The department being small is a god or bad thing?
    • Imperial is the most known, at least outside the Uk. It is the best from the 3 of them in all the rankings when it comes to physics. On the other hand, London is more expensive than Manchester. And I heard that London can be a bit tiring. And I heard there are not many female physics students here. Do you consider this a problem (for me, a girl)?
    • Manchester has the biggest Physics department in the Uk, and it has quite a lot of Nobel prizes. It looks like it is the best when it comes to the university facilities. And it is cheaper.
    What should I take into account to make the right decision? In terms of teaching and research which university is the best one? And what about the life there? Is it good to live in London as a student at Imperial? Is Manchester a good city to live in? And how is life at Royal Holloway like? How are the students in each of these universities? Are they very competitiv?...

Can anyone give me a piece of advice? I know It's a lot to answer, butyou know: I want to make the best decision!
    Thanks! I really need help to decide...
    There's something weird when people discuss Imperial on TSR.

Some blokes are put off because there aren't many girls so naturally you'd think girls would love it there but somehow you (as a girl) are actually concerned about this!

London is a big city and can be daunting for some who are not used to the urban lifestyle. However once settled in (and with Imperial's workload) it'll be the least of your worries!

The workload is probably the most of all universities but you'll reap the benefits later because you'll be valued highly.

As for Nobel Prizewinners at Manchester, how is that of benefit to you as an undergraduate? If you were doing research, that's different.

Royal Holloway's in the middle of nowhere (though you'll constantly hear the sound of planes flying by as it's near Heathrow)!

You should only choose between Imperial and Manchester.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.