Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How can I make like £300 to buy a new laptop? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I REALLY need a new laptop but I have NO money! I'm in sixth form and there's no jobs where I live so that's not an option...
    I have some things that I could maybe sell e.g. old phones and I have a DVD player I've never even used. I was thinking something like ebay but I don't understand ebay plus I'm I'm 17 not 18...
    I can also bake cakes, buns, buiscuits ect. and I know people have bake sales but how do you actually do this??

Please suggest ways I can make money?? I REALLY need a new laptop :/

ReputationRep:
    Get your parents too sign-up for eBay and ask them if you sell your items on their account.

As for getting a job... Yeah! I completely understand about jobs not being around but have you tried they newsagents to be a paper boy?

And, a bake sale is all about location so if you don't have the location then...

You'll have to save up! So, that means no unnecessary spending! Keeping money aside and not using it all apart from for a laptop!

That's the only way!

Jesse

ReputationRep:
    There is no magical way to earn money. If so we'd all be doing it. Just use some common sense and hopefully you'll scrape up some cash.

You say "new" laptop, so does that mean you have a older laptop now? If the reason you want a new one is the current one isn't functioning properly it would be a good idea to repair it.

If you would like help give me a shout (BSc Computing student here!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronMurray)
    There is no magical way to earn money. If so we'd all be doing it. Just use some common sense and hopefully you'll scrape up some cash.

You say "new" laptop, so does that mean you have a older laptop now? If the reason you want a new one is the current one isn't functioning properly it would be a good idea to repair it.

If you would like help give me a shout (BSc Computing student here!)
    I have a laptop now yeah but it keeps getting random things wrong with it e.g. keys typing different letters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyLisa)
    I have a laptop now yeah but it keeps getting random things wrong with it e.g. keys typing different letters
    Do you think that is damage to the keyboard?

If this is your sole issue, you don't need a new laptop.

If the issue is the keyboard they are usually easy to replace and if its software even easier.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I REALLY need a new laptop but I have NO money! I'm in sixth form and there's no jobs where I live so that's not an option...
    I have some things that I could maybe sell e.g. old phones and I have a DVD player I've never even used. I was thinking something like ebay but I don't understand ebay plus I'm I'm 17 not 18...
    I can also bake cakes, buns, buiscuits ect. and I know people have bake sales but how do you actually do this??

If your parent's are earning below a certain amount, you ask your 6th form for support, they give cheques............not sure if it applies for 6th form but I recall at secondary they give vouchers for pcworld or something if your parents earn below a certain amount.

ReputationRep:

are you 18 yet, if so then look at card counting

ReputationRep:
    It's a long shot, but since you're interested in computing ask the network manager at your school if they need extra staff over the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Why not buy a second hand one on ebay? They work just as well (if not better) and you'll have it delivered to your door. And it's be like a third (or less even) of the price.

Some cheap examples I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Dell...item460a03b85f

Only
    £99 and fully working, and it's pink You would save yourself £200. It also has wifi.

other example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-METALL...item4abb3c7d38

fully working again, only
    £124.99.

another good example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-LAPT...item3372ab7685

fully working again, only
    £149.99, you'd save yourself £150, and the delivery is free.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe when you say there is no jobs in your area.

There are always jobs around just not necessarily ones you really want to do. McDonalds is practically always hiring for example. Being a waiter is also pretty easy to find.

ReputationRep:
    if you can't find any jobs where you live, try and make some online!

ReputationRep:
    i doubt old phones/dvd players would make you much on ebay but its worth a try also just fib on the form, everyone does :rolleyes: its a damn stupid rule anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Can you take the keys off and clip them back on again- I had something stuck under a key on my keyboard causing that key to type random crap- removing it and cleaning it helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    i doubt old phones/dvd players would make you much on ebay but its worth a try also just fib on the form, everyone does :rolleyes: its a damn stupid rule anyway.
    Apart from when you have t verify your account with a bank account- as OP isn't 18, he won't have a full bank account. So thats a none starter right there.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest matched betting, but there are two snags.

1) you need to be 18
    2) you need to have money available (around the £300+ mark) if you want to make £300 in a few months :holmes:

Otherwise it would be genius. I made £53 this week for nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitsandbows)
    Apart from when you have t verify your account with a bank account- as OP isn't 18, he won't have a full bank account. So thats a none starter right there.
    Nope you don't have to on PayPal... I've been buying/selling on eBay since I was 13. Plus even if you did have to verify your account with bank details that's simple because anyone can get a debit card account and no PayPal cannot see your real age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitsandbows)
    Well seeing as when i got it at 16 and it verified it just fine i beg to differ...
    Plus youre under no obligation to verify it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.