Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So, now I've chosen the go to Cali, I have the dilemma of choosing halls! The thing is, I'm gonna be 19 in the summer and on the Cali Court page it says they prioritise for people under 19 by September?

I've been looking into the UNITE Buchanan View halls. They seem much nicer and all en-suite which is a plus! Does anyone know much about them...I had a little go through the booking form and I see you can pick if you want to share with other first years (which I do). I'd have thought many people who go there are from Cali anyway as it's literally next to the uni?

Does anything know anything about Buchanan View? Also, where are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I don't stay in Buchanan View but its beside the uni and is really easy to get to. However from the times I have stayed there or went there after a heavy night out the walk home can seem to go for miles but that's probably because the combination of drugs and drink put me in a vegetative state.

The accommodation is a mix between Caley and Strathclyde students and everybody drinks and gets on together.

As the accommodation is in the city centre there is little transport costs to consider and there is a vast amount of jobs available

I'm going to Caley next year but hoping to rent out a flat with the lads instead of student accommodation but not 100% certain yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JATS)
    I don't stay in Buchanan View but its beside the uni and is really easy to get to. However from the times I have stayed there or went there after a heavy night out the walk home can seem to go for miles but that's probably because the combination of drugs and drink put me in a vegetative state.

The accommodation is a mix between Caley and Strathclyde students and everybody drinks and gets on together.

As the accommodation is in the city centre there is little transport costs to consider and there is a vast amount of jobs available

I'm going to Caley next year but hoping to rent out a flat with the lads instead of student accommodation but not 100% certain yet.
    Yeah, Buchanan View looks really nice but there's some pretty bad reviews. I've also had a look at Victoria Halls which look pretty nice - they're also right next to Buchanan and Caley Court...do you know anything about them?

My main concern is being put in a flat with a bunch of people a lot older than me and don't go to Caley. On the application form for Victoria they ask you what uni you're going to so I think they base who you're with more on that.

ReputationRep:
    Victoria Halls is less central than both Buchanan view and Caledonian court, and is about a 10-15 minute walk to the uni. In my opinion Victoria halls is not as good as the area it is in is not a food as the other two. Also if you are stumbling home from a night out you have to go through an tunnel under a road which is sometimes dodgy at night even though they have attempted to brighten the place up. How ever it a decent standard of accommodation

Its quite likely they want to know what uni your are in so they can match you in a flat with other caley students or to know where to contact you in an emergency.

In caledonian court they prioritise people 19 years old and younger so as you are 19 you would be the same age as most people. Also don't worry about meeting new people because most people in student accommodation are new to Glasgow and know absolutely nobody and the age range is only 17-23 and everybody share the a common inetrest - Drink

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I`m Noor (27yrs old) from IRAQ and I will be in Caley in September for postgraduate study.
    I heard that in Caledonian court the priority is for international student and student under 19 of age.
    I would like to ask if anyone has been lived or have any idea about the caley court and how the place there as I need a calm and nice place to live and study.
    Any information will be helpful to me..

ReputationRep:
    Cant say for sure as the new students each year change. However overall it has good study areas and the campus is close so you can also study in the library until whenever without worrying about getting home. Finally the place is usually tidy and everybody gets on well as they are all there for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, just wanted to say that I think the person before might have been thinking about a different Victoria halls possibly? Because they are right next to Buchanan view, like about a 30 second walk, and about a minutes walk from caley court hope that helps, also I stayed there last year and am considering booking again for this year coming so if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    I've finished my first year at Cali and I stayed at Buchanan View. It wasn't too bad and the flats are much, much nicer than Cali Court. I didn't share any interests with my flat mates, which made living there kinda boring but I was lucky to find other people in the building who did.

The only thing I hated about it was that the tenancy didn't expire until July...and I finished at the beginning of April since first years don't have exams, so I pretty much paid for three months that I wasn't there - £1500 pounds wasted.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be staying in the Caledonian Court, mostly because it seemed like the most simple option since I'm an international student c: I got an offer straight away and will be moving in on 7 September. I just hope I'll have some shared interests with my flatmates.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.