Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    When applying for university I said I was studying higher English and was sitting the exam in May, and I now have an unconditional for Edinburgh uni. However i hate English and I can't be bothered doing it so I want to drop it. If I drop it do I need to let UCAS know and if I do does that mean Edinburgh have to reconsider my application all over again and my offer could be withdrawn?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    An unconditional means that you are in under any conditions. No matter how good or bad you do, you've still got a place. If you wanted to drop English then it wouldn't affect the application as you've already made it into Edinburgh. Well done
    :lies:

An unconditional is only valid if the information stated on your UCAS form stays the same. So you can do badly in a subject, but you can't drop it. If you do drop it the Uni has the right to change or amend the offer

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    An unconditional means that you are in under any conditions. No matter how good or bad you do, you've still got a place. If you wanted to drop English then it wouldn't affect the application as you've already made it into Edinburgh. Well done
    Wrong.

As the poster above has stated, it is only valid under what it is written on the UCAS form - that the OP is going to take English in the summer.

OP, just go into the English exam and score 0, that will be fine, but you can't drop it.

ReputationRep:
    I would presume that it should be fine but i would definitely call UCAS and ask the university if it is fine to do so.
    The last thing you want to do is risk jeopardising your offer, so double check with the university first before doing anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenAll)
    OP, just go into the English exam and score 0, that will be fine, but you can't drop it.
    One way to do it Or check with the uni before you drop the subject, and get it in writing that they're OK with you doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, I retract my statement, I didn't realize this was the case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl1.)
    When applying for university I said I was studying higher English and was sitting the exam in May, and I now have an unconditional for Edinburgh uni. However i hate English and I can't be bothered doing it so I want to drop it. If I drop it do I need to let UCAS know and if I do does that mean Edinburgh have to reconsider my application all over again and my offer could be withdrawn?
    op, as there seems to be some doubt about whether you can or cannot drop it why not just do it? just bunk all the lessons, do the bare minimum and get a U?

Alternatively, contact edinburgh and ask the admissions tutor if they would have a problem with you dropping english?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    op, as there seems to be some doubt about whether you can or cannot drop it why not just do it? just bunk all the lessons, do the bare minimum and get a U?

Alternatively, contact edinburgh and ask the admissions tutor if they would have a problem with you dropping english?

Good luck
    I think I might phone them because I haven't been doing any work in English and my teacher says he won't put me forward for the exam if I don't start making an effort. Which is annoying because I know he won't reason with me and understand I just have to sit it and I don't care if I pass. Also I would rather not have a fail on my certificate

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.