Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey so as the title suggests I was considering doing an MEng in Chemical Engineering at University. Would it then be possible to do the GDL and get into a top Law firm?

I was thinking that this route would give me more options and may give me more skills making me stand out?

What are peoples thoughts? Is this a viable option? Would I be advantaged / disadvantaged over Law Graduates or people that have graduated in an Arts subject such as History/ Economics etc?

Thankyou for any help in advance

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends. If you have a really good reason as to why you decided to move to law from Chem Eng, and you can articulate how your degree will help make you a good lawyer, then you would likely have as good a shot as most. There are many firms, particularly those with Life Sciences practices, that have recruited trainees with science degree backgrounds (eg Covington and Burling) but, of course, a science degree doesn't guarantee you a place at any if these firms- you would still have to earn it. I would advise that you make your degree decisions for the right reasons, not just to help you stand out, but you will most probably stand out from the law/English/history/politics/languages etc students that tend to make up most applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maghreblover)
    I suppose it depends. If you have a really good reason as to why you decided to move to law from Chem Eng, and you can articulate how your degree will help make you a good lawyer, then you would likely have as good a shot as most. There are many firms, particularly those with Life Sciences practices, that have recruited trainees with science degree backgrounds (eg Covington and Burling) but, of course, a science degree doesn't guarantee you a place at any if these firms- you would still have to earn it. I would advise that you make your degree decisions for the right reasons, not just to help you stand out, but you will most probably stand out from the law/English/history/politics/languages etc students that tend to make up most applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was thinking that the analytical, problem solving skills, and the precise attention to detail gained through and engineering degree may help become a good lawyer?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    I was thinking that the analytical, problem solving skills, and the precise attention to detail gained through and engineering degree may help become a good lawyer?
    It's kind of asssumed prospective lawyers have those skills regardless of their backgrounds, they are skills most reasonably rigorous university courses help to develop and are essentials for practising Law, along with being able to express yourself clearly, write concisely etc..

The only major advantage I can think of would be if a firm regularly has work come in which a knowledge of Chem Eng would or, if you want to go in house later on, actually works in that sector, but I don't think it would give you any significant advantage over any other grad with X solid academic degree from Y pretty decent uni.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.