Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR (Not MEI) A2 Further Maths Modules. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just had a question about what modules the A2 Further Maths comprises of.

FP2 is mandatory for the further maths A2 right? And can M2, D2 and FP2 make up my A2 Further Maths modules? Also, I need an average of 90% on theses modules for an A*?

And for Maths, I need 80% over the 6 modules and 90% over C3 and C4?

I know this may have been discussed before but I just wanted to check.

ReputationRep:
    Refer to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...matics_A_Level
    Where the answer is:
    FP2 is mandatory. Yes those are A2 units. Yes an average of 90% across your three A2 modules, which doesn't have to include FP2 if you happen to have another A2 unit stashed away?
    That is correct for maths. You need 480/600 UMS with 180 coming from C3 and C4. i.e 80% overall with 90% in C3 & C4 as you said.

ReputationRep:
    The full list of A2 units for OCR (Not MEI) is:
    C3 & C4 - Which can obviously only be included in normal Maths.
    FP2 - Required for Further A2 Maths
    Other modules: FP3, M2, M3, M4, S2, S3, S4 and don't forget D2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willfowler)
    Refer to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...matics_A_Level
    Where the answer is:
    FP2 is mandatory. Yes those are A2 units. Yes an average of 90% across your three A2 modules, which doesn't have to include FP2 if you happen to have another A2 unit stashed away?
    That is correct for maths. You need 480/600 UMS with 180 coming from C3 and C4.
    Thanks for clarifying
    But a question, if FP2 is mandatory, why doesn't the 90% in A2 modules have to include fp2?
    My situation is that I have D2 and M2 which I have 96 and 89 in, I have been registered for an FP2 and FP3 exam in the summer, but I need 85 in FP2 for an A* in Further maths correct? Is it worth taking the FP3 when FP2 is mandatory anyway?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    FP2 isn't mandatory. One of FP2 or FP3 is.

ReputationRep:
    As said above. I'm pretty sure it's ONE of FP2/3 that is mandatory.

As they are individual and do not build upon each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    FP2 isn't mandatory. One of FP2 or FP3 is.
    Ahh okay, so it'd be worth taking both exams to see what I get better in, even though I only need one of them.

Is it true the exam board organises the modules so that you get the highest grade with the lowest marks possible? I suppose we can't tell them how to arrange the modules right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h2shin)
    Ahh okay, so it'd be worth taking both exams to see what I get better in, even though I only need one of them.

Is it true the exam board organises the modules so that you get the highest grade with the lowest marks possible? I suppose we can't tell them how to arrange the modules right?
    The highest grade in maths with the lowest marks is arranged first and the remaining modules end up in FM. Aggregration is done automatically by computer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I realise this is an old thread but was wondering if something could be clarified. Last year I sat C1 C2 FP1 M1 S1 and D1-> I got over 90 in all modules but S1 went into my normal maths as it was the highest applied module. This year I am sitting FP2 FP3 C3 C4 S2 and had M2 on Wednesday. I don't feel M2 went particularly well and that I have a much better chance of getting over 90 in S2, to have a chance of getting an A* in further maths. Since M1 was placed in my further maths last year by default, and if I did not certificate and do not have any AS level certificates, can S2 still go into my further maths this year (so could S1 swap out of my normal maths into further) on results day (I.e. I will have no need to rearrange my modules?) Any help would be much appreciated thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBBrown)
    Hi I realise this is an old thread but was wondering if something could be clarified. Last year I sat C1 C2 FP1 M1 S1 and D1-> I got over 90 in all modules but S1 went into my normal maths as it was the highest applied module. This year I am sitting FP2 FP3 C3 C4 S2 and had M2 on Wednesday. I don't feel M2 went particularly well and that I have a much better chance of getting over 90 in S2, to have a chance of getting an A* in further maths. Since M1 was placed in my further maths last year by default, and if I did not certificate and do not have any AS level certificates, can S2 still go into my further maths this year (so could S1 swap out of my normal maths into further) on results day (I.e. I will have no need to rearrange my modules?) Any help would be much appreciated thank you!
    I suspect your modules were certificated at AS for funding reasons. The fact you say S1 went into your normal maths backs this up.

It's not a problem so long as your exams officer re-certificated AS maths and further maths along with A2. If your school/college knows what they are doing they will have done this automatically.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.