Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I browse the web, looking to find a good place to start programming and I just get completely baffled by some of the stuff I find.
    I can't help but think I am not good enough for University and am seriously concerned that I won't be able to do well, not to mention working life if I graduate. I just can't see myself going to Uni and actually working in a professional environment. My maths skills aren't too good either.

My questions are basically these:
    What is the Computer Science degree like? What is Uni like? How demanding is it and how demanding is the course?
    Do you get lots of support in regards to getting employed after you graduate?
    Is there anything I can do now to make the course easier? i.e learn programming.
    Any help at all will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi Steven, first off, welcome to TSR!

Don't worry about being baffled by code you see online right now - the university you go to will teach everything you need to know from scratch.

When I was visiting departments on open days, they stated that they didn't care for Computer Science A levels, because they would teach everything useful from those courses in the first couple of weeks (and more), and you'd be better off without the bad habits.

In some cases they actually actively disliked CS A level.

If you want to try your hand though, have a look at www.udacity.com - I took CS101, which was a great introduction to Python, and it really is an introduction, builds up right from basics.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.