Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Basically, a few things have lead up to me being quite a paranoid person about how people see me etc, and it's starting to really get on my nerves. I hate people telling me I've done wrong or being told off etc, even if I completely understand that it's necessary and I deserve it and whatnot, I just can't stop myself getting upset over it.

I hate people being disappointed in me and whenever someone is I literally try the best I can to stop myself from crying but I can't lol it's so annoying. I don't feel sad I just can't help crying/being upset/stressed over it.

Any advice how I can stop myself from getting upset over stupid things?

Thankssssssssss. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yoga.

ReputationRep:
    You could try Chi: "The circulating life energy that in Chinese philosophy is thought to be inherent in all things; in traditional Chinese medicine the balance of negative and positive forms in the body is believed to be essential for good health"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.BrownBear)
    Yoga.
    Yeahthis, meditating can help things like this.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    Basically, a few things have lead up to me being quite a paranoid person about how people see me etc, and it's starting to really get on my nerves. I hate people telling me I've done wrong or being told off etc, even if I completely understand that it's necessary and I deserve it and whatnot, I just can't stop myself getting upset over it.

I hate people being disappointed in me and whenever someone is I literally try the best I can to stop myself from crying but I can't lol it's so annoying. I don't feel sad I just can't help crying/being upset/stressed over it.

You need some lovin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geesebewithyou)
    disclaimerope this helps, if any of it seems ridiculous, then you're free to ignore it!

you could suffering from anxiety, depends, have you been feeling like this for months or just a bad week?
    here's a good advice article http://www.thesite.org/healthandwell...xietyandstress
    I would advise going to see your doctor and describing your symptoms, because if you do have some form of anxiety then you'd be asking a lot, maybe too much of yourself to just 'man up' without getting any help.

you say that a few things have led you to be paranoid, and you're probably right. I know it was like that for me. Talking about whatever is on your mind with someone who understands, and allowing yourself to cry sometimes can really help. Counselling may seem like a scary or radical idea but it's not just for 'mad' people at all. Everyone will need some help in their lives, so I'm just saying that getting professional help could be an option. Sure, the internet is full of 'gadgets' that are supposed to relieve stress, but they're most likely seeking to make money out of you, and if your stress is caused by an upseting event that happened to you, it's unlikely that a gadget will help as much as doing something to get over what happened to you will.

That being said, breathing techniques, exercise (yeah yoga is good) and popping bubble wrap actally do help relieve stress.
    And don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone gets upset sometimes!
    This helped a lot haha I'm not ignoring any of it!

I have considered that but kind of brushed it off I guess through denial. I have an issue with talking to people about it because I don't want to feel like I'm being a pain/whining. I do let myself cry sometimes it's just so embarrassing in public, like I've cried at work before and it's so unprofessional and I just hate it so much.

I've tried the breathing and I try to calm down and focus on not taking it so harshly but I just can't stop myself getting upset it's horrible.

I may try yoga, something I've never done before. Worth a try I guess.

Thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinFish)
    You need some lovin'
    Thing is I'm in a really happy relationship and otherwise I'm happy, it's just disappointing people that gets me down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    Thing is I'm in a really happy relationship and otherwise I'm happy, it's just disappointing people that gets me down.
    It's all perfection until you want something. Do you think about whether what you want is within your control ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    It's all perfection until you want something. Do you think about whether what you want is within your control ?
    Sorry I don't really understand what you're asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    Sorry I don't really understand what you're asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how much of your life do you think is within your control ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    how much of your life do you think is within your control ?
    A fair bit I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm like this as well. I'm such a perfectionist and HATE doing anything wrong. The best thing for me is recognising when I'm thinking something irrational. I suppose it's kind of like self-CBT. For example, I answer something wrong in a lesson. In my head, my thoughts are saying 'I'm stupid, should never try to answer questions, everyone is laughing at me, I'm useless' etc. I recognise that I'm thinking like this, so I dispute it. I change my thoughts consciously to 'everyone gets things wrong sometimes, you are the only person thinking like this, it doesn't matter because now you know the answer and won't make the same mistake' and honestly it works for me. Now, if this happens, sometimes I get the negative thoughts, but then almost immediately they will automatically change to the positive ones. Try reading up a bit on CBT (REBT in particular) and see if you can apply it yourself

ReputationRep:
    I think the paranoia is probably associated with social anxiety.

It could just be that you're very sensitive and that's not a bad thing at all, it just means you're more in touch with your environment than others.

http://www.hsperson.com/

It's something you can't control, I have the same problem. You'll learn in good time, how to control your emotions become stronger as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holz888)
    Yeah I'm like this as well. I'm such a perfectionist and HATE doing anything wrong. The best thing for me is recognising when I'm thinking something irrational. I suppose it's kind of like self-CBT. For example, I answer something wrong in a lesson. In my head, my thoughts are saying 'I'm stupid, should never try to answer questions, everyone is laughing at me, I'm useless' etc. I recognise that I'm thinking like this, so I dispute it. I change my thoughts consciously to 'everyone gets things wrong sometimes, you are the only person thinking like this, it doesn't matter because now you know the answer and won't make the same mistake' and honestly it works for me. Now, if this happens, sometimes I get the negative thoughts, but then almost immediately they will automatically change to the positive ones. Try reading up a bit on CBT (REBT in particular) and see if you can apply it yourself
    Just described me haha!

Thank you.

(Original post by Thebreeze8)
    I think the paranoia is probably associated with social anxiety.

It could just be that you're very sensitive and that's not a bad thing at all, it just means you're more in touch with your environment than others.

http://www.hsperson.com/

It's something you can't control, I have the same problem. You'll learn in good time, how to control your emotions become stronger as a person.
    I think so too. Glad to see it's not completely abnormal.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    Just described me haha!

Thank you.

..what

I think so too. Glad to see it's not completely abnormal.

Thank you.

No no. You're welcome.

I made a highly sensitive person group and found there were more people out there like me. Some were even more sensitive than me, I know one girl who couldn't cope with high school and ended up being home schooled as she kept on coming home and bursting into tears after something little that someone said. I just think it can be easily misunderstood as being weak or attention seeking, but it's something else. More biological related and dependent upon the environment.

Even so, I don't think someone should label themselves as highly sensitive and become more sensitive, some are just more sensitive than others and people should understand that.

Personally, I think of it as a gift

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...hly-sensitive/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thebreeze8)
    No no. You're welcome.

I made a highly sensitive person group and found there were more people out there like me. Some were even more sensitive than me, I know one girl who couldn't cope with high school and ended up being home schooled as she kept on coming home and bursting into tears after something little that someone said. I just think it can be easily misunderstood as being weak or attention seeking, but it's something else. More biological related and dependent upon the environment.

Even so, I don't think someone should label themselves as highly sensitive and become more sensitive, some are just more sensitive than others and people should understand that.

Personally, I think of it as a gift

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...hly-sensitive/
    I understand. I'm not that bad, it's just confrontation of any sort that I find upsetting and feel really disappointed in myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)

There isn't really anything wrong with crying you know, it's a great release. Often people can think more clearly about things after a damn good cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There isn't really anything wrong with crying you know, it's a great release. Often people can think more clearly about things after a damn good cry.
    I often think the same, it's just I'd rather not in public/in front of the people I work with/at school, it's really embarrassing and totally out of character for me.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.