Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi and Bin Laden Watch

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    Gaddafi faced a grizzly and inhumane death though that's what you get when you've been oppressing your own people for decades. And Saddam was tried.
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Gadaffai - Killed by his own people, not us. He wasn't popular man amongst other Libyans.
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Gadaffi should have been put on trial but if your going to butch your populace you cannot expect them to react rationally when they find you.
    :lolwut:

I'm afraid you've fallen victim to the anti Gadaffi news wave. These statements are so wrong it's painful.

Be aware that I do not make this post lightly.

On the side note of the 'is Bin Laden dead!' craze, I think the safest assurance you can have that he is dead is simple: Imagine the bad press if he turned up alive. Not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    Not really. Bin Laden so had it coming and I was happy when the Americans blew his brains apart. After killing almost 3000 innocent American lives, he had to be put down. No doubt had we Brits cornered, we would've locked him up in one of our luxurious cells with a TV and Xbox ready :rolleyes:

Gaddafi faced a grizzly and inhumane death though that's what you get when you've been oppressing your own people for decades. And Saddam was tried.
    It wasnt gaddafis fault that eastern tribes didnt like it for overthrowing the king. It wasnt gaddafis fault that Al Qaeda didnt like him. Gaddafi over saw alot of Development in Libya and was popular in Bani Walid and his home town. NATO basically bombed his convoy when he was a threat to no one and helped rebels kill people in his home town

Libya today is a mess with political power depending on how many guns you own

On the wider issue, Saddam did get a Trial. The US already interrogated him when he was in Custody. OBL shouldve got a trial but was understandable they wanted to kill him but if they had the chance should have given him a trial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Imagine the bad press if he turned up alive. Not worth the risk.
    Can you imagine if he suddenly appeared on the news, alive?
    Wow... the US army (as well as the US) credibility will be up in smokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    I don't know anything. However, the evidence that he is dead greatly outweighs the evidence that he is alive.
    I agree with you there, However there is no rock hard evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm afraid you've fallen victim to the anti Gadaffi news wave. These statements are so wrong it's painful.

On the side note of the 'is Bin Laden dead!' craze, I think the safest assurance you can have that he is dead is simple: Imagine the bad press if he turned up alive. Not worth the risk.
    And what anti gadaffi news would that that be?
    gadaffi was only in power due to his tribal connections. His tribe was a minority out there.

ReputationRep:
    Shag, marry, avoid?

I'd probably avoid bin laden, shag Saddam and marry gaddafi. No homo.

On a side note, I've seen the video of Saddam being hung?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Good for your but given that the UN documented plenty of abuses by Gadaffi I'm pretty confident he was butchering his populace.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Good for your
    Nasty tone bit uncalled for, but whatever.

but given that the UN documented plenty of abuses by Gadaffi I'm pretty confident he was butchering his populace.

This same UN that documented the outstanding Human rights under Gadaffi?

Source 1
    Source 2
    Source 3
    Source 4

So, whichever way you look at it, a month before NATO bombings began, Gadaffi was set to receive a UN based Human Rights award, and had been voted as the Amnesty international human rights hero.

I have a collection of pre-anti Gadaffi stories. There was an almost instantaneous swap over of pro-Libya to anti-Libyan news once Gadaffi began the workings to put Libya on the gold standard. The fact that people have completely forgotten this makes me feel like Winston from 1984 sometimes. The Lockerbie Bomber release stories of 2009 marks the most pronounced change in reports on him I've found, when constructing a timeline. After this point, a series of netural stories from mainly american papers begin, which slowly build into heavily negative ones over the year 2009-2010.

There has always been an uneasy history between Libya and the UK. But I find it shocking still that people are willing to sign Gadaffi off as a dictator who abused his people. He turned his country from ranked bottom lowest standard of living to one of the highest standards of living in the world. People there now, born into such a time of prosperity, are confused as to why their homeland has been turned into hell on earth. More people protested in the UK over tuition fees than all of the protests under Gadaffi added together - should China and the UAE bomb us and invade? We certainly didn't elect David Cameron, I'm sure we can find some scrupulous deals he's made too. Perhaps, if enough chinese newspapers report that he is also murdering people in the streets, people will believe it too.

I want to say at this point, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I even care that Gadaffi was removed from power - it was the appropriate move for the interests of our country. We would have been bankrupted, and all too often people forget that Oil provides probably everything in the room whoever is reading this is in. What concerns me is the lack of interest people have in scrutinising what they're told. It's just bad historical practice.

ReputationRep:
    Nasty tone bit uncalled for, but whatever.

This same UN that documented the outstanding Human rights under Gadaffi?

Source 1
    Source 2
    Source 3
    Source 4

So, whichever way you look at it, a month before NATO bombings began, Gadaffi was set to receive a UN based Human Rights award, and had been voted as the Amnesty international human rights hero.

I have a collection of pre-anti Gadaffi stories. There was an almost instantaneous swap over of pro-Libya to anti-Libyan news once Gadaffi began the workings to put Libya on the gold standard. The fact that people have completely forgotten this makes me feel like Winston from 1984 sometimes. The Lockerbie Bomber release stories of 2009 marks the most pronounced change in reports on him I've found, when constructing a timeline. After this point, a series of netural stories from mainly american papers begin, which slowly build into heavily negative ones over the year 2009-2010.

There has always been an uneasy history between Libya and the UK. But I find it shocking still that people are willing to sign Gadaffi off as a dictator who abused his people. He turned his country from ranked bottom lowest standard of living to one of the highest standards of living in the world. People there now, born into such a time of prosperity, are confused as to why their homeland has been turned into hell on earth. More people protested in the UK over tuition fees than all of the protests under Gadaffi added together - should China and the UAE bomb us and invade? We certainly didn't elect David Cameron, I'm sure we can find some scrupulous deals he's made too. Perhaps, if enough chinese newspapers report that he is also murdering people in the streets, people will believe it too.

I want to say at this point, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I even care that Gadaffi was removed from power - it was the appropriate move for the interests of our country. We would have been bankrupted, and all too often people forget that Oil provides probably everything in the room whoever is reading this is in. What concerns me is the lack of interest people have in scrutinising what they're told. It's just bad historical practice.
    Cheers for posting all this.

Gaddafi wanted the currency for the whole of Africa didn't he? Which could've been fantastic for them.

I'm pretty sure Saddam had an attempt at making a currency to rival the west too didn't he?

Both people did a lot of great things in their time for their countries... and apparently a lot of bad things too..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.