Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I can't sleep!!!! stuffy nose making it hard to breatheI!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am so angry right now, developed a slight sniffle about 3 days ago but it was basically nothing so I dismissed it. Early last night I began to get a rather stuffy nose and by the time I went to bed last night it was worse and it took me ages to get to sleep and I was so uncomfortable, I awoke this morning after a ****ty 4 hours sleep and felt like crap, my nose was completely blocked and I felt choked.

It eased off a bit throughout the day but as night time approached again I have been suffering a severe stuffy nose since 6pm, I know there is no point me going to sleep anytime soon because I know my stuffy nose will make that impossible. literally.

How is one supposed to sleep when they feel as though they are being suffocated?

My Brother brought my baby nephew up to our house the other week and the baby had a cold, I don't even like the baby, I think I perhaps got it from him , I am really p.

What shall I do about this??

ReputationRep:
    Helooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

ReputationRep:
    Breathe through your mouth?

ReputationRep:
    put olbas oil on a tissue and sleep with it near your face, or under the covers with your face. Helps me, also helps a cough a little too. Or vic vapour rub on your chest/back. Taking beechums/sudafed regularly also helps alot I find. Get well soon :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smart Ass.)
    I am so angry right now, developed a slight sniffle about 3 days ago but it was basically nothing so I dismissed it. Early last night I began to get a rather stuffy nose and by the time I went to bed last night it was worse and it took me ages to get to sleep and I was so uncomfortable, I awoke this morning after a ****ty 4 hours sleep and felt like crap, my nose was completely blocked and I felt choked.

It eased off a bit throughout the day but as night time approached again I have been suffering a severe stuffy nose since 6pm, I know there is no point me going to sleep anytime soon because I know my stuffy nose will make that impossible. literally.

How is one supposed to sleep when they feel as though they are being suffocated?

My Brother brought my baby nephew up to our house the other week and the baby had a cold, I don't even like the baby, I think I perhaps got it from him , I am really p.

http://beauty.mysupermarket.co.uk/as...pray_15ml.html

Bought this for the first time last week - changed my life. Buy it.

ReputationRep:
    For starters, breathe through your mouth. Try rubbing Vicks or a similar menthol rub on your chest / upper lip as it can help unblock your nose. Also DON'T LIE DOWN. Pile your pillows up so you are in a semi-sitting position instead of lying down, it allows the mucus to drain out of your head (I know that sounds nasty but it's true) so you'll feel a little less stuffy and it should be easier to sleep - and if you have a cough it minimises that too.

ReputationRep:
    Or sleep on one side and the opposite side of my nose will be clear to breathe

I breathe from my mouth I just want medicines and oxygen urgently!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smart Ass.)

I had this for months and still do sometimes. I found out I had nasal polyps and have to use a steroid nasal spray every day. If it gets worse or continues go to your gp, I just wanted you to be aware of nasal polyps so that you are not suffering for months like I did. I was referred to ENT but had to wat 3 months for the appointment my gp wouldnt give me anything strong/that helped until I saw the ENT. So I had to put up with it till the consultant diagnosed it and prescribed fluticasone steroid nasal drops it was a nightmare. I kept goig to the gp but he basically sai i needed to wait, dont know why he couldnt have prescribed these.

Oh and vicks nasal spray really helps BUT dont use it for more than a week or 2 as you can become addicted or get a rebound effect meaning you will want to use it more and more. Its best to avoid it if you can.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds silly but it really works! Wet a flannel with cold water and drape it over your nose and your able to breath clearer again it worked for me ! It's best used when sleeping over your nose! Xx

ReputationRep:
    Die

ReputationRep:
    No I'm a nose breather all durning the day

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.