Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    aaahh wow!!! does she know what shes havin??
    a baby???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    don't you want to know if you were a twin or not??
    apparently 1 in 10 pregnancies are twins, but most have one feotus that dies and becomes asorbed into the other baby. weird! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    why do people want to go around telling everyone about their private lives? I know miscarriage etc is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't get why people just want to blurt it all out. Especially when some people seem to take advantage and seem to want to boast (not the word I'm looking for but it'll do for now) about certain matters.
    i think its just the sharing of experiances...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    apparently 1 in 10 pregnancies are twins, but most have one feotus that dies and becomes asorbed into the other baby. weird! :eek:
    argh! theres another me inside of me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    aaahh wow!!! does she know what shes havin??
    a baby - and from the estimated weights it's not far off an elephant :eek:

I'm afraid pregnancy and birth always make me picture the scene from alien

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    no! pencil! but y? i mean... why?

ReputationRep:

i know thatr, but girl or boy?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    i know thatr, but girl or boy?
    Hopefully we'll know by tommorrow

ReputationRep:

I know what you mean. The idea of childbirth makes me feel sick, especially as my friend described her experience of a caesarian to me as like being joint of beef which is being carved. Shes put me off kids for life!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by viviki)
    I know what you mean. The idea of childbirth makes me feel sick, especially as my friend described her experience of a caesarian to me as like being joint of beef which is being carved. Shes put me off kids for life!!
    Yup the idea of childbirth combined with the fact that hubby's condition is genetic so I'd have to have a bundle of tests before we could even start trying has put me right off having a baby....I'd much rather adopt a child (or two or three) who needed a home and a family.

But then considering the names I was always planning on giving my kids that's probably a good thing for them

ReputationRep:
    Yup the idea of childbirth combined with the fact that hubby's condition is genetic so I'd have to have a bundle of tests before we could even start trying has put me right off having a baby....I'd much rather adopt a child (or two or three) who needed a home and a family.

But then considering the names I was always planning on giving my kids that's probably a good thing for them

can't you have a test or something to see what the chances of it being passed on are- depends what it is i suppose...

ReputationRep:

tell me to mind my beeswax if u want but whats the hubbys condition?

ReputationRep:

My cousins considering adoption. I dont really know why, her blokey already had a 2yr old so I dont know if they are looking to get a child roughly the same age or what. I dont know why she doesnt want her own but I guess there are always kids who want a loving home so its a good thing.

Whats up with your hubby if you dont mind me asking, tell me to bugger off if you do.

What were you planning on calling the poor things. My one friend had a hideous name picked out but thankfully she dropped it when we pointed out it sounded like placenta.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    can't you have a test or something to see what the chances of it being passed on are- depends what it is i suppose...
    yes - but I'd rather not have any tests...it implies that I would abort a child simply for having the same thing as hubby has, and I can't escape the feeling that if his parents had done that then he'd never have been born. The whole idea of aborting a child because of a disability makes me feel sick (not to mention guilty). (although I am pro-choice....it just saddens me the number of foetus's which are aborted through fear and ignorance of disability)

(Original post by lumpycustard)
    tell me to mind my beeswax if u want but whats the hubbys condition?
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_...ich_ataxia.htm

Sounds far worse than it is
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by viviki)
    What were you planning on calling the poor things. My one friend had a hideous name picked out but thankfully she dropped it when we pointed out it sounded like placenta.
    I've got an unhealthy obsession with old lady/men names (ethel, enid, may, reg, alfred, albert etc etc)

Plus I've sworn (to myself so it's binding) that all of my children would have the name toilet somewhere in their name (in tribute to my great grandma who told the priest that she'd call her daughter tractor if she wanted to)

ReputationRep:
    yes - but I'd rather not have any tests...it implies that I would abort a child simply for having the same thing as hubby has, and I can't escape the feeling that if his parents had done that then he'd never have been born. The whole idea of aborting a child because of a disability makes me feel sick (not to mention guilty). (although I am pro-choice....it just saddens me the number of foetus's which are aborted through fear and ignorance of disability)

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_...ich_ataxia.htm

Sounds far worse than it is
    ooh eck!!

ReputationRep:
    Quote: Friedreich's ataxia is an autosomal recessive disease, which means the patient must inherit two affected genes, one from each parent, for the disease to develop. A person who has only one abnormal copy of a gene for a recessive genetic disease such as Friedreich's ataxia is called a carrier. A carrier will not develop the disease but could pass the affected gene on to his or her children. If both parents are carriers of the Friedreich's ataxia gene, their children will have a 1 in 4 chance of having the disease and a 1 in 2 chance of inheriting one abnormal gene that they, in turn, could pass on to their children.

ReputationRep:
    I actually like Enid and May, I think that toilet is not a good plan unless you want your kids to hate you. Save it for a pet.

I agree with what you said about the tests, its a really harsh choice for anyone to ever have to take.

Names are harsh my uncle bless him has two borderline girls names I dont know what my grandparents were thinking and my mums middlename is Christobel! (YUK!)

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unhealthy obsession with old lady/men names (ethel, enid, may, reg, alfred, albert etc etc)

Plus I've sworn (to myself so it's binding) that all of my children would have the name toilet somewhere in their name (in tribute to my great grandma who told the priest that she'd call her daughter tractor if she wanted to)
    Haha! But would you really do that though?? I can imagine the name- Reginald Toilet Queen

ReputationRep:
    so surely your children would only be carriers and wouldn't actually get the disease...unless you are a carrier??

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.